Runners- Injury help please?

Options
Hi Everyone,

About two weeks back, I went for a run and when I came home, my thigh was aching beyond belief. I shook it off as just some pain from running my butt off so hard, and it was better in two days. A week after that, it happened again. I again shook it off as exercise pain, and it again healed. I jumped on the treadmill after work a few days ago, and I had been running not two minutes when the same spot started to ache. I stretch thoroughly and warm up so I don't think it could be that. The spot that is aching (description might not help) but its the very top of my thigh in the middle, almost where it looks as if your thigh connects to your hip. I have pelvis alignment issues and back issues, and I haven't been to my chiropractor in two months out of sheer laziness (bad me) and have been wondering if that could be the cause. Does anyone have any insight for me? Because I really love running and would like to correct this problem. Sorry for the long post but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• makemetinyplz
    Options
    It could be a muscle spasm or maybe that leg is just really weak. Talk to a doctor about it and he'll tell you what you can do :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately with what you are describing I think you need an MRI or at least an xray to rule out a fracture. Beyond that it is probably a muscle strain or a muscle imbalance that you have, but you have to rule out the bad stuff first.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you pulled something like a muscle, the best bet is to stay off of it for a few days. I could be the stretching -- I've heard you shouldn't stretch before a run but afterwards-- and don't race through it.

If it continues to hurt after a couple of days -- go to the doctor.
  • chachey
    chachey Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried the vibram fivefingers shoes? I used to get really bad shin splints, and my legs killed me after running, but I tried VF's and I haven't had shin splints since! They are a bit difficult to get used to, and the pain may get worse before it gets better, but they are the easiest and most comfortable shoe to run in. Maybe they could help you?
  • eamestwin123
    eamestwin123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem when I started running harder 2 1/2 months ago. It's most likely your hip. As a woman, we tend to run "inward" with our feet instead of in alighnment with our actual hips because it's easier. (men don't typically have this problem). I suggest investing in some new running shoes that are specifically for impact prevention. If you can't go buy new shoes, get some sports inserts for the soles of your current running shoes that will help with shock absorbtion. ( you can get them at any drug store/target/sporting goods store). Also remember to always stretch after a run. My fave stretch for this hip problem is to lay on your back with your knees bent like you're going to do crunches, take your right foot and cross it over your left knee (making a 4 figure with your legs) then with your hands pull your left thigh towards your torso, then switch legs and do again.
    Epsom salt baths are great for achey muscles too.
    To be honest I just had to run through the pain, take two advil a night-and it got better. Your body will become stronger and the pain will eventually go away!
    On a side note, the Nike Zoom Vomero + 6 series running shoes for Women is AWESOME for support and shock.

Good luck!
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Great, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a friend in med school so I will consult with him later to see if he could root out some of the problems for me before I actually go to see a doctor, because it takes a long time to get in for my doctor and it takes two weeks.. nevermind the xray lab even, I got a mirena iud inserted and they have to check with an ultrasound and I booked a week ago and its still not for another week.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a friend in med school so I will consult with him later to see if he could root out some of the problems for me before I actually go to see a doctor, because it takes a long time to get in for my doctor and it takes two weeks.. nevermind the xray lab even, I got a mirena iud inserted and they have to check with an ultrasound and I booked a week ago and its still not for another week.

Andrea,
    I have to say that long of a wait for an acute problem is unacceptable. I had severe L leg and hip pain and I got into an ortho sports med MD within 2 days ... got my MRI within 2 days as well. I am an NP and I would expect that if you need something acutely it should get taken care of in a timely fashion.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options

Andrea,
    I have to say that long of a wait for an acute problem is unacceptable. I had severe L leg and hip pain and I got into an ortho sports med MD within 2 days ... got my MRI within 2 days as well. I am an NP and I would expect that if you need something acutely it should get taken care of in a timely fashion.

I live in Canada which makes it even worse. My mom took me to a clinic in emerg once because I had a throat infection, there was literally NO ONE there except us and we ended up waiting 1.5 hours for a doctor to show..
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tight hip flexor? this is common in runners, and is diffucult to stretch. Look here and try this...

http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/leg-stretch/hip-flexor-stretch.asp
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Without knowing exactly the area you are describing, it's tough to say, and since I'm not a doctor, I certainly can't diagnose. That said, when I run or do serious plyometric work, I find that I get REALLY painful upper thighs (on the outside near my hip) and that if I use a foam roller, The Stick, or even a rolling pin on my I.T. band, it helps a TON!