Not losing weight - help!!

Options
I’m two months in. I’ve only lost 1 lb. I had lost 4 very quickly right away and then I somehow gained it back and it won’t come off again. I recommitted myself two weeks ago and saw a small loss, which made me excited for my weigh in today, especially since I’ve amped up my workouts this week. I gained a pound since last week!! I don’t know what to do. I feel like giving up and that no matter what I do I can’t lose weight. I have my loss set to 1.5 lbs a week and if I go over it’s only by a few hundred calories once in a while. Not even once a week. I don’t know what else to do.

My husband tells me to go low carb but I feel weird cutting out a food group. I’m sick of being big, I just want this to work and it’s not.

Replies

• t1mc
    t1mc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim, if you're doing hard exercise like weights etc. then you'll lose inches rather than weight.
    Maybe take photos along the way so you can see how you're doing 😀
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    This!
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    You are either eating more than you think or are burning less than you estimate.
    Do you weigh everything you eat?
    Can you open your Diary to be viewed by us so we can see what you are eating?

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The biggest component of weight loss is diet. That is the place to start. Make sure all your calories are on point. It is very important to use a food scale and not estimate anything and to make sure you log everything that crosses your lips.

The number of times per day you eat and the amount of water you drink do not really matter. After you get your logging and calories on point, it helps to focus your diet 80-90% on whole foods, lean meats, veggies, good starches and fruits. Then working on good lifestyle habits like sleep, stress reduction, and exercise help as well.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    agree with the above. how carefully are you logging the food? using a scale? logging everything including non "pure water" liquids?

Heck, I am still finding logging errors after 4mts. I was significantly under logging my meats (first salmon, most recently chicken) using inccorrect entries but more importantly, not properly weighing raw and eating more (because, i can't BELIEVE how small one portion of chicken is!! )
  • stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food with a food scale every time, eat healthier food, watch watch your cooking with (i.e tons of butter or mayonnaise) many of those calories will add up. Up your cardio. Up your weight loss goal to 2lbs per week. Follow your calorie recommendations. Probably should only weigh 2x per month. Be very, very, consistent.

This should help. Try it for 1 month and see.
  • frankc468
    frankc468 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m glad I came across your question because I’m having similar trials. I get really frustrated because I believe that I’ve made improvements but seeing no results. The replies here are helpful. Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes time to lose weight, a lot longer than any of us realise... tighten your logging, use a food scale - when you eat consistently at calorie deficit over time you will lose weight. It can take weeks to see some results so have patience.

All the best.
    Ruth
  • KimStapes
    KimStapes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For reference, I currently weight 184, I’m 5’4”. I want to lose 40-45 lbs. my calories per day are set to 1,380 to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I do weigh everything on my food scale and measure things with measuring cups. I do think what gets me is sugar. I do go over my sugar goal so maybe that’s what I need to hone in on right now.

My workouts consist of lifting and cardio, like biking, spinning and group classes.

Maybe I just need to really focus on my sugar and not get frustrated that it’s not happening faster.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Sugar? Nope!! I go over my sugars every single day and nope!! Salt perhaps? TOM perhaps? How often are you weighing yourself and is it at the same time?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    KimStapes wrote: »
    For reference, I currently weight 184, I’m 5’4”. I want to lose 40-45 lbs. my calories per day are set to 1,380 to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I do weigh everything on my food scale and measure things with measuring cups. I do think what gets me is sugar. I do go over my sugar goal so maybe that’s what I need to hone in on right now.

My workouts consist of lifting and cardio, like biking, spinning and group classes.

Maybe I just need to really focus on my sugar and not get frustrated that it’s not happening faster.

Sugar is not important unless you mean you are overeating calories because of sugar.

Weight loss is related to calorie deficit period.

You can however, retain water from exercise. (water, not fat). Give it a few weeks and use a weight trending app like Happy Scale. Remember, your weight will fluctuate by several pounds a day, just related to exercise, salt intake, etc. If you use a weight trending app you will see what your trend line is..
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    KimStapes wrote: »

Sugar is not the problem unless it causes you to go over your calories. You need to learn patience. If you are not losing you are hovering around maintenance (or maybe there's a medical problem that needs to be addressed).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    You are either eating more than you think or are burning less than you estimate.
    Do you weigh everything you eat?
    Can you open your Diary to be viewed by us so we can see what you are eating?

^^THIS^^
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You said you amped up your exercise thia week and strength training is one of your exercises. My money is on water retention. Sounds like you are only weighing yourself weekly, which won't allow you to see those fluctuations.

If you can handle the ups and downs on the scale, I recommend daily weight and use a trending app HappyScale (apple), Libra (android), or Trendweight (syncs with Fitbit). They will smooth the ups and downs and give you a trendline, but it really takes a couple weeks of data to start getting a good picture. If you don't want to weigh daily, then you need to realize that there will be fluctuations, and if you catch yourself on one of the higher days it will look like you aren't making progress.

I would also encourage you to review your logging. Are you weighing all solids, even prepackaged singles? If you are eating out often, there will be some uncertainty there. Sugar is only relevant if you are consuming so much tgat it prevents you from getting the needed nutrition. Sodium and TOM are the other two water retention culprits.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You said you amped up your exercise thia week and strength training is one of your exercises. My money is on water retention. Sounds like you are only weighing yourself weekly, which won't allow you to see those fluctuations.

If you can handle the ups and downs on the scale, I recommend daily weight and use a trending app HappyScale (apple), Libra (android), or Trendweight (syncs with Fitbit). They will smooth the ups and downs and give you a trendline, but it really takes a couple weeks of data to start getting a good picture. If you don't want to weigh daily, then you need to realize that there will be fluctuations, and if you catch yourself on one of the higher days it will look like you aren't making progress.

I would also encourage you to review your logging. Are you weighing all solids, even prepackaged singles? If you are eating out often, there will be some uncertainty there. Sugar is only relevant if you are consuming so much tgat it prevents you from getting the needed nutrition. Sodium and TOM are the other two water retention culprits.

Alcohol is also a water retention culprit.