Gaining weight

Options
Hello, I'm so confused how to lose weight. My daily calorie allotment is 1200 per MFP. 3 days this past week I ate less than 800 calories and 4 days I ate a little over 1000 calories. I've been exercising 5-6 days a week for the last 4 weeks getting over 10,000 steps most days. I do have quite a bit of calories left to use but use earned from exercising but don't use them in fear of gaining weight.

I understand that I may not eat enough calories some days with is basically because I've been limiting the high starchy carbs out my diet. I was expecting to lose at least 2 lbs but instead gained 1 lb which is still showing on the scale 2 days later. Why would I gain weight considering my caloric intake and exercise this past week? This is so frustrating. I've been loosing and gaining the same pounds for 8 months while doing weight watchers so I decided to give MFP a try. It seemed to work the first 2 weeks but now I'm back to gaining again. Any ideas is greatly appreciated. I've given up so many foods I like and I fit in exercise inspite of the pains I encounter, just so I can lose weight and get healthy but it seems I'm wasting my time.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MSolberg926, what do you mean by balance at every meal? It seems if I include carbs in my meals I gain weight so I try to keep my meals consisting of protein, veggies and fruit and keep my fruit to 3 servings a day due to sugar content. I wish I can just figure out what works for like so many others seem to do.
    I think it's a more overall balance - but she can answer for herself.

What I would like to comment on, is that you're not measuring output correctly either, not just input. Carbs bind water, so you may retain some water if you go from low carb to high carb. But that is water, not fat. And veggies and fruit are mainly carbs anyway, so you're not cutting carbs. Unless you have a real (medical) reason to limit/monitor sugar, just don't track it.

People have found out what works for them through learning, which is part taking in correct information, part experimenting and experiencing, part reflection and analysis, part acceptance and internalizing.
  • karen_hunter11
    karen_hunter11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    KellyW444, thank you. It helps knowing others understand the frustration. I would be floored if I was doing everything you mentioned you do and weight loss was so slow. I hate all the work it takes just to lose 1 darn lb a week. But I like the results when it all adds up and how it makes me feel which is why I keep trying year after year. I hope you find out what's going on with you sooner than later. But congrats for all the effort you're putting in!