Gastric Band discussion

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is not my intention to talk anyone out of anything. I know that you really can't influence someone out of anything when their heart is set on surgery. My cousin left her kids and husband behind. We would all rather have her back because it was not her time to go.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    starrrjo wrote: »
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I can understand why this procedure is attractive to people but, as others have said, it doesn't cure the root cause of over eating and why the weight went on. A friend of mine has had one and lost a lot of weight but then she had to have further painful ops to get rid of all the excess skin. Most of her weight was lost around her middle so now she's trying to lose it from her arms and legs as she looks completely out of proportion, she couldn't eat proper food which made her miserable and she was constantly hungry. The only good thing about it was that she was struggling to walk but now she can and is a lot more active.
    Good luck should you continue with it but please consider trying to do it slowly through a healthier lifestyle which will gradually change your habits.

Thank you.
    Believe me, I've tried a good 12 years of on off dieting. Had help from dietician,s medication, hypnotherapy and slimming world, weight watchers, personal trainer.
    I unfortunately have a horrible cocktail of hormone imbalances and thyroid issues which make my body hold on to it's fat so I think it will help me. I'm definitely not the type to substitute for drugs and alcohol.

Oh that's tough, you've had so much to contend with, I hope you can find something that will help and work for you x
  • starrrjo
    starrrjo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I can understand why this procedure is attractive to people but, as others have said, it doesn't cure the root cause of over eating and why the weight went on. A friend of mine has had one and lost a lot of weight but then she had to have further painful ops to get rid of all the excess skin. Most of her weight was lost around her middle so now she's trying to lose it from her arms and legs as she looks completely out of proportion, she couldn't eat proper food which made her miserable and she was constantly hungry. The only good thing about it was that she was struggling to walk but now she can and is a lot more active.
    Good luck should you continue with it but please consider trying to do it slowly through a healthier lifestyle which will gradually change your habits.

Thank you.
    Believe me, I've tried a good 12 years of on off dieting. Had help from dietician,s medication, hypnotherapy and slimming world, weight watchers, personal trainer.
    I unfortunately have a horrible cocktail of hormone imbalances and thyroid issues which make my body hold on to it's fat so I think it will help me. I'm definitely not the type to substitute for drugs and alcohol.

if you have a thryoid and hormone imbalance you need to see a dr if you dont already. with thyroid issues it can take awhile to be on the correct amount of meds before you lose weight,which a deficit is still needed. getting a surgery wont help with the imbalances or the thyroid issues. so you need to get those under control first and foremost. you cant let your thyroid stay out of whack or be imbalanced as over time it could mean severe health issues. with the surgery you stilll have to eat in a deficit.

Hey, yeah, the doctors in my area aren't as good as some, they pass me off and don't offer me any resolve. All I receive for my problems are regular blood tests and medication which makes me ill.
  • starrrjo
    Options

Hiya I worked for a year and a half in general surgery - but specifically working with the bariatric department. I am NOT a qualified medical professional but I processed hundreds of patients each week and over my time there saw progress of various surgeries and even the ones that went wrong. I often spoke with the team of surgeons, dietitians and psychologists and their number 1 complaint: that all patients expect the surgery to 100% fix their habits. With the gastric band it is an ASSIST tool. It makes it hard to eat fast and forces you to chew properly because it's y'know squeezing your food tube ;) But ice-cream, sugary drinks, melted chocolate... cheese. All these foods are EASY to stuff yourself with when you have the band. It is THESE patients that in my time there have struggled the most. Under the NHS you can replace the band 2 more times as they do stretch over time. But what patients don't realise.. is that their bodies will adjust. They can only have so many bands in their lifetime. So I saw patients in their 11th year on gastric band number 3 and starting to put on weight again. They had 10 years to try fix their habits... and now it's crashing back again because they never were able to work on the underlying cause. Oesophagus transplants aren't all that common.

Also the two biggest complaints about the gastric band: acid reflux and vomiting (from eating too fast usually). But it's genrally considered less invasive and easily reversible. Weight loss can be RAPID (one patient had to be admitted as he lost over a stone in a few days and was continuing the trend). But then if people continue to eat easy-to-swallow liquids etc then it wont make a huge difference. Hope that makes sense.

GASTRIC SLEEVE AND BYPASS: both totally viable. The bariatric team could never give a straight answer about which of all three procedures are better over the other. It REALLY does depend on the patient and it requires more than 1 consultation to actually decide.

My personal opinion: the band is temporary, easily reversible, not so invasive surgically.. but it's a real assist tool, not a true "fix" if you understand. Often the band was given first (I noticed) to heavier patients to assist in losing weight to make the sleeve/bypass surgery safer down the line. I would ballpark and say well over 70% of the people I met were happy with their gastric band. The other 30% hated the acid reflux, the vomiting (if they never curbed their eating speed) and then there were those that complained that the band sucked all the while they were eating a mcflurry... Then there were patients who were non-stop vomiting... vomiting is usually enough incentive to chew properly and not eat fast right? Well I hope it's incentive for you.

The band is to help DEVELOP NEW BETTER LIFESTYLE HABITS. DO ***NOT*** RELY ON IT TO LAST FOREVER! And TREAT YOUR BAND WELL! The better you chew and the slower you eat the more shelf-life it's gonna have. It's also less likely to stretch your oesophagus in record time. You might lose weight and be in UTTER shock. You might think that you're gonna be full of energy at the start your body is going to HATE you. Several patients also found their depression got WORSE with weight loss because they no longer had the comfort of eating when stressed (hence the psychologists). So pay special attention to your mental state as well.

Anyway. I'm no doctor but I learned some. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery!

Thank you so much, this information is exactly what I was looking for.
    I'm not under any illusion that the band is a miracle and I will all of a sudden, through no effort, start dropping the weight. I am the kind of person that sees a body like a machine (however mine isn't running as smoothly as I would like) so I know that if I decide to be greedy or fill my face and tummy with calorific foods then I am without a doubt going to keep the weight.
    I'm not a greedy person, but I feel my portion sizes aren't quite what they should be for someone who is 5ft tall. I kind of keep up with my 6ft2 partner which has unfortunately taken me a long time to realise.

I have a friend who had the bypass in March which is what has made me decide that it is not for me. Her recovery time was long, painful and complicated. She said, looking back, she would have preferred to have the band. I only have around 5 stone to lose and I am prepared for it to be a hard process. It was a long decision for me to make, I have been considering it for many years.
  • starrrjo
    Options
    I am no expert I am just going by my own experience.

I had a gastric band in 2011. I went private and paid for the procedure after a long battle with what I now see was in my head and pressure from my then husband. I was not at the recommended bmi to have it so was advised to put weight on. So after scoffing my face I was accepted, I had the procedure and had high hopes. After having fills I got to 7.5ml in a 10ml band and couldn't eat a thing without vomiting and being in pain, trial and error I thought and had some fluid taken out. This went on for approx 2 years and I couldn't cope anymore my work life was suffering because I was weak from not eating and having to run off to vomit, my home life was suffering because I was tired and unhappy. I decided to have it completely emptied. That was it I had my life back, i was happy and happily lived with it being there without it having any impact on my life, I forgot all about it.
    Fast forward to 3 years ago, so 3 years after I had the band, i went through a divorce and baby and there was no issues until one morning it hit me like a ton of bricks I had that feeling, the feeling you can't mistake that you get when food is stuck. I didn't understand why. After not sleeping being unable to eat and drink for 2 days I had to go to the hospital. I was kept in for a week nil by mouth and on a drip. My baby was 4 months old and it was awful being apart from him. Test after test and nothing no answers. I went home and struggled. I fell pregnant and unfortunatly I miscarried and was told it was probably due to being malnourished. I lost hair and I mean I had big bold patches in my hair, I felt so insecure and paranoid all the time.
    The problem came back and then finally last year I was taken in to have it removed. I haven't looked back.

In all after putting on weight to have it done I lost a grand total of 2 stone/28lb. After a year of having it removed I have gained 6lb.
    If I knew then what I know now I would have given myself a good talking to and not had it.

I know of people who had it, famous and ordinary people and even though there is an initial weight loss the weight creeps on or there are problems I don't think I know or have heard of a complete success story.

Good luck in your discussion but I just wanted to share my story with you.

This is a lot of information to take in and very helpful.
    I'm sure all cases are completely different depending on circumstances, body type etc and your story has definitely opened my eyes to the risks. I've spent particular time in researching the known risks as this is what has been worrying my partner. I know about the hair loss which can apparently be aided with the contraceptive pill and multi vitamins. I already have an issue with this due to my PCOS so I am used to treating this issue.

The vomiting is a known side effect also which is apparently caused when eating too quickly or when the band is on too tight. The package I have decided on for my band includes 2 years of aftercare to do all if any adjustments required.

I'm fully prepared for the outcome of if this isn't suitable for me and have looked into what my options could be both of which you have mentioned.

I can't have children due to my weight and other problems so if I were to lose 2 stone...that would absolutely change my life...It would take me down to the lowest weight I have been in my adult life so although the bad points are bad...do they really outweigh the good?

I'm not naive like some of the responders' might think, I haven't just done fad diets and not tried my best, as explained my cocktail of problems doesn't help me so its not my last option, but it is definitely a positive option in my eyes.

Thank you x
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am no expert I am just going by my own experience.

I had a gastric band in 2011. I went private and paid for the procedure after a long battle with what I now see was in my head and pressure from my then husband. I was not at the recommended bmi to have it so was advised to put weight on. So after scoffing my face I was accepted, I had the procedure and had high hopes. After having fills I got to 7.5ml in a 10ml band and couldn't eat a thing without vomiting and being in pain, trial and error I thought and had some fluid taken out. This went on for approx 2 years and I couldn't cope anymore my work life was suffering because I was weak from not eating and having to run off to vomit, my home life was suffering because I was tired and unhappy. I decided to have it completely emptied. That was it I had my life back, i was happy and happily lived with it being there without it having any impact on my life, I forgot all about it.
    Fast forward to 3 years ago, so 3 years after I had the band, i went through a divorce and baby and there was no issues until one morning it hit me like a ton of bricks I had that feeling, the feeling you can't mistake that you get when food is stuck. I didn't understand why. After not sleeping being unable to eat and drink for 2 days I had to go to the hospital. I was kept in for a week nil by mouth and on a drip. My baby was 4 months old and it was awful being apart from him. Test after test and nothing no answers. I went home and struggled. I fell pregnant and unfortunatly I miscarried and was told it was probably due to being malnourished. I lost hair and I mean I had big bold patches in my hair, I felt so insecure and paranoid all the time.
    The problem came back and then finally last year I was taken in to have it removed. I haven't looked back.

In all after putting on weight to have it done I lost a grand total of 2 stone/28lb. After a year of having it removed I have gained 6lb.
    If I knew then what I know now I would have given myself a good talking to and not had it.

I know of people who had it, famous and ordinary people and even though there is an initial weight loss the weight creeps on or there are problems I don't think I know or have heard of a complete success story.

Good luck in your discussion but I just wanted to share my story with you.

This is a lot of information to take in and very helpful.
    I'm sure all cases are completely different depending on circumstances, body type etc and your story has definitely opened my eyes to the risks. I've spent particular time in researching the known risks as this is what has been worrying my partner. I know about the hair loss which can apparently be aided with the contraceptive pill and multi vitamins. I already have an issue with this due to my PCOS so I am used to treating this issue.

The vomiting is a known side effect also which is apparently caused when eating too quickly or when the band is on too tight. The package I have decided on for my band includes 2 years of aftercare to do all if any adjustments required.

I'm fully prepared for the outcome of if this isn't suitable for me and have looked into what my options could be both of which you have mentioned.

I can't have children due to my weight and other problems so if I were to lose 2 stone...that would absolutely change my life...It would take me down to the lowest weight I have been in my adult life so although the bad points are bad...do they really outweigh the good?

I'm not naive like some of the responders' might think, I haven't just done fad diets and not tried my best, as explained my cocktail of problems doesn't help me so its not my last option, but it is definitely a positive option in my eyes.

Thank you x

ok so you have pcos and other health issues. have you tried a keto diet? while its not a end all it does help those who have pcos and those who have insulin issues(insulin issues sometimes come hand in hand with pcos but not always) many have said it balances out their hormones as well. not sure if that showed on their tests or not. now the thyroid issue you will have to find the right endo who will be proactive in helping you(my daughter had to go through a few til she found one that was willing to help).not treating your thyroid issue can have severe consequences and cant believe those drs dismiss you(they are idiots).
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Folks - The Gastric Band - that's the subject here. I can claim success from having one, although in a round about way.

I had the band put in back in the day - about 12 years ago. I weighed 367 at my top weight and the docs made me drop some weight before surgery - so thru liquid diet and low carb, I was 331 on the day of surgery.

I never had any of the possible complications - and despite the relative safety of the procedure in comparison to the other surgical options - there are some. A lot of people around that time had to have the bands removed, because their bodies grew around them, or would not tolerate them, or they could just never follow the required instructions for living with the band... Thankfully, they have continued to improve them and there are fewer complications with the new ones.

Anyway, I never had any issues. I only had one instance where I didn't chew my food enough and had it come rocketing back out like a cork from a champagne bottle. Once was enough, thank you.

As for effectiveness - I believe I got down to 265 before my world crashed around my ears and I basically stopped living right. The mortgage crash put me out of work - and the job I got to replace it was the worst I have ever had - so basically, I was working 14 hours a day - like 6 days a week - and I just stopped exercising, stopped watching what I was eating and went into survival mode.

So... at this point, with any other diet option you have ever been on - you would expect me to say I gained it all back right? But, that's the beauty of the gastric band. You CAN'T go back to eating like you did before. My eating problem was always eating huge quantities very fast - I inhaled food, prior to the band. However even when I went into "eating whatever I wanted" I only gained about ten pounds... and then I STAYED at about 275 for the next ten years. I simply could not eat like I had before. Even though I didn't reach a healthy weight (back then) I still considered myself a success - having kept 90 pounds off for a decade.

When I did finally get back into a stable place - after finally finding a decent job, after my husband adjusted/recovered from his strokes, a foot infection and a broken ankle requiring surgery (yeah, been a rough twelve years) I found MFP and had no trouble getting back into the swing of things. Today, I weigh in the general vicinity of 175 and I am fairly certain that I will manage to get a few more pounds to go away, for good.

Things to know -

1) It's not a magic bullet. You CAN still eat in such a way as to gain weight... If you live on chocolate shakes and snicker bars - or you just eat constantly - you will still gain. Calories In/Calories Out are still the ruling factor - but, the band makes it EASIER to stop eating when you have had enough.

2) You still have to exercise. CICO again - and the whole "skinny fat" thing. Yeah, you CAN lose weight by diet alone - but your body won't thank you for it. I recommend a blend of cardio and strength training.

3) DO NOT fill too tightly. The band can't do it for you - you have to use a little self restraint. It's only a tool. If you are filled too tight - you are going to run the risk of more and worse complications. All the band should really do is slow you down - not STOP you from eating.

Personally, I have loved the band... After over a decade of having it, the way of eating - smaller portions, chewing your food, eating slowly, have just become habit - so I almost forget that I have it - except for shark week - when my entire body swells, and the band gets tight. Which is a blessing - since it keeps me from eating everything that isn't nailed down in a hormonal rush.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • Moxiemama5678
    Moxiemama5678 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to think about having weight loss surgery until I sat in the ER next to a girl in her 20’s who said she had so many stomach infections/issues and complications with her surgery that she had to go to the ER pretty much on a weekly basis.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Pepperpony wrote: »
    I used to think about having weight loss surgery until I sat in the ER next to a girl in her 20’s who said she had so many stomach infections/issues and complications with her surgery that she had to go to the ER pretty much on a weekly basis.

my friends daughter had weight loss surgery(not sure what she had done). she ended up in the hospital for 3 months in a coma because somewhere somehow her stomach started leaking (she ended up with a hole inside) and it was casuing sepsis. anyway it was touch and go,they repaired it a few times. finally they repaired it. she died this past december she was only a little over a year out from her surgery. she had gotten another infection and they couldnt get to it in time.so complications can happen. my hubbys friend has the bypass and hes doing pretty good almost a year later but it was tough going for him eating so little in the beginning. he still has to lose another 50-100 lbs before he can even get the skin removed.
  • roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve in 2013 and it was the greatest thing I've ever done. My husband also had it done also. I went from 235 (I'm 5'6") to 148 in about 8 months. I gained about 12 lbs the year following but was pretty happy with the way I felt at 160. I got pregnant in 2016 and a week after delivery weighed 170... so not too bad of a gain. Unfortunately I packed on 15 lbs AFTER my kiddo was born. This year I finally got back on the wagon and have lost 20 lbs. I now am back to 164. My goal is to lose about 20 lbs more. The great thing for me was that the surgery had virtually no side effects. No dumping syndrome, no problems with food getting stuck, no leaking etc. The surgery itself was relatively painless (after the first day) and I was back to work 3 days later with no problems. 5 1/2 yrs later I can eat essentially a normal amount of food. Sometimes i still feel a little restriction, but not much. I do feel the surgery helped remove some of my hunger drive.

My husband also had zero complications. He went from 340 to 200 (5'10") Honestly, he hasn't made many lifestyle changes, and 5 1/2 yrs later he weighs 250. Although the 50 lbs gain isn't great, he's still 90 lbs less than he was, with very little effort. He actually feels more restriction now than i do, and quite frankly I can out eat him if I feel so inclined. I think the surgeon made his stomach tighter than mine. (Wish he would have done that for me too)

I did a lot of research and felt the sleeve was a better option than the band. Although the sleeve does alter your body, it's not really changing how the body functions.
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share that gastric surgery is just another tool in the weight-loss tool box. It's not that only nor is it something to consider a failure if the person who gets the surgery gains weight. It's one of many tools I use, along with weighing, measuring and logging my daily food, and having a network of friends who also strive to eat healthy and deal with the reasons they use food for more than fuel.

Today I lost my 80th pound! I gained weight through the years but pretty much stayed near my weight loss until I had a lot of dental work that stopped me from being able to eat on either side of my mouth. For 6 months I ate grits and cheese (mac and cheese was too hard to eat, seriously). I didn't have to chew this food at all but it really put the weight on. No one can eat that for months and stay the same weight. When my dental work ended I returned to MFP and a daily commitment to lose weight. Today I am feeling great and I want to keep going! The surgery works on the plumbing only - the issues with food are in my head and my emotions. By dealing with that I'm able to maintain commitment to eating healthy and using food for fuel.
  • JenSchimanski
    JenSchimanski Posts: 77 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Good luck with your journey, I wish you every success.
  • SamJoStarrr
    SamJoStarrr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey, I wish you every success.

Thank you, I wish the same to you :) xx
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you received so much abuse, I hope you reported it all it's appalling!
    I'm glad it's working out for you, best wishes.
  • kellyjellyjeanbean
    Options
    Duodenal Switch (DS) is also an option, but perhaps too invasive for what you are looking for. Statistically, far better success rates in keeping weight off long term (harder to abuse this tool vs. others like the band) but that comes with higher risk post op without strict vitamin compliance and monitoring, but also, a lot less restrictive from a lifestyle perspective and quantity of food in one sitting (no 2oz. meals). I've kept 100+ lbs off successfully for almost 9 years. I am, by far, a non perfect patient and I fall off the wagon which results in me struggling with the same 20 lbs of bounce back weight. Getting back on track with my intake and exercise helps me lose that weight - the tool continues to assist me when I need it to. Others are correct, it does not fix your behaviors and that is the hardest part of all. That being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat, regretting only that I didn't do it sooner.

Overall, and this is only my perspective (you should research extra thoroughly and review the medical studies for proof), through the years I have come to know many people, both in real life and through the internet/facebook, who have had these surgeries. I know far more people who have remained successful with the Sleeve, DS and less so, gastric bypass. I know very few who continued to be successful with the band.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision!