Gastric Band discussion

Options
13»

Replies

• pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have on occasion toyed with the idea of WLS and in the end I put it on the back burner. My hesitation tells me I'm not ready to make the commitment so I will continue to do my best right here. I wish great success to anyone who's courageous enough to take the WLS path.
  • SamJoStarrr
    SamJoStarrr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Duodenal Switch (DS) is also an option, but perhaps too invasive for what you are looking for. Statistically, far better success rates in keeping weight off long term (harder to abuse this tool vs. others like the band) but that comes with higher risk post op without strict vitamin compliance and monitoring, but also, a lot less restrictive from a lifestyle perspective and quantity of food in one sitting (no 2oz. meals). I've kept 100+ lbs off successfully for almost 9 years. I am, by far, a non perfect patient and I fall off the wagon which results in me struggling with the same 20 lbs of bounce back weight. Getting back on track with my intake and exercise helps me lose that weight - the tool continues to assist me when I need it to. Others are correct, it does not fix your behaviors and that is the hardest part of all. That being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat, regretting only that I didn't do it sooner.

Overall, and this is only my perspective (you should research extra thoroughly and review the medical studies for proof), through the years I have come to know many people, both in real life and through the internet/facebook, who have had these surgeries. I know far more people who have remained successful with the Sleeve, DS and less so, gastric bypass. I know very few who continued to be successful with the band.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision!

Thank you, however I have already had the Gastric band fitted. And it is a working success at the moment :) Im very pleased.
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    I have on occasion toyed with the idea of WLS and in the end I put it on the back burner. My hesitation tells me I'm not ready to make the commitment so I will continue to do my best right here. I wish great success to anyone who's courageous enough to take the WLS path.

I was the same. it was something that crossed my mind daily for around 5 years.
    I never thought I would be in the position to justify it and thought 'Oh Ill just give it one last try on my own' and it never worked out. Obviously life gets in the way often which hinders your decision but it was the best thing I ever did.
    No regrets so far and my health has improved massively.
    I have already dropped 14% of my excess weight which is enormous for me.

I just advise, do your research, then do more research, and when you think you've done enough, do some more.
    Meet consultants, listen to them, ask them hundreds of questions, seek out people who have had similar experiences, seek out people at similar start weights and when you think you're ready, your body will do the rest.

The liver reduction diet is usually predominantly milk which is a natural hunger suppressant and really gives you a head start and as long as your head is in it, you won't regret it.

People are really quick to tell their horror stories, but they are a tiny percentage. The success stories out number them by hundreds of thousands.
  • kellyjellyjeanbean
    Options
    New Post: I didn't realize this was an update so I apologize for all my additional commentary in the prior post.

That's terrible that the reaction you got was so negative! Everyone's journey is unique. Success can take many different paths and what works for one person isn't always going to work for another. The prejudice and stereotypes on being overweight, even from people who suffer from it themselves, is strongly embedded into our society. Sad, really.
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a gastric band. It was placed about 5 years ago. I wasn't ready for it. I lost probably 30 or 40 pounds and then put on about 70 pounds. I learned how to "eat around" the band. If it works for you, then great! It just didn't work for me. My dad also had a band placed. (His was placed prior to mine). He lost a bunch of weight, but he's gained most of it back. Speaking from experience, eating around the band gets really easy. There's also the risk of a bacterial infection or your stomach prolapsing. I've been very lucky so far. I'm actually planning to have the band removed.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I haven't had a fill in years - but - try to wolf down the food like you used to do and find out just how much restriction you really have... lol. The only time I am really tight is during TOM.

Glad you have no complications - and I hope you can keep up the great work!

Alas, it IS still work - as it is possible to eat around the band quite easily... (see above post) chocolate still goes down smooth... but, if you choose your foods wisely, the band will help you now and keep helping you for years to come.

Enjoy your new life.

Hugs!

@SimplementeSM - Unless you had the band removed, when you ARE ready it will still help you. I had about a ten year gap between losing the first 100 lbs and losing the most recent 100. Good Luck.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My Aunt died of malnutrition. She had the bi-pass. It was less then 2 yrs after her surgery.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

Only 7% of WLS patients maintain their weight loss after 5 years and 5% of dieters that can maintain a major weight loss after 5 years.

That's interesting. It never crossed my mind to have anything done as I was only 30kg. over my healthy BMI range and I knew I could do it by eating healthier and being more active. But today I was watching an American episode of the Bigger Looser and it shocked me to find out that one of the biggest contestant has one of this procedures done. Despite his stomach extremely small, he kept eating and eating, and the doctors were explaining it to him how dangerous his situation it was.

• alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    my mom got a gastric band. she lost about 60 pounds before she had some kind of esophageal complication and had to have it removed. she probably lost 60 pounds because she basically threw up everything that wasn't a cake-like texture. she also couldn't eat meat. she'd chew it up and spit it out. it was disgusting. she has regained most of the weight since the removal. i wouldn't recommend it personally.
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    Its pretty easy for people to put the gastric band, gastric sleeve, and the gastric bypass all under the same category, it is important for people to understand, that these procedures are all COMPLETELY different.
    If someone says they have had weight loss surgery, this can either mean, they've had either one of the procedures but doesn't mean they've had what you think.

Gastric bypass and Sleeves are massive procedures.
    Gastric band takes 15 minutes, recovery is short, success is slower and risks are fewer. Having a bypass or sleeve never crossed my mind, purely because I didn't want a quick fix, I wanted help!
    I wanted the help that my health provider was failing to give me and I wanted to get healthier before my body starts retaliating in the form of heart disease and diabetes.

I knew my problem, it was my hunger, and portion control. I have a lifestyle which doesn't allow me prep time and tonnes of exercise so without going for a completely invasive procedure, the band ticked all my boxes.