Keto beginner

Options
Hi everyone! Hope you're all well! I've just started tracking my macros and I'm following a keto diet due to health reasons, I used to eat a very high carb high sugar diet, any tips for overcoming sugar/carb cravings? And any advice on low carb high fat snacks? Thanks in advance 😀

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

For specific advice on keto, you might try joining this MFP group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Best of luck!
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm a keto gal! :) meats, cheeses, full fat dressings, sour cream, etc. All good! Oh and butter! I love Kerrygold butter!
  • oohlala_alex
    oohlala_alex Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Fat bombs are my saving grace for when I’m having a sweet tooth, sooo simple and there’s countless recipes online. I have found the longer I’ve been on keto the less I want sugar though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Keto is supposed to take care of those sugar cravings - if it doesn't do that for you, it doesn't. Keto should also remove the need for snacks. Maybe you just need a better diet?
  • amberraff113
    amberraff113 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Only been following the meal plan for the last 2 days, and I actually haven't had any cravings for sweet just yet which has surprised me nicely! Just want to make sure I have all potential issues covered! I'm making sure to hit all my protein and fat macro's, I've always been a grazer rather than eating 3 set meals a day so it's a bit of an adjustment for me to get used to, will check out the fat balls! And I eat mostly vegetables and vegetarian protein, it's the bread and pasta and carby fruit and veg that I'm cutting out, so upping my fat a considerable amount and my protein too! Thanks for the advice 😊
  • SammieS42
    SammieS42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm following for the advice. Starting Keto again tomorrow.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you're all well! I've just started tracking my macros and I'm following a keto diet due to health reasons, I used to eat a very high carb high sugar diet, any tips for overcoming sugar/carb cravings? And any advice on low carb high fat snacks? Thanks in advance 😀

@amberraff113 the end of the cravings seems to vary from person to person. I had to get my daily carbs down to 50 grams for it to start working. After 2 months of failing to taper off carbs I finally got hacked off and cold turkey stopped eating any food containing added sugar and or any form of any grain. That was Oct 2014 at the age of 63.

Yes it was a hellish two weeks for me and the family because I was a bear. The cravings that had lead to binging started to fade in a couple weeks and have been gone for 4 years now that I have been on Keto.

I have different snacks but I try to keep one pound bags of almonds stashed in every vehicle so when I do get hungry I have a good Keto option handy.

The first year was mostly learning how to do Keto in a way that worked for me.

Thankfully my pain levels dropped about 60% in the first 30 days but did not lose or gain a pound for the first 45 days. Over the first year without thinking about losing weight I lost a much needed 50 pounds and have maintained that same weight for the past 3 years eating the same way as I did when I automatically lost the 50 pounds.

Do not rush it or compare your results with another. I have decided I gain weight when I think about losing weight. :)

Best of success. Remember I failed many times in Aug/Sep 2014 to cut my carbs to 50 grams daily hence the cold turkey route in my case.