Calories

Options
Do you guys use all the calories given? Or do you aim to use less? X

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat less because I know that I have a bite here and there while cooking etc. So I try to stay under a couple hundred.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal already has your needed deficit in it. I worked hard to ensure I was logging as accurately as possible and aimed to be within 50 cals up or down of my goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to set a calorie target that includes an estimation of your day to day activity, but doesn't include purposeful exercise - such that if you are logging accurately - you would achieve your weight loss goals by hitting your calorie target. Using a food scale and being very consistent with your logging will help with that.

Many people (myself included) look at weekly calories instead of daily so that we can balance our intake throughout the week - I tend to eat less during the week so I can indulge more on the weekends. It's not a "cheat" meal or day, I hate that concept, but something that tends to be my natural social and eating pattern.

If you haven't already, take a look at the stickied Most Helpful Forum Posts at the top of the Getting Started section as they will have great info on how to best use the site, how to log accurately, and other FAQ from these boards.

• poolplayer67
    poolplayer67 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    amy5061 wrote: »
    Do you guys use all the calories given? Or do you aim to use less? X

I'm allowed 2230 cal a day...Some days i get to around 2150 or so and some days if i have 400-500 to go and it's 7pm i will say screw it and not eat anymore. Yeah i'm a bit hungry but i drink 720oz a water at least a day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I aim to be within 100 cals of my goal plus or minus each day and right at or a smidge under for the week, personally. But I can see why some might want to build in a cushion if they know some of their estimates are off.
  • amy5061
    amy5061 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone ☺️
  • nder00ij
    nder00ij Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose some weight and fat percentage, so I'm trying to stay a bit below (+/- 250cal). But I wanted to make sure to know what I'm doing with those calories, rather then just going off MFP blindly.

I used http://globalrph.com/medcalcs/harris-benedict-basal-metabolic-rate-calorie-calc/ to calculate my calorie requirement and then https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator to match my MFP goals as close to it as possible at https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

The difference with what MFP suggested was just about 100 calories, but at least now I know where it comes from, rather then just blindly believing what MFP suggests.