Burger-Bacon Stuffed Bell Pepper w/ Cheese (400 cal)

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
IMG_5876.jpg
IMG_5878.jpg

I was worried because 400 calories seemed like a lot, but one pepper is seriously very filling. They also taste like something you shouldn't have, which in my book is a plus.

Burger-Bacon Stuffed Bell Pepper w/ Cheese

Serving: 1 Bell Pepper

Calories: 400 Carbs: 13 Fiber: 4 Fat: 23

Protein: 35 Sugar: 6 Sodium: 418

Ingredients (Makes 4 peppers)
4 Bell Peppers
1 lb Lean Ground Beef (93/7 or higher)
8 slices - Low Sodium Bacon (I used Oscar Myer brand)
1 1/3 cup (4 servings) Shredded Cheese (I used Walmarts Fiesta Blend)

Pre-heat oven to 375

1) Cut into top of peppers, and remove tops. Then use a spoon to scrape out inside of the peppers. (Similar to caring a pumpkin if you've done that, but not as messy)

2) Boil the peppers for 5-10 minutes. Brown ground beef & Fry bacon, set aside. Drain and let cool (cool enough to touch)

3) In a bowl, combine 1/4 lb (4oz) hamburger, 2 pieces bacon crumbled, and 14 grams/2 tbsp of cheese. Mix, then Stuff into pepper. Continue on other 3 peppers.

*If peppers are lop-sided and won't stand up, shave off a little with a knife on the bottom so they balance*

4) Bake in oven for 10 minutes,then top with remaining cheese (about 2 1/2 tbsp for each pepper). Bake until cheese is melted.

If you have any calories to spare, add a tbsp of BBQ sauce on the side to dip in.

YUM!

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds delish!
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you substituted ground turkey and crumbled turkey bacon if it would save some calories??? Sounds yummy though will def be trying!!!
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I wonder if you substituted ground turkey and crumbled turkey bacon if it would save some calories??? Sounds yummy though will def be trying!!!

I was just thinking the same thing. I may have to try this one but with ground turkey and turkey bacon.
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    And I was looking for dinner tonight ! I will try with ground Turkey - but I have some hella applewood bacon already cooked in my fridge (guests over the weekend). Will let you know how it turns out.
  • sare_sweetheart
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    Ok - I tried this with ground turkey and it was YUMMY. I used a lb of ground turkey breast (99% fat free), and I chopped up some mushrooms, onions, garlic. I only used 3 pieces of bacon (but it was REAL bacon). And I used the cheese. I had enough mix to stuff 5 peppers. Topped them with some canned, crushed tomatoes. I didnt boil the peppers, just stuffed them and baked them for as long as it takes to do the 30DS (about 30 mins) in an oven bag. Worked out to 185 cals per pepper. 10g carbs, 4g of fat, 26 g of protein, 5 sugar and 53 cholesterol. This will be an oft repeated receipe in my house. Thanks so much for the idea!!

BTW, I think i will take 1/2 a leftover pepper, chop it all up, heat it in a frying pan, then add a couple of eggs and make a kick *kitten* scramble for breakfast! I also thought about chopping it all up and wrapping it in a tortilla.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    look really good
  • siouxzq4
    siouxzq4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I got a TON of bell peppers from the neighbor's garden yesterday, so I might be trying this one soon! :)
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    omg that sounds amazing!
  • fraya1
    Options
    bump
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This sounds really, really good. :) Thanks for sharing!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Ok - I tried this with ground turkey and it was YUMMY. I used a lb of ground turkey breast (99% fat free), and I chopped up some mushrooms, onions, garlic. I only used 3 pieces of bacon (but it was REAL bacon). And I used the cheese. I had enough mix to stuff 5 peppers. Topped them with some canned, crushed tomatoes. I didnt boil the peppers, just stuffed them and baked them for as long as it takes to do the 30DS (about 30 mins) in an oven bag. Worked out to 185 cals per pepper. 10g carbs, 4g of fat, 26 g of protein, 5 sugar and 53 cholesterol. This will be an oft repeated receipe in my house. Thanks so much for the idea!!

BTW, I think i will take 1/2 a leftover pepper, chop it all up, heat it in a frying pan, then add a couple of eggs and make a kick *kitten* scramble for breakfast! I also thought about chopping it all up and wrapping it in a tortilla.

mmm that sounds like a yummy way to use the left overs!
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Bump!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds delicious! will try this tomorrow for dinne!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stuffed peppers, they are a staple in my house.

1 can diced no sodium added tomatoes not drained
    1 can no sodium added corn
    1 box prepared with above cans: red beans and rice, or black beans & rice or dirty rice, lower sodium
    mozzarella cheese, shredded
    a little evoo
    ground turkey, browned in garlic and dried or diced onions
    8 large red and green bell peppers...

fill the cleaned peppers, sprinkle with mozz, bake for 25 minutes.

Screenshot2011-09-14at72739AM.png
  • Mandakat17
    Options
    bump