Starting out

Options
Hello,

I am getting an elliptical over the weekend and i would like to start my lifestyle change on Monday.

What are some good ways to start without being overwhelmed?

Hoping to lose 30-35lbs in about 6 months.. just in time for spring.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Why Monday? You don't have to wait for a machine to do exercise or wait to start a lifestyle change on a given day. Add a couple extra handfuls of veg to your dinner tonight, have a bit more protein at breakfast tomorrow, have a smaller lunch, have a piece of fruit as one of your snacks, dance around your living room, and there you have it-- you're implementing a healthier lifestyle without too much effort, and you can make more changes from there. You don't have to make it harder by setting an arbitrary start date, which might get you stuck in the mindset of "I'm doing a diet" instead of "I'm making some changes for better long term health".
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'd say Monday is great.

Use this week to learn how to log. I wouldn't change anything in particular, just log accurately. Then you'll have some actual data to make informed decisions on what you can sustainably change. I'd recommend grabbing a food scale this week too if you don't already have one. Good luck, and welcome to MFP :)
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.. I say i would like to start on Monday because i want to make sure i have enough greens in my house and healthier options than what is there now.

Thanks for all of your helpful advice..
    I lost weight 7 years ago and slowly almost gained it all back :(
    I need to find my rhythm and beat and accomplish my goals & maintain!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you just have to eat less, and you can eat less of anything.

A healthy diet is balanced and varied, and you can eat anything in moderation.

A healthy relationship with food is paying attention to diet, but also being relaxed around food and allowing oneself to enjoy eating.

Going all-in is the surest way to go out with a bang.

To maintain, you need to know how to make the best of what you have.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    To lose weight, you just have to eat less, and you can eat less of anything.

A healthy diet is balanced and varied, and you can eat anything in moderation.

A healthy relationship with food is paying attention to diet, but also being relaxed around food and allowing oneself to enjoy eating.

Going all-in is the surest way to go out with a bang.

To maintain, you need to know how to make the best of what you have.

This makes sense!

Thanks so much!
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Always meet yourself where you are at. Do not make HUGE changes all at once. Small ones that you can stick with, and add more as you go. Assess every day, what you did great, what you can do better, and what you need to stop doing. Do not beat yourself up for making a mistake/slip up, learn from it. Why did it happen? Don't be afraid to feel the feelings that come along with it all, good and the bad. Journaling is HUGE for why and getting out those feelings that fuel the fire.

Also, DO NOT allow yourself to hang ANYTHING on the elliptical, and keep it in a place that you will see it every day.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options

Also, DO NOT allow yourself to hang ANYTHING on the elliptical, and keep it in a place that you will see it every day.

So i've bought a treadmill, a bowflex.. sold them both i'm buying an elliptical because that's the only thing that has worked for me.

I'm hoping that once i start on Monday that i can keep myself in sync with the whole exercising and eating well thing.

I plan on healthy food shopping and giving myself a head start.

I know you can eat any foods in moderation and i know it's mind over matter but i guess i've always kept them together.. eat well and exercise.

I won't throw anything on there - promise!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you use your elliptical's calorie estimate, keep in mind that they notorious for overestimating calorie burn. Many people on here only "eat back" half of their exercise calories for that reason.
    Other than that, log diligently and be patient! :)
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    If you use your elliptical's calorie estimate, keep in mind that they notorious for overestimating calorie burn. Many people on here only "eat back" half of their exercise calories for that reason.
    Other than that, log diligently and be patient! :)

Yesssssssssssss had them put me at like 1,500 some calories.. they included work outs 5 days a week for 30 minutes. . i probably won't start out 5 days a week maybe 3.