Losing weight after 50 is HARD!!!!

Options
I went for a physical in May and had a kick in the head when I stepped on the scale. Honestly., I was just furious with myself! I’ve been working out regularly and watching nutrition. So far down 30 but it is SLOW going! When I was younger I could easily go to a low carb and drop a few pounds a week with ease.

Not so these days.

Does anyone else have that experience?

Val

Replies

• mightykaytor
    mightykaytor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Okay, first off, good for you for making that change! 30 lbs is awesome, even if it's just a start.

IME, a lot of older people struggle more because over the years they've become less active than they were in their 20s and thirties, as exercise is a good compensation for those extra calories that sneak in due to imprecise tracking.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I started my process at a month under 54. Lost 48 pounds over about 7 months like clockwork following MFP guidelines............

And by weighing and measuring my food

I ate the amount of calories MFP suggested +/- 100 to 200. When I exercised, I ate those calories back.

I've been maintaining using those exact processes. Anecdotally, being over 50 doesn't make a difference (because age is already accounted for in the estimates).
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Age wasn't a factor for me. I turn 69 next month, lost approximately 50 lbs (fluctuations) and have maintained for 3+ years now. I lost those pounds over a 15 month period. Even in maintenance I still weigh myself every day and log every day using a food scale. A 30 lb loss since May is fantastic so congrats.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 pounds since mid January. Right now, I'm in a slump, but it is of my own doing. I have gotten a bit sloppy in the evening and have stopped my daily walks. Losing weight this time has actually been easier for me. I was finally in the right frame of mind. Today, is my get it together day! No more being sloppy and back to getting some type of exercise in! You are off to a great start! Keep it up!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I hear ya but it can be done. I lost all my weight from 59 - 61. I've managed to maintain so far and I'll be 62 this month. I think it was definately a bit slower than when I was younger BUT I reached my goal and am keeping it off this time! Slow and steady wins the race as they say. Hang in there. You will get there.
  • decaturcindy
    decaturcindy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and I started this journey this past February and have lost 60 pounds. It has not been easy but I feel like it wasn't any harder than it was when I did this at 40. I have religiously tracked and stayed w/in my recommended calories. I also make sure I close all of my rings on my Apple Watch every day. I do that by taking a walk almost every day. The other days I take a class at the gym. I was a total couch potato before! Small steps lead to great things!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    71 yes it is harder but we have to keep at it or what is the alternative- more weight gain.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I’m 62, and down 70 pounds from my fluffiest at 240 in 2008. I was 180 and fit when I had a heart attack in 2014. I’m now between 165-170, mainly due to low carb eating and consistent daily exercise. It can be done.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't think metabolism slows down, but I think activity becomes way less. I lost between the ages of 47 and 56, 97 pounds, but really stepped up my activity along with changing my diet.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Age has much less than people like to think. The only difference is activity and lean muscle mass (which is dependent on activity).

What's the hurry? Good things take time.

Welcome aboard!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It takes commitment and dedication at any age.
    I lost over half of my body weight at age 60. I bought into the whole "it's harder to lose weight over 40" hype and consequently, didn't really even try for all those years between 40 and 60. Found MFP and discovered a lot of successful people over 40 that lost weight. I figured if they can do it, so can I. So can you!
  • NovaVita365
    NovaVita365 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and lost 10 pounds in 2 months without strictly following any exercise or meal plans. That said I gained a few back when my knee acted up and it was hard to get around. I didn't make any adjustment to my diet and was not doing any exercise. I am also not the most patient person and would like to be losing around 20lbs a month.
    A lot of things come into play and not everyone is the same. I will say this MFP ABSOLUTELY works. Like others have said take it slow and steady and stick with it. try not to get discouraged and stick with it. Also the more weight you have to lose the more you lose up front, the less you have to lose the less you lose up front. The weight loss is relative to the weight needed to lose. If you've lost 30 lbs in 4 months that's really not bad. The recommended weight loss rat is from -2 lbs per week.. One thing I HAVE found is that when I eat certain things my body processes them differently and I cut back on them. Keep up the good work. You got this
  • Kevin_Hassenpflug
    Options
    I'm 45 and it aint easy - Im trying to loose 150 pounds. It's slow going.
  • lisacnm
    lisacnm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder than when we were younger, but it can happen. You have to really look into all of the factors related to weight gain and loss including--usual activity level during the day (not just "working out time", ie, do you commute? Have a desk job?), medications, hormone levels, nutrient content of diet, mindset, stressors (I definitely have way more of these at age 53 than I did in my 20s and 30s), muscle mass (automatically decreases as you age). You can do it but you have to be smart about it and do your research!