Mirena effects?

Options
I'm anemic and my period is heavy... Tried the pill and I was bleeding even more, now the GYN wants to put me on Mirena... and I have questions.

First, I get HANGRY the 2 weeks before my period, and the pill made it worse (I didn't even get that 'not hungry' week I usually get after my period)... did Mirena affect your appetite? I also get horribly bloated the first 3 days of my period... is it true that it can get worse? That seriously worries me because it's already really bad (I seriously look 6 months pregnant) and painful... even walking hurts (and that's taking Advil AND tylenol every 4 hours). How does it affect cramps too? Mine are usually pretty bad as well (again... Advil and tylenol for a week). I know... it's super easy to blame my weight gain on all that, but when you're hungry, dizzy, and in pain for a week a month, it's kinda hard to stick to your diet :(

Is it true also that you will probably bleed quite a bit after it's inserted? We were planning on putting it in in 3 weeks, but I'm going in vacations 3 weeks later and definitely do not want to deal with spotting at the time.

Any help would be great. This is just completely depressing :(

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had two sequential mirenas (10 years total) and it worked well for me. I never had cramps before, had some after insertion of the first and it tapered off and returned to no issues.

I spotted lightly for a few months, but it was nothing really to deal with. After that, I had 10 years without anything. I didn't even know when my hormones were cycling.

Other than that, I had no other issues. I know everyone is different so there are many other experiences out there.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    My response to Mirena is pretty similar to funjen's, I just haven't been on it as long (due for a new one this fall/winter). My emotions and such are super stable, no period or anything, no fluctuations.

I don't know that it affected my hunger, the good thing is, it's stable (no monthly swings).
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had a ton of problems on the Mirena, the worst one was actually getting pregnant while I was on it. However, before that happened I had terrible cramping, extreme bloating and pain, plus I was starving all the time. Everyone I think reacts different to it, because I have friends that loved it.
  • kellyjellyjeanbean
    Options
    My experience has been similar to funjen and Honeybadger. I've had 2 as well for just over 10 years (time to get a new one). I couldn't even tell you when I am getting my period, except near the end when its time for replacement, I get very minor spotting. No affect or change, that I recall, on my appetite.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My periods stopped almost immediately after I got my first Mirena. Haven't had one since, and I am now on year 2 of my second Mirena. It's not guaranteed that your periods will stop, but it's fairly common.

I don't recall bleeding after I got either Mirena. I do recall some weird cramping that went on for a few weeks after I got the first one, but that cleared up.
  • Delilahloo
    Delilahloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd and last Mirena (I'm in my 50's). Have had no problems with it at all, and have loved not having to deal with having a period for the last 13 years! My period had gotten extremely, uncomfortably heavy before with a copper IUD, and this was an wonderful switch for me. Best wishes making your decision.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    By the time my new GYN offered me Mirena, my uterus was too distorted by my fibroids to make it a valid option and I had read horror story threads here (sorry, didn't save any links.)

I'm managing my heavy bleeding with tranexemic acid and he's managing birth control with vasectomy.

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/1015/p883.html

Tranexamic acid is a nonhormonal option that reduces menstrual blood loss and improves quality of life in patients with heavy menstrual bleeding.
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was also anemic with menorragia. I’m about to have my second placed in a few months. I get spotting once a month at period time, but still get other symptoms- moody and bloating. Just very little bleeding.

Good news- my iron is finally showing up in normal levels for the first time in years! And I was able to stop the supplement two years in- which anyone on an iron supplement knows the joys of that.

It hurts going in, and mine took about six months to settle down- but it’s been great other than that.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm on my second one and will change it out for a third one next year - my doc tried me on multiple versions of the pill to no joy (ohh the migranes); depo provera worked but the military went away from it and I was deploying so couldn't guarantee the patch or the ring could be kept cold - so IUD it was

first insertion hurt - they actually had me come back and gave me a drug the second time to soften up my cervix, since i haven't had kids - other than that, no issues
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It's been a good experience for me. There was some nuisance spotting for a few months after then much fewer and farther between after that, almost no period really. I can't tell that it affected my appetite and didn't cause weight gain. I've had mine for almost five years now and plan to get another when the five years are up.
    For those who have had a second one, did you do the spotting again after you got the second one in?
  • kellyjellyjeanbean
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    It's been a good experience for me. There was some nuisance spotting for a few months after then much fewer and farther between after that, almost no period really. I can't tell that it affected my appetite and didn't cause weight gain. I've had mine for almost five years now and plan to get another when the five years are up.
    For those who have had a second one, did you do the spotting again after you got the second one in?

I had very minimal spotting/cramping after both the first and 2nd insertion... max of 3-4 days.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Got my Mirena in June after having 2 week long periods and random spotting for over a year (bc pills no help). My first period afterwards lasted 2 weeks and I cramped like crazy. My ob/gyn said give it time to settle. She was right. After 6 weeks no periods, no spotting or cramping. No crazy cravings or mood swings, my initial bloating went away, and I'm losing weight again. So far so good
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love my mirena! I did bleed/spot for an entire month after insertion which sucked but I haven't had my period since then (over a year now) so I think it was worth it. The insertion itself just felt like some bad cramps but that didn't last long for me. I'm going to be extra bummed next time I have a period because my life is so nice and cramp-free without them haha. Good luck! :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I bled almost not at all right away after getting it. I do get super hungry about a week and a half out of the month. It's lessening as time goes on, but it was a bit jarri g at first because I went from being a pillar of strength when it came to weight loss to completely going off the rails with food for a few days. Once I figured out the pattern, I've been able to manage it better. My periods have all but stopped, which I totally love, especially as a distance runner I just don't have to deal with it on long runs and races.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'll also add, I get very specific cravings for pastry-like carbohydrates. Like, epic, pregnancy level cravings.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Midway through my second mirena. No periods for 7 years, slight spotting about 5 times. No cramps, no side effects.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'll also add, I get very specific cravings for pastry-like carbohydrates. Like, epic, pregnancy level cravings.

That's me during PMS currently lol.

Thanks everyone. I will wait until after my trip I think (unless for some reason my next period is late!).
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 4 years now and love it. First 3 years I only had a period every 4 month now it is getting older I get a period more often. I used to have very heavy periods but now it is just a tiny bit every 2 months.

The docter recommended it after I couldn't handle the pill (would throw up 2h after taking it. The Mirena doesn't have any effect on my appetite and doesn't make me feel sick.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That's me during PMS currently lol.

Thanks everyone. I will wait until after my trip I think (unless for some reason my next period is late!).

Just popped on here to say I would personally wait until after your trip - when I had mine inserted I had 19 solid days of the most horrific cramps. As in I was taking more than the maximum doses of ibuprofen, paracetamol AND aspirin and still waking up at 3am screaming in agony. Normal period cramps for me require maybe 2-4 iboprofen for a single day. That was coupled with migraine-like headaches that made me unable to work or drive safely. After 19 days they settled down and it was "fine" after that (I had it removed after a year due to extreme mood swings, it worsened my depression and anxiety and was generally hellish to live with).

Obviously everyone reacts differently to it but I would definitely recommend waiting until after your trip. I hope it works out for you!