How did you quit soda?

Options

Replies

• iRyanS
    iRyanS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda quite abruptly, or "cold turkey". At the time I was miserable due to the fact that I couldn't bare to stand for extended periods of time without feeling pain. Quitting soda was the first straw, before I even got involved in a better diet or exercise.

Been 10 months since that last sip of soda. No cravings or anything. Its allowed me to drop 110 lbs. Thankful for that.
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soda daily but stopped cold turkey when I decided to lose weight. I really like sweet drinks so I substituted it for green and black tea- sometimes I would have it with a spoonful of honey :D I can't even drink soda now since the carbonation gives me bloating and it just gives me a stomach ache.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Imaging my teeth rotting and all those dental bills - they will fund a trip to Europe! If you're stressed, do something HEALTHFUL, or productive: exercise, clean something... I was addicted, and I switched to sweetened tea, measuring the sugar, and then cut down SLOWLY over the course of 3 weeks to no sugar. Your teeth will thank you!

If you practice good dental hygiene, the sugar does far less damage than the acid does.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    fizzy water - la Croix
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    SabrinaJ89 wrote: »
    Sorry I havent responded to anyone, crazy week so far!

For the most part I feel like quitting soda altogether would drastically reduce my calories in. Some days at work i drink 3 20oz sodas (mt dew is my downfall.) I quit drinking soda while pregnant because of the caffeine.

Now I feel like I have myself tricked into thinking soda helps with energy or making me feel better. I've tried drinking diet and its just gross to me, I did good for a little while with flavored water but keep coming back to soda

Well, caffeine and sugar can indeed make you feel better, so you're probably not imagining that :)

I think artificial sweetener is gross too.

If you switch to something uncaffeinated, get a different source of caffeine for a while or brace yourself for the misery of caffeine withdrawal.

I only put a 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) of sugar into a 12 oz cup of tea. 12 oz of Mt Dew has 46 grams of sugar and 170 calories.

My mom takes straight caffeine pills.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey when I realised it was affecting my teeth and dental bill
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater and when I'm stressed at work or home soda is like my go to stress reliever. I've quit drinking soda in the past when I was pregnant but I had a different reason to then. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to kick the habit?

How are you going?
  • GetFitFix
    GetFitFix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My go to soda was Mountain Dew, but I quit cold turkey. Now I just drink black coffee and water. I probably drink to much coffee now that I think about it.
  • millerdan1
    millerdan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I switched to carbonated water and have the occasional soda when I’m eating out somewhere.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Coke zero and cherry coke zero for life.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Now I feel like I have myself tricked into thinking soda helps with energy or making me feel better. I've tried drinking diet and its just gross to me, I did good for a little while with flavored water but keep coming back to soda

Maybe try different ones. I used to drink diet Coke before switching to Coke Zero. Now I don't know how I drank diet Coke, it's not good. If you can find one that's not gross to you, you'll get used to it and then come to prefer it.
  • smptd7
    smptd7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I switched to soda water! Turns out I craved the fizziness more than the actual taste!
  • mkmaske
    mkmaske Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the la criox waters, give a few flavors a try until you like one. It took me a while to find some that I liked. My favorite is the Aldi brand. Also, sometimes I mix it with lemonade or a splash of juice.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It took a long time and started before I joined MFP. I no longer enjoyed the sugary sweet taste. It was odd because I grew up with Pepsi Coke made with real sugar, when they reintroduced "made with sugar"t I thought it tasted better but I didn't want it. It still needs a glass bottle but that is a different story. Eventually I realized I wanted the fizzy not the sugar. For a while I was drinking unsweetened flavored seltzer water. Eventually I grew tired of that.

My advice to give up soda is to try unsweetened seltzer, maybe you are craving the fizzy.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Water with lemon. Rarely drink soda now.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater and when I'm stressed at work or home soda is like my go to stress reliever. I've quit drinking soda in the past when I was pregnant but I had a different reason to then. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to kick the habit?

This may be a bit blunt, but here goes: You put on your big girl pants, decide what's important to you and do that. So if there is no other way to relieve stress, you're stuck with the 500-800 calories per day of sugar water. If losing weight is that important to you, you'll have to figure out a different strategy to relieve stress.

I must wonder, though, if you have simply created a habit as opposed to a stress reliever.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't remember ever liking soda, especially dark soda.
    My mom says I used to drink it all the time but got a lot of UTIs when I was really little and that the extra water they made me drink to try to help this problem apparently turned me off of sodas. I assume this plan worked (or I just outgrew the problem) as I don't remember the frequent UTIs.
    I guess that "strategy" worked since water is what I want to drink 99% of the time, but I wouldn't recommend the multiple UTI route as viable strategy for forcing yourself to quit sodas😃
    Short of medical conditions quitting sodas isn't necessary, but I've heard water grows on you if you drink it all the time, and I feel like chocolate is a great substitute if it's the caffeine you're after 😉
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options

I think you just have to get rid of it and not keep it in the house if you can. I have a similar problem with sweets. If you can't not keep it around have your family member hide it. My mom hides her treats from me and it really helps. Putting it out of sight helps too or in an inconvenient location.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I substituted my liter of Mountain Dew with apple cider vinegar.
    I have no teeth now, but I've rebooted my metabolism.