Group lunches at work

Options
So my work has a lunch and learn that’s catered every week. Struggling to keep my week on track with this landmine of Chinese and pizza etc etc every Thurdsday! I also really don’t want to be singled out by bringing a salad... Anyone else dealing with something similar? We also have a culture of donuts every other Monday. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a company that brought donuts every Friday. Most times, I just said no. As for the lunch, do you get to pick your order or is it buffet style? Try to go with the most calorie friendly option if you can. Maybe skip the rice for the Chinese food (or at least take a much smaller portion). Don't pick the supreme pizza, pick the one with only a topping or 2 and do not have more than 2 slices (or whatever fits your calories). Pick the thin crust if that is an option. On Thursdays, maybe plan a lighter dinner option to account for the higher calorie lunch.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i still participate in food days. i eat smaller portions and fill up on veggies and fruit when possible
    i eat less during the rest of the day. often run too.

we often get salad and pizza together, maybe you could ask.
    with chinese, try protien and broccoli

however my department orders food all the time. i don't have the calories or the budget to do that. so i say no. i get rolled eyes but i'm not yoyoing and whining about money
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yep people will single you out for a while, but then they just stop noticing. People will still casually offer me a cookie or cake to be nice/polite, but they don't push or try to guilt me into one.

We have catered lunch once a week, so on mexican week I take like a chip, on thai food I eat a noodle and one square of tofu, I skip the sandwiches and no one bats an eye anymore! In the long run, I find it is nicer to eat what I bring than weekly rearranging my food schedule around something that isn't worth the calories.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I brought in my own salad in lieu of the office provided lunch of pasta. I care a lot more about eating something that I don't have to worry about than what my coworkers might think or say. And yes I got a comment or two but then was dismissed. People don't really care what you're eating as long as you don't shove it in their face.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Other than a non-confrontational comment, I don't find my coworkers really care or are bothered by my choices in how or what I want to eat. If I want to bring a salad to a catered lunch, they're not going to judge me, and there would probably be as many positive comments as there are negative (if not more).

Some cultures/areas may be different, however, around here there's a general vibe of health and fitness (even though there's still plenty of overweight people!).
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I plan around it as I enjoy partaking. Free food....sign me up. My work has been doing donut Friday so I have a serving of cottage cheese to go with my donuts. Protein and deliciousness. Pick the less caloric options if you can and maybe make Thursday a workout day