Cardio vs Lifting for women

Options
I have heard so many different sides when it comes to cardio vs lifting when it comes to weight loss. I do 60 minute cardio and 30-40 minute lifting. I have had a loss, but not a lot. What are your suggestions?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's like saying food vs water. But that said, your weight loss will come from what and how much you eat. Do the training (endurance and strength) to build fitness.
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Both are good for different reasons but if you wish to look sculptured and not a smaller version of your current physique I would focus on weight lifting and supplement with cardio. So switch them around. Also you don't need to b working out everyday incase that's what you do 3-4 times a week is sufficient and sustainable. Dial in your calories because it's easier to eat less then to burn off 100s of calories.
  • Spoilascanb
    Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @sijomial I have never heard it in that way.
    Thank you to all!
  • Spoilascanb
    Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @MagnumOpus1 am looking toward looking smaller yet not having a lot of flab.
  • luvtcuk
    luvtcuk Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lift before cardio if you do both in one day. If you do 60 minutes cardio, you are too tired to lift after that.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Osteoporosis should be a concern for all of us. Lifting can reduce and even reverse loss of bone density and help prevent the most common fractures. We lose about 1% of our bone mass per year after age 40.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do both. Cardio in the morning, lifting 2-3x weekly after work. You lose weight by keeping to your calorie deficit.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Both are beneficial
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do both for fitness and health. Count calories for weight loss and allow enough calories to fuel all that exercise.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do both. I prioritize lifting becuase I really enjoy it. I lift 4x a week for about 50-65 min followed by 15 min of cardio. I dedicate 1 day to spin or 45 min straight cardio cuz I do like it too, just not as much as lifting.

Focus on your calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Osteoporosis should be a concern for all of us. Lifting can reduce and even reverse loss of bone density and help prevent the most common fractures. We lose about 1% of our bone mass per year after age 40.

Yes, my Mom has always been very active, but her Osteoporosis doctor wishes she'd started strength training decades ago.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    I have heard so many different sides when it comes to cardio vs lifting when it comes to weight loss. I do 60 minute cardio and 30-40 minute lifting. I have had a loss, but not a lot. What are your suggestions?

I have no suggestions. I mostly lifted very heavy for years, and changed my body big time, got a booty, pecs and everything. With the lifting, I look like a new person, and dropped a bunch of sizes.

But the women who did cardio only look much thinner, but not as curvy/fit/tight. I think if I only did cardio, I would look flabbier and more loose, flat butt, but a lot smaller in size than I am now.

Now I do more cardio. I still lift, but cardio is a larger bit of my workouts. I did it that way - lifting first and cardio after because in the success boards, they always lament not starting lifting earlier and waiting until they were thin to lift.

• flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have done cardio all my life but my body only changed with weight training. Some days I train in a way to keep my heart rate up similar to how it is with running or cycling. But I'm pretty new at lifting
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I train both ways. I love to run and schedule a couple of runs a week. I play netball once a week too. Then I do one pure strength session and 4 crossfit sessions a week. Mixing it up gives me the best of all worlds and I never get bored. Lifting has changed my shape, cardio keeps me lean, netball gives me girl time!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Do cardio for cardiovascular health.

Do strength training to maintain muscle mass and overall health as well.

• IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    Some people do exercise for a specific look, in addition to their health. Like, if you want to be long and lean, with bones poking out everywhere, running, Pilates and yoga are going to be better for you than heavy lifting.

If you want that round booty and muscular look, you can run and Pilates and yoga all day and not achieve that- you have to lift heavy or do bodyweight exercises. If you want intimidating lats, swimming is great for that. Lean with big shoulders - basketball, small upper body and heavily muscular lower body - soccer or cycling.

The kind of exercise you do does have a direct correlation the types of body changes you get as you lose weight, so deciding what exercise you do is a real consideration.