Might Run First 5k

Options
There is a half Marathon and a 5 k this weekend in Mora. I have been working on Running on my own, walking and interval Jogging 5.7-6.2 miles several times a week. It still takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete 10 k. Id like to enter and see how I do in a 5k race, but I don't think I will be able to complete it in less than 30 minutes. I don't want to be the last to the finish line, should I even Try? or keep training and set a goal of trying next year. Eating clean and running has shed 40 lbs from my frame, 20 of that in the last 3 months.

Replies

• rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I ran my first 5K back in June and was worried about the same thing. I finished in 34 minutes....I wouldn't worry about being the last to finish, you'll do fine! Go for it :flowerforyou:
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    ERASE "MIGHT"

replace with "AM GOING TO"

Don't worry about your time..just get yourself to the finish line! You won't regret the feeling of this accomplishment.

Good Luck, keep us posted!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! With all the running that you are currently doing, you will have NO trouble doing a 5K. And with all of the adrenaline and energy that comes with participating in a race, I can almost guarantee that you will surprise yourself with your finish time.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do it! You will have a base time to improve on.
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ERASE "MIGHT"

replace with "AM GOING TO"

Don't worry about your time..just get yourself to the finish line! You won't regret the feeling of this accomplishment.

Good Luck, keep us posted!

^^^ - This!!!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! doing an organized 5K is a lot of fun and you will see people faster and slower than you, so don't worry about that. You may even surprise youself with a new personal best. The crowd and energy often bring out a burst of adrenaline. Good luck!:drinker:
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE! You will be so glad you did!!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! You will more than likely not be the last, and really, for your first 5K you should be more concerned with just finishing. Then you'll have a baseline speed to beat. Go, have a fun time, get your tshirt, and wear it with pride! Races can get pretty addicting, you might just love it!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i'm running my first 5 k Oct 1st. i don't care if i am the last person to cross the line, a year an half ago i was smoking nearly two packs a day and weighed 216lbs. that I am still here to cross the finish line at all is worth celebrating. do it. and give it all you got.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Do it. You won't be last and you will be amazed by the variety of people who show up. All shapes and sizes. Then next year when you do it again you'll be loving getting a better time! (Hint, if you start in the back all the others will race really fast and then start crashing, it's a huge boost to keep picking them off one by one! don't go out too fast and have fun!)
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! I just started the C25K program and will be doing my first 5K in October. I may finish dead last, but at least I will have tried.

If I can do it, so can you!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You won't be last! I did my first one in 38:02 and I wasn't even close to last! I was even right in the middle of my age group!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    go for it! timing doesnt matter in your first race! just enjoy it!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    You can do it!!! I will put a stamp on it.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Dude! You so need to do it! Don't worry about time, you will be far from last. A lot of participants just walk the whole 5k. Running a 5k is so exciting and entertaining. Its so much different than running the street or at the park. Its fun to run with the other runners and have people cheering you on. You so need to do this!!! I bet you will be surprised at how well you can do on race day, the atmosphere really helps!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you everybody for all the confidence.
    I Will run.
    I am going to jog/walk my normal 6 miles tonight, rest tomorrow ( only because I have meetings from 8 am till 8 pm....... Then I would like to walk or do a light 3 mile jog Friday, and walk a mile before race on saterday to stretch and warm my muscles........ Thank you again for your support.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You should def do it. You won't be the last, and it is a lot of fun. Good luck
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! I just started the C25K program and will be doing my first 5K in October. I may finish dead last, but at least I will have tried.

If I can do it, so can you!!!

When you finish, you didn't try, you succeeded!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Yup!!! YOU GOTTA DO IT!!! I'm positive that you won't come in last!!! I have my first 5k run October 2nd. Today I ran 3.38 miles in 39 minutes. I'm going to work on my timing and work towards running a 10k, just because I have SOOOOO much time before my real 5k. I'd be very happy with finishing in 39 minutes if I needed.. but I guarantee you I still wouldn't be last!

DO IT!!!!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    And make sure you let us know how you did!