Help needed! Maintaining my goal weight while losing fat and building up/defining muscles.

Options
Hi! I'm Tina and after getting to my target weight I want to eat at maintenance and recomp. I'm 32 yo, 168 cm/60.6 kg (only 600 grams to go!) and I've lost 7.2 kg by healthy eating with a calorie deficit and about 100h of home workouts in 4 months. The only equipment I use is composed of yoga mat, dumbbels, ankle weights, resistance band to help with the pull-ups and a jumping rope.

I will be pleased to have 60kg but I still have some saddle bags and tummy pouch to get rid of, so I want to keep a weight of 60 kg while losing the fat and gain some more muscle mass to define my body.

Please note that I was potato couch, a VERY sedentary person but I do what I can while having a desk job (so I still have to sit on a chair at least 8-9h/day). This is a huge transformation for me and I'm happy with my progress but I know I can do even better. You can read the longer version of my story here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10686689/my-journey-to-a-healthy-life-this-is-my-progress#latest
Long story short, I've exercised more in the last 4 months than in the last 20 years.

Starting this month I bought some protein supplements, because I never manage to touch that macro-nutrient goal and I've read that it's really important to eat lots of proteins in order to help build muscular mass. So I modified my macro percentages into: 35% (117 g) Proteins, 25% (37 g) fats and 40% (134 g) carbohydrates.

As I did this all by myself and have no nutritionist/trainer, any information or advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2epu257in5rt.jpg
ux4abe029f1i.jpg
espgxeea745p.jpg
lcnicqwq45xj.jpg

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work so far!

Have you checked out the recomp thread in the Most Helpful posts on this board, there's some great info in there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love the way you look in all those pictures! And I'm a lady :D
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You look great! Good for you, keep at it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Great work.

Your calories sound low for maintenance?
  • TinaZ2018
    TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work so far!

Have you checked out the recomp thread in the Most Helpful posts on this board, there's some great info in there.

Thank you! Yes, I'm looking into it but it's A LOT to read and didn't really have the time. Of course I'll also read those. :-)
  • TinaZ2018
    Options
    I love the way you look in all those pictures! And I'm a lady :D

Haha thanks!
  • TinaZ2018
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    You look great! Good for you, keep at it!

Thank you! I will. I'm my new project. I want to make myself proud. ;-)
  • TinaZ2018
    Options
    Great work.

Thanks!
    I'm not at maintenance yet (still have 600g to lose).
    My Basal Metabolic Rate is 1335 kcal to which (if it's the case) I add the calories burned through workout. At this moment, in order to lose weight, I'm careful to keep a calorie deficit of 20-25%. So if the total of the burnt calories is 2000 kcal a day, I eat around 1500 kcal.
    My supposition is that for maintenance I must be careful not to have a calorie deficit (so I'll have to eat 2000kcal instead of 1500 kcal) but the proteins proportion of the food must be greater than these months of losing weight.
    I'm not well informed yet... :-) But I'll read more, for sure.

Have a great day!

• TavistockToad
    Options
    TinaZ2018 wrote: »
    Great work.

Thanks!
    My Basal Metabolic Rate is 1335 kcal to which (if it's the case) I add the calories burned through workout. At this moment, in order to lose weight, I'm careful to keep a calorie deficit of 20-25%. So if the total of the burnt calories is 2000 kcal a day, I eat around 1500 kcal.
    My supposition is that for maintenance I must be careful not to have a calorie deficit (so I'll have to eat 2000kcal instead of 1500 kcal) but the proteins proportion of the food must be greater than these months of losing weight.

Have a great day!

the maximum deficit you want is 10-15% when you are so close to goal really.

no, ideally you want more protein when you are losing weight than maintaining.
  • TinaZ2018
    Options
    Great work.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

Lately I kept a deficit of 20% but instead on going down, I got 700 grams back. I hope for other reasons.
    My current percentages are 35% Proteins, 25% fats and 40% carbohydrates. How do you think they should be for maintenance and why?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Great work.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

Lately I kept a deficit of 20% but instead on going down, I got 700 grams back. I hope for other reasons.
    My current percentages are 35% Proteins, 25% fats and 40% carbohydrates. How do you think they should be for maintenance and why?

they can be whatever you want them to be as long as you get adequate protein (0.6-0.8g per lb of bodyweight) and fat (0.3-0.4g per lb of bodyweight).

mine are 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein i usually end up with less carbs and a bit more fat as more fat keeps me full.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Since you are still in a deficit you would keep your protein on the higher end to preserve what you muscle you have while working out..(see above poster recommendations)..you can always adjust macros at maintenance to find what works for you.

I myself am more satiated eating fats vs carbs...but I do love my days where I get to enjoy both. I carb-cycle so my macros change each day..but I have a specific eating program made for myself that I have followed for four months and am at maintenance..this doesn’t necessarily work for everyone because my macros change each day and repeat again the same each week...some might like a more steady course each day.

Anyways...Keep up the hard work! You look fantastic!
  • TinaZ2018
    Options
    BNY721 wrote: »
    Since you are still in a deficit you would keep your protein on the higher end to preserve what you muscle you have while working out..(see above poster recommendations)..you can always adjust macros at maintenance to find what works for you.

Thank you so much!
    Well... protein at 35% (100-140g) is my version on the higher end (and that is hardly done with protein bars/powder). Before I had 60-100g. I find it really hard to reach the protein goal (I'm not the biggest fan of meats). See below my protein intake evolution.

I'm still working on the last bit of weight. It's being very stubborn. After I reach my goal, I'll decide how to proceed. Meanwhile I'll try to read about maintenance as much information as I can. Thanks!

njzmjfwpij6r.jpg

• TavistockToad
    Options

Thank you so much!
    Well... protein at 35% (100-140g) is my version on the higher end (and that is hardly done with protein bars/powder). Before I had 60-100g. I find it really hard to reach the protein goal (I'm not the biggest fan of meats). See below my protein intake evolution.

I'm still working on the last bit of weight. It's being very stubborn. After I reach my goal, I'll decide how to proceed. Meanwhile I'll try to read about maintenance as much information as I can. Thanks!

njzmjfwpij6r.jpg

aim for over 100g of protein and you should be fine.
  • sarithasudhakaran
    Options

Thank you so much!

njzmjfwpij6r.jpg

@TinaZ2018 How you are getting 35% protein without meat? I want to increase my protein intake and I'm also not much fan of meat and I have lactose intolerance...I find it bit difficult to get protein from plant products.. Are you taking protein supplements? It would be great if you could provide some infos about protein sources.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    For those of you not big meat fans, I highly recommend you up your egg, dairy and seafood consumption. I'm not a big meat fan either. Most of my protein comes from those sources. I've also found there is some meat I can tolerate better than others. And jerky. I do love jerky.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great thread. You look fantastic, I’m in the same position nearly at goal and wanting to start planning maintenance and a recomp to get rid of the last bit of visible fat pouches.
  • TinaZ2018
    edited September 2018
    Options
    [/quote]

@TinaZ2018 How you are getting 35% protein without meat? I want to increase my protein intake and I'm also not much fan of meat and I have lactose intolerance...I find it bit difficult to get protein from plant products.. Are you taking protein supplements? It would be great if you could provide some infos about protein sources.[/quote]

I occasionally eat meat - it's a huge protein value. I usually eat yogurt at breakfast. I found this one from Olympus and has 14g of proteins. Also, sea food and fish is high in protein and ...less meaty. :-) Peanut butter (over 31g/100g), lentils (9g/100g) and also very high in fibers, beans (8.7g/100g), pasta made of red lentils etc. You can search on Google foods high in proteins.

Yes, since about a month I started introducing some protein supplements, first of all to stop my cravings (and I discovered super tasty stuff!).

1. Weider vanilla protein pancake mix and I fill it with banana and peanut butter
    https://www.weiderworld.com/brands/weider-sports-nutrition/catid/1336/eid/1920/protein-pancake-mix

2. Weider Yippie! protein bar which are SO tasty that even the colleagues that are not on a diet bought a bunch. My fav are Chocolate lava, salted caramel and Cookies. They have them in 45g and 70g sizes. The big one has ~280 kcal of which 26g proteins and you can eat it instead of breakfast. You fill full, you stop your sweets cravings and is full of proteins. No sugar.
    (https://www.fitnessdigital.co.uk/weider-nutrition-yippie!-bar-12-x-70gr-/p/10012249/)

Until now I mentioned stuff that I mainly bought for my cravings for sweets. Well, the powder I bought for that extra dose of protein to help me build muscle and define.

3. Weider Nut Protein Chocko spread (it has an amazing cocoa taste... simply delicios). 21gr proteins/100g. Goes well in pancakes, simple or on crackers.
    https://www.weiderturk.com/weider-nut-protein-choco-spread-findikli.html

4. Weider Vanilla Day and Night casein. It's tasty and made with 200ml skim milk has a milkshake-like consistency. It's really tasty.
    https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/weider-100-casein-4-lbs/26598

But that's about it.
  • TinaZ2018
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The last couple of weeks were terrible. Both me and my husband are ill and exhausted of going to the doctors' appointments and I barely had time to breathe... so I haven't researched the maintenance info that I wanted. But I promise I will.

On the brighter side, OMG OMG OMG Target achieved!!! I'm SO happy! I managed to do this in 4,1 months and 100 workouts, while eating healthy with a calorie deficit. I feel so proud and accomplished... It was hard but it was worth it!!! I almost look like when I was 18. I think I actually look better, because I'm also toned.
    Now I'm going into maintenance, so I'll lower the protein intake a bit, adjust the BMR to my actual weight and eat back the burnt calories, so that I won't have a deficit.

rhbn9btfjsbd.jpg

1h7209irsflt.jpg