Newly diagnosed DIABETIC ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Options
Hi all,
I'm Lisa and I just found out I am a diabetic. Like full blown, I skipped the pre-diabetes stage! I'm 128 lbs and 5'6" and a vegetarian. My meals always consisted of carbs and sugars and now I'm not sure what to eat. Anyone else a diabetic with meal ideas (easy meal ideas - I can't cook to save my life!) I'm so scared my life will suck now. I dont know what to expect and I dont know what to eat. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
Thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm Lisa and I just found out I am a diabetic. Like full blown, I skipped the pre-diabetes stage! I'm 128 lbs and 5'6" and a vegetarian. My meals always consisted of carbs and sugars and now I'm not sure what to eat. Anyone else a diabetic with meal ideas (easy meal ideas - I can't cook to save my life!) I'm so scared my life will suck now. I dont know what to expect and I dont know what to eat. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
    Thank you

you didn't ask your doctor any of this?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are they sending you for diabetes education? If not, then you need to ask for it. You should be getting some classes with a registered dietician that cover dietary recommendations.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You absolutely should be seeing a dietician. Because so much of your food choices depend a great deal on if you are Type 1 or Type 2. As well as what medications your Dr. has put you on. Yes there is tons of info on the internet on diabetes some good some a bunch of bs. But your starting point should be coordination between your health providers and sending you for education and to a dietician. I speak as a T2 Diabetic since 2001.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you

i was diagnosed diabetic too. my doctor sent me to a dietician and also recommended the Dash Diet book. where you don't seem to need to lose weight you could probably add more calories, but it is a good book that lays down some principles that apply to diabetics and has some healthy meal ideas. (such as eat 4 small meals a day instead of three bigger ones)
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you

I went into shock for the first six months after my diagnosis. It was really difficult changing my eating, but I made gradual changes, and a year later my diabetes is really well controlled through a healthier diet and medication. Try and put it in perspective; it's not a death sentence, rather think of it as a wake up call to change your lifestyle and become healthier.

Firstly, I'd recommend Googling diabetes websites to find other T2 diabetics to talk to. Your HCP should provide you with an appointment for a dietitian, and arrange for you to attend a food course to find out what to eat to better stabilise your blood glucose (BG). If you can't give up all free/added sugar immediately, start cutting down right away.

These are some basics I learned on my food course:

Switch to diet sodas, sugar free/no added sugar cordials, iced teas and fruit punches, sugar free sweets, artificial sweeteners or stevia.

Increase your vegetables, whole grains, beans, pulses, lean meats, fish, and use small quantities of healthy fats like rapeseed or olive oil, and plant based spreads instead of butter and margarine.

Have some dairy every day, like 200ml semi skimmed milk, 50-100g 0% natural or no added sugar yogurt, 30g hard cheese, or 50g soft or cottage cheese for calcium and protein.

Starchy carbs like potatoes can be reduced, or you can substitute sweet potatoes, which is a vegetable, instead. Reducing carbs is important, but you don't have to limit or stop eating them. Diabetes UK recommends 5-14 portions of carbs (up to 130g carbs) a day.

Wholewheat pasta, wholemeal, granary or seeded bread, whole cereals like fruit & fibre, oatmeal/low sugar granola and no added sugar muesli, and brown rice, bulgur wheat, and quinoa are good options too. Many of the wholewheat/wholegrain options release glucose more slowly.

A typical portion of carbs would be:

A slice of bread
    Three small potatoes
    One medium potato
    120g mashed potato
    A handful (30-45g) cooked rice or pasta
    A medium tortilla wrap
    1/2-1 bagel
    1 pitta bread
    25-45g wholewheat/wholegrain cereal
    25g uncooked oatmeal

Drink more fluids and try to lower your salt intake. Lunch meats, corned beef and cured meats can be quite high in salt, so try to have less of those.

Try to eat about the same amount of carbs at every meal to give your blood glucose a better chance of staying stable through the day, and if you overeat a lot of carb and sugar heavy food, reduce it or cut it out until you can stabilise your BG enough to start including those foods in your diet again. You can still have doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, cakes etc, just in more moderation than you might have had before.

Some breakfast things to try:

Half a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, 150ml fruit juice

Boiled or poached egg, 1 rasher bacon, 1 sausage, 1 grilled tomato, 40g steamed asparagus, 40g grilled mushrooms

25-45g no added sugar muesli/low sugar granola/fruit & fibre/2 weetabix, 100ml semi skimmed milk, 150ml fruit juice, 1 slice toast with 10g peanut butter

1 pot fat free, no added sugar natural/fruit yogurt, 80g blueberries, 1 slice toast with 10g spread and/or peanut butter, boiled egg, grilled tomato, 80g grilled mushrooms

You can make simple soups for lunch and dinner, have a sandwich, have meat and vegetables, pasta with sauce, grilled or baked fish with vegetables, mixed bean chilli, salmon wrap with salad, basically normal average meals, just with more veg and a few less carbs.

It's not too complicated, especially if you're used to weighing and logging your food, so don't panic and think your life is over. My diagnosis was the spur I used to change my lifestyle and I'm healthier now than I have been in a long time. My diagnosis didn't end my life, it just ended the unhealthy part of it. I hope you get to that point very soon!
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you

You're getting a lot of advice here, some good, some questionable. Forget easy meal prep, and keep in mind what you are trying to do. And that should be to naturally rid your body of food that causes diabetes. I'm not saying you don't already know this, but, learning what causes diabetes in the first place is where you should start. Sometimes it is genetic too.

I can say from experience that dramatically reducing your carb intake will cause your body to produce less insulin. Most doctors are pill vendors and never try to determine the underlying cause of a disease. Some actually do some real doctoring by asking you about your diet.

The Magic Pill is on Netflix and should be required viewing for everyone that has been negatively affected by the disastrous food pyramid. That pyramid has directly caused the nationwide epidemic of obesity and diabetes. Carbs and fat should be at the top, not the bottom. The brain uses fat and ketones as its fuel. Depriving your brain of essential fuel causes one to slowly descend into a brain fog. Once you give your brain what it needs, you should notice a veil lifting enabling you to think more clearly. And carbs, well, overeating them means the body has to produce much more insulin to keep sugar under control.

To my way of thinking, you only need to know what happens to your body when you eat far more carbs than you should. And what happens when you buy into the no-fat craze. It's all pretty interesting stuff.

So, you should not look at this as way to control a specific disease, but as a way to improve your overall health and well-being. Doing so should cure a lot of ills. A LCHF WOE is only one way.

I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you

Assuming your diabetes is Type 2, you may find the following group to be of interest, lots of advice there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

All the best with dealing with this. In addition to nutrition planning, my doctor keeps emphasizing the important role played by exercise (regular daily cardio and resistance training) in attempting to drive the A1C number down.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Type 1 or Type 2?

In either case, eating low carb will help. That's tough as a vegetarian. Do you eat eggs? Dairy?
  • lisalisaopp
    lisalisaopp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I knew I'd find lots of support on MFP! Thank you. As far as the first few replies I've read, I just found out last night that my A1C was high, so I'm in the process of making appointments (endocrinologist, primary care and hopefully a dietitian).
    As far as my behavior and eating habits from this point on, I have to do what I have to do. It is what it is, and I don't ever cheat. My goal is always to be as healthy as I can be so I won't have something that is going to affect me negatively. I know this is going to be hard, but becoming a vegetarian wasn't all that easy either. I look at it as a choice, in this case to have major health issues or not.
    Someone brought up a good point, about finding and treating the underlying cause. Aside from it being an autoimmune disease, or being overweight and living an unhealthy lifestyle I didn't think there were other causes. I have a lot to learn and I'll get there, and (not that I needed anymore stress in my life) but I'm happy in a weird way that I definitely have to give up my sugar addiction. The hardest thing will be a cold can of soda! Ugh.
    Anyway, thank you for all of the advice. I hope I can find some good recipes or premade food choices. Luckily, eggplant parm seems to be an okay food!
    By the way, ve been a "vegetarian" for about 15 years, but I eat dairy, and fish.

Lisa.
  • mariselaalves
    mariselaalves Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 42 year old. Mother to 5 kids. Ages 25-16. 2 gorgeous grandkids. Ages 4 and 2. I'm working on myself to beat type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I need to lose at least 96 lbs or more to kick these pills. Feel free to add me. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ‘Ÿ๐Ÿ’ช I believe together with great support groups and God we can all achieve our goals and beat this. ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ™Œ