Fell off the fast wagon, now need to get back on a slower wagon!

Options
"You have done it before, you can do it again."

Don't tell me that. It was different before. It is different now.

I am older.
I am heavier.
Everything hurts more.
I have more medical conditions.
My kids drive me crazier.
I have less time.

Yes, I did it before. But I gained all the weight back.... and more. It's not the same.

I failed.
I gave up.

But I am getting up, dusting myself..... but I am not getting back on that same wagon - that wagon is not for me. I need another wagon - a slower one.

The wagon that says - it's ok, lets just start over. You are only human. Lets take it real slow now. There is no competition. Let's not care about what others say. Slowly. Pole, pole - as we say in Tanzania. No rush.

I have no idea what to expect on the new slower wagon, but the journey begins.

Who's with me?

Replies

• Adele_D
    Adele_D Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    You got this!! It’s not a sprint it’s a marathon right!? 🙌🏼🙌🏼
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You've made the important first step. Now set some realistic short and long term goals and work a plan to achieve them. Most importantly, make sure those fit with your hectic schedule as a mom. Slow progress is still progress and it can be easier to stay with it that way. Of course, we're here to cheer-lead for you too.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am with you. About 16 years ago I lost 125 pounds in a little over a year, I thought losing 10 pounds a month was normal. I was eating less than 1200 calories a day, working out 6 days a week and never eating back any workout calories. I was single, living by myself so in some ways it was easy but it was not sustainable. I gained back more than half of what I had lost in the next 5 years (Grandma and Mom died after prolonged illnesses - weight loss was low on the priority list and emotional eating is VERY real). Then I sort of cruised along - I'd gain twenty and lose twenty every couple of years doing some version of the 1200 calorie game. This time (she says hopefully), this time I'm not going crazy. I'm trying to lose 1 pound a week, per MPF that puts my calorie goal at 1550. Not doing it all the time and NOT beating myself up. As long as I'm close I'm happy. I still try to exercise 5 days a week (for me exercise has become "me" time and I realized that when I'm done with a walk, or at the gym my mood is greatly improved), but I try to mix it up more now. I've added circuit training with weights, bike riding, "speed" walks, and leisurely walks with my dog. I'm really trying to make a change in lifestyle that I can maintain for the next 30 or 40 years. If I don't make those changes, I won't have 30 or 40 years, I'll have less than 20.
  • purplicious86
    purplicious86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im adding you. I understand so well.