Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much spinach to get my 5 servings of veg a day?

I was researching how many servings of veg we're supposed to get in a day and I'm a tad confused. I add spinach to a lot of my meals and was trying to figure out how much raw spinach equals one serving. I read on livestrong.com that a serving of leafy greens is 16oz but dang, that's over 450 grams, a massive amount of spinach for one serving! I looked around on other websites but the info is all over the place. Anyone with a more definitive answer?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Aim for 800g overall for the day, from a mixture of sources - different colours are good.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Aha, those cups again. It's fluid ounces, again.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    This is a good resource: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/vegetables
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I was researching how many servings of veg we're supposed to get in a day and I'm a tad confused. I add spinach to a lot of my meals and was trying to figure out how much raw spinach equals one serving. I read on livestrong.com that a serving of leafy greens is 16oz but dang, that's over 450 grams, a massive amount of spinach for one serving! I looked around on other websites but the info is all over the place. Anyone with a more definitive answer?

The 16 oz is meant as a volume measurement - 2 cups, not weight. As leafy greens are so low cal, I consider 1 serving to be an eyeballed giant mound bigger than could be stuffed into a measuring cup. Though that's probably not definitive :lol:
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

The 16 oz is meant as a volume measurement - 2 cups, not weight. As leafy greens are so low cal, I consider 1 serving to be an eyeballed giant mound bigger than could be stuffed into a measuring cup. Though that's probably not definitive :lol:

Thank you! I was thinking 16oz was meant as weight - but then that would just bonkers.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Aim for 800g overall for the day, from a mixture of sources - different colours are good.

Man, I like my veg but 800g a day still seems like a ton of veggies.
  • TavistockToad

Yep! I am usually closer to about half that!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    A UK serving of veg is 80g, but for things like fresh spinach and leaf salads that are physically light in weight, a couple or three handfuls can count as a serving. Spinach cooks down quite drastically, so if you cook a 100g bag that can also count as a serving.
  • TavistockToad

Yep! I am usually closer to about half that!

Having said that I got to 700g with a salad for lunch and home made chilli for tea on Monday!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    I use 80g raw = 1 serving as a rough rule of thumb for all veggies/fruits (it's related to that 800g/day idea). Since I'm weighing food in grams in general anyway, it's very easy. Vary the types and colors for best results
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Before I got a food scale I was always wondering how tightly I was supposed to pack the measuring cup. Love weighing instead!

I usually call 113 grams of spinach that I am going to cook one serving, and less if I'm going to eat it raw.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited September 2018
    According to that USDA site referenced above, one "cup" of spinach is for cooked spinach.

2 cups of raw spinach is = to ONE cup of our 2.5 cups needed for the day... How confusing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I generally consider 80-100 grams of any fruit or vegetable to be a serving. I'm usually around 500-600 grams or so of veg and fruit per day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    On the Australia Dietary Guidelines ... about serving sizes:

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/national/resource/australian-dietary-guidelines-standard-serves

vegetable_serves_table_web.jpg

I eat 150 grams of veggies at lunch, and about twice that at dinner. So probably a total of about 6 servings of veggies. Most days.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    On the Australia Dietary Guidelines ... about serving sizes:

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/national/resource/australian-dietary-guidelines-standard-serves

vegetable_serves_table_web.jpg

I eat 150 grams of veggies at lunch, and about twice that at dinner. So probably a total of about 6 servings of veggies. Most days.

I have always gone by the 1 serving = 75 gms. Just added up today's total for fruit and vegetable and came just under 900 gms. It would be over if you included popcorn as a vegetable!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I try to make it easy on myself and I consider a "serving" of vegetables to be 100g, I count potatoes and corn as a starch/grain rather than a veg, and aim to get 4-5 100g servings of veg a day.