A Giant Rant

Options
Well... not a giant one... I would just like to file my complaint.

I am perturbed at my husband because he refuses to eat bananas the second they pass their moment of perfect freshness... The second there is a brown spot on them he will no longer touch them... Therefore, I am left every week trying to eat over ripe bananas so they don't go to waste.

He wont eat them if they are too green... and wont eat them if they are over ripe! So every week there is a 48 hour period that he will eat bananas. Plus he is the one who is always tossing them into the cart at the store.

HUMPF! Rant over...

However, I do love him so very much so I am willing to eat the bananas that have spots. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Jan, is that you?
  • meliturtlee
    Options
    I freeze my bananas once they start getting spotty :( They make for a delicious healthy frozen smoothie.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Haha, how silly. This is unfortunate because they taste the best when they are a little brown, they have more banana flavor.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I freeze my bananas once they start getting spotty :( They make for a delicious healthy frozen smoothie.

ooh! Good tip.

• routerguy666
    Options
    Hated bananas for most of my life, recently started eating them, showed my nutritionist my food log and what does she say - lay off the bananas, the glycemic index sucks and it rocks your blood sugar level.

Can't win...
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    You could try to buy a bunch of only three or so bananas?
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, i'm the same as your husband. it's a texture/sweetness/flavor thing.
    throw some over ripe ones in smoothie, he won't know the difference then- it's how i get rid of my over ripe ones as my boyfriend won't touch a banana at any point of ripeness lol
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I am the same way. If it has the slightest brown spot I WILL NOT eat it! I am this way with all fruit. If it is not at perfect ripeness I won't eat it.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Does he know that bananas are most sweet and delicious once they get a little bit of brown? yum!

I can't eat bananas anymore, I have an intolerance to them for some reason. But I too used to freeze them if I had too many left to eat, I would use them for smoothies or banana bread!
  • BeautifulMcCarty
    Options
    Im the same way!!! I buy them a little green put them in the fridge crisper and they last longer! Once I see a brown spot I make milk shakes out of them for the kids. I wont eat them.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My guy is the same. I'm not really a banana girl. I'll eat one every now and then, but they aren't a fruit that I feel the need to keep stocked all the time. Once they pass the point where he won't eat them, I've started peeling and freezing them. I'll make banana pudding soon and use up the frozen ones. Or maybe banana bread.
  • Insanit76
    Insanit76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you tried telling him, " if you put them in the cart you are responsible for eating 75% of them". LOL
  • Irishoneof11
    Options
    Actually, they are harder for your stomach to digest pre-spotted!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I won't eat them once they start to get really ripe either. I prefer them more green. One brown spot, okay... two, probably not. I will slice them up and freeze them when they hit that point or make banana bread to take into work and share. My husband won't eat them at all so it's usually just me eating them and I only buy a couple at a time.

Actually, I freeze berries as they're about to turn, too. Great for smoothies and you don't need as much ice.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You can throw them into the freezer for smoothies if you get sick of eating them straight up.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    CREEPY! My fiance is like that too, i try and pawn them off on my son but he won't eat 'em either...and I have NEVER ate them, I can't stand the texture. So I too am left with rotting bananas every damn week. This weekend is a banana bread marathon...feel free to share some recipies :happy:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Bake with them! Nothing is a better egg replacement for baking than a nice, over-ripe, mushed-up banana! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    No more banana's for him!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Over-ripe bananas are perfect for making banana bread.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them, they are sooooo yummy.
    Over ripe ones are great for banana muffins, or
    banana bread.