Hiking and backpacking

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    They both are a major passion of mine! My dream is to do both the Pacific Crest and the Appalachian before I turn 55. I just have not found anyone to do them with me yet.

There are so many people on both trails you don't need to have a partner. You will meet many others who are moving at the same pace. Many will become friends. Some may become partners. You won't be alone unless you work at it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I was a hiker and backpacker for about 30 years. For years we hiked or did trail work every weekend. I thruhiked the AT and CDT twice and the PCT and GDT once each. Unfortunately, my husband can't backpack any more, so we only do short hikes these days. I became a runner so I can still spend time outdoors, but it isn't the same. I miss hiking.
  • RaevnW6
    RaevnW6 Posts: 20 Member
    Loved backpacking in the late 60s & 70s. Wore down two pair of hiking boots in the Sierras and the trails around Los Angeles. Haven't tried the latest form-fitting packs but it's obvious, I'll be wearing them on my hips like a frame pack. The way I carry it, straps are just for balance. My vote too for trash bag/plastic liners if you're going to get wet. I've spent too many storms in a plastic tube tent and shared sleeping bag with too many hypothermia victims to let it happen again. (Although, one was a partner. That was scary at first... then pleasant :wink: )

At 60+, I'm exercising around some health limits so the backcountry is... off the table UFN. Can't wait to get back out there though.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    I live in the PNW just outside Seattle and I've been hiking for just over a year now. One hike a week usually. I've turned into what is called a peakbagger. I climb mountains. :) I love it! Did 61 miles and 8 mountains in August. I used to be really slow and couldn't do the longer hikes but now 15 miles is easy even with 4-5k feet in elevation gain. It's been very motivating to see the progress (and the glorious views)!
  • barefootcassie
    barefootcassie Posts: 27 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i don't get to do as much as i would like but Wisconsin and the surrounding area has some nice trails. nothing overnight yet.
    i want to camp but only go once a year thus far

when i get more financially stable, i would like to go to the pnw more often

Hiking in the PNW is awesome but you have the Ice Age Trail in WI. I grew up hiking that every summer!
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    I love hiking but I live in a small state so I only do local hikes that take 2-3 hours.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Saffyra wrote: »
    I live in the PNW just outside Seattle and I've been hiking for just over a year now. One hike a week usually. I've turned into what is called a peakbagger. I climb mountains. :) I love it! Did 61 miles and 8 mountains in August. I used to be really slow and couldn't do the longer hikes but now 15 miles is easy even with 4-5k feet in elevation gain. It's been very motivating to see the progress (and the glorious views)!

Have you been to Little Giant Pass yet?

th?id=OIP.1leda_q6LxkKAK-eNTGrmgHaFk&pid=1.1
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member

Love the Maah Daah Hey in North Dakota! http://mdhta.com/
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    modoryyvs9i2.jpg
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I hike. Just waiting for it too cool off in Flor-i-duh. Lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    me0231 wrote: »
    I love hiking! Nothing better to recharge the batteries. I stepped it up this year and went once or twice a week to prep for the Inca trail which I did about a month ago. Spectacular! I definitely want to get into more backpacking next year

I also did the Inca trail. Thank God for porters. Lol takes your breath away, quite literally.
  • idomebecause
    idomebecause Posts: 9 Member
    I have been a hiker all my life, grew up in the mountains. Two weeks ago I completed my first back-packing trip with a 50 pound pack! We hiked into Curtis Lake, in the West central mountains of Idaho, it was only a seven mile hike, however, the terrain was quite steep. This weekend I'm headed to deadwood and dagger falls. You can take the girl out of the mountains...

I would upload a few snapshots, but this app, or maybe my phone, is having issues at the moment :)
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    This is my favorite trail, in North Cascades National Park.

29513959777_de4e4a38e6_o_d.jpg

Heather Maple Pass? Also my favorite hike!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

I also did the Inca trail. Thank God for porters. Lol takes your breath away, quite literally.

Yes, literally! Haha I loved it though

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I do 5-10 mile hikes w/1-3k ft elevation changes locally when I'm in the mood.

Use to do a lot of backpacking when I was younger. Still have all the gear and could take off on a BP trip at the drop of a dime but don't have the motivation anymore.

Same applies to motorcycling and downhill skiing which I don't do anymore either.
  • NorthCascades
    KBClimber wrote: »

Heather Maple Pass? Also my favorite hike!

Cascade Pass, not far away. Heather/Maple is incredible, too, maybe the best ridge walk in the state. It's like trying to pick a favorite among your children!
  • NorthCascades
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

One of the reasons I like hiking, especially in different parts of the country, is how different the terrain can be. I've never been to the PNW, but I've seen a lot of your pictures - that's very different than what I have here in the northeast which is also very different from what I've hiked in both California and Arizona.

Hiking in the Adirondacks -
    33709_444624388604_4846959_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a240ffb44e4c80b5eb06641983b9d7cd&oe=5C332C57

61328_444624553604_2180243_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a7c8568515e6a0833502201b821c4546&oe=5C23AA45

60333_444624503604_1091204_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c8b4a18c76c0774add1c23d6d19e59bb&oe=5C2167EE

262573_10150272947273605_7829936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=02f9c5426311cebec3ed6aeb4c5966ca&oe=5C1E16CE

There are a handful of hikes around here that go through places of extreme change. Like the west side of our mountains is cool and rainy, the east side is dry and warm, and as you go over the crest, the change can happen pretty quickly. I've always loved these "tour of everything we've got" hikes, for the same reason you just said. Or maybe a smaller version of it.

It's just incredible how much variety there is.