Gaining weight

Options
I need help!! Im am under weight and can not seem to gain any. I think im doin something wrong or my calorie intake is off . Does anyone know how many calories i should be eating a day? I keep getting different numbers from everyone so im lost. I am 86lbs and im 36/f , im 5ft 1in. I just started a gain weight diet eating what i should be eating to gain weight just dont know how many calories im actually suppose to have.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE for sedentary is around the 1200 calorie mark from calculations I did.

This means that to gain 1/5 pound a week you would need to eat around 1450 calories or to gain 1 pound a week you would need to eat around 1700 calories. On top of this you would have to eat back any calories you burned doing exercise.

More simply, just do as suggested above by putting your stats in MPF and reassessing after a month.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How many calories you should eat, is something you can calculate yourself, using MFP, or just pick any suggestion you've already gotten. Your challenge is to actually eat those calories, consistently, for real and for a long time. You are overthinking, instead of making that little effort. Change is scary, but you're not hurting yourself by eating more, it's just uncomfortable to go out of your comfort zone.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting websites are estimated. Use what MFP gave you, eat that (plus any exercise calories you burned), then monitor your progress for a few weeks. If you're gaining, great! If you're maintaining or losing, then increase your calorie intake.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I know you are trying to gain weight but I would still recommend using a food scale. If you are just eyeballing portions you could be eating less then you think you are. It usually goes the other way but it could be worth looking into.
  • jamie711357
    jamie711357 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys !!!! ❤️i started off at 1,670. Now i will go use the suggested ro see what number that gives me , and i will let you kno in a few weeks if i see any changes. Thank you soo much and yes im overthinking lol i just really want to be doin this right and ro be at a healthy weight.
  • irisjaym
    irisjaym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Jamie, Any luck with your progress?