How exactly do cheat days work?

Options
2»

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    They don't work, at least for me. My deficit (1/2 pound per week at this point) is small enough that I can EASILY demolish it with abandon. Some days I eat more than others, but I always log it. Some weeks I have no deficit and don't feel like I really ever went that 'crazy.' Which is exactly why I have to log it all :lol: No point in lying to myself.
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Cheat day for me usually mean I eat a burger and drink a beer...Then its back to normal...Life just isn't worth living without the occasional burger and beer lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, one cheat day can wipe out your weekly deficit. It just depends on how many extra calories you ate that day compared to your weekly deficit. It’s not that hard to eat an extra few thousand calories with a huge breakfast platter, big sandwich & chips for lunch, pizza, beer, and ice cream for dinner, if you’re not closely watching your portions. Easy to wipe out a 1-2 lbs deficit for the week!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    What you described is more so binging then restricting.....bad mindset to have
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule cheat days, but if I feel like I need it (hunger level, energy level) I eat either maintenance or smaller deficit for a day. It doesn't ruin previous days, and I don't make up for it. I just consider it a break.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    To me a cheat day implies that you are not logging or concerning yourself with your calorie intake. Your eating and drinking is not planned. It is food or drink you avoid or severely restrict otherwise usually. It would be possible to eat or drink enough calories in such a day to wipe out your calorie deficit for the week. It is possible to overdo things because you restrict so much the rest of the week. I don't view this as a healthy way to approach weight los personally.

You could have a maintenance calorie day where you eat or drink up to your current maintenance level. This involves some tracking/planning. It is an extra 250-1,000 calories to work with depending on what rate of loss you chose. If you have too many maintence days a week then your rate of loss can slow or stop obviously.

You could plan to have a higher calorie day and reduce your calories through the rest of the week to accomadate that. Look at your weekly calorie intake. If you are not dipping below 1,200 calories most days of the week just so you can use the calories on alcohol on the weekend it probably is fine. If your calorie goal is already the minimum recommended you might not want to do this kind of thing.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    cheat days are so your metabolism doesn't adjust to eating lower calories stalling weight loss. i make sure to have regular cheat days weekly. (weekends are basically a free for all within reason of course) and it seems to be working for me.

ya......dont listen to this at all LOL
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you look at this "dieting" as a lifestyle change and not a sentence (with an end date) then it is easier to look at your eating habits in the long term, big picture, and not in the short term ("Oh my God I am going to gain it all back!) Relax!

It's all about the calories. Burn more, eat more to maintain your weight. Burn less, eat less to lose weight.

To gain a pound you have to eat 3,500 extra calories over what you burn per day.
    To lose a pound you have to eat 3,500 less calories less than you burn a day.

To get an idea about what I am talking about, you have to know your your resting metabolic rate (or RMR), (the amount of calories that your body burns while you are at complete rest (i.e. reclining with muscles relaxed) to keep itself alive and digest food, but nothing else. More specifically, resting metabolic rate calories are burned to digest, absorb, and store the nutrients in the food you've eaten.

To raise that RMR (burn more calories) you have to exercise!

Calculator Formulas
    Male (metric): RMR = [(13.75 x WKG) + (5 x HC) - (6.76 x age) + 66] x 1.1
    Male (imperial): RMR = [(6.25 x WP) + (12.7 x HI) - (6.76 x age) + 66] x 1.1
    Female (metric): RMR = [(9.56 x WKG) + (1.85 x HC) - 4.68 x age) + 655] x 1.1
    Female (imperial): RMR = [(4.35 x WP) + (4.7 x HI) - 4.68 x age) + 655] x 1.1
    where

HC = Height in Centimetres
    HI = Height in Inches
    WKG = Weight in Kilograms
    WP = Weight in Pounds

If you suck at math, see this link:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/resting-metabolic-rate-rmr-calculator.shtml

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All that said, are you eating a calorie deficit / exercising just to lose weight (and are craving a cheat day)?

If that is the case, what would your maintenance calories be for your ideal weight? Would they be higher? If they are way higher (like more than 350 calories, then you are not eating enough for the exercising you are doing).

My experience has been that when I am vigorously exercising that there is a difference between anaerobic and aerobic exercise and they each do different things.

When we exercise aerobically our bodies use glycogen and fat as fuel. (I feel less hungry because my body is using stored fat as fuel).

When we exercise anaerobically glycogen is used as fuel. (I crave carbs because once all the glycogen has been depleted I hit a wall).

You may want to think about your macros also, depending on the type of exercising you are doing.

I tend to do better on less sugar and carbs, but that's me.

A book that I really like is by Covert Bailey, Fit or Fat, which is based on the exercise formula of Frequency, Intensity and Time - it's super cheap used and it goes over a lot of this stuff in very easy to understand language.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to do a "cheat" meal once every three weeks or so. BUT I would only eat up to maintenance. I never did a cheat day. It helped to make the diet livable but I had to be very careful. I was on 1200 calories/day so I got burned out without the odd dinner at maintenance. In the end it comes down to eating less than you burn overall in order to lose weight. However that works for you is what matters.