Vegetarian diet

Hi all, I'm a vegetarian and want to lose around 25kg. Right now I'm 92 kg. I have been on n off of many diets and also workouts. I want to try keto but find it very difficult just to eat butter n cheese for fat and to completely replace rice. Please help.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe stop going on and off diets? To lose weight, you just have to eat a little less.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Combining keto and vegetarian is more difficult. Is there a reason you are doing keto? Are you vegetarian for moral reasons? If you have chosen either for weight loss, please know that neither is necessary for weight loss, and in general it's best to find a way of eating that is easy for you so that you can focus on hitting your calorie goal.

If you chose vegetarian and/or keto for other reasons, perhaps adding that to the thread will help to target the suggestions you get. I could never do keto as I thrive on a moderate carb diet, but there are plenty here who are vegetarian, and plenty who do keto, and a few who do both I'm sure. Best of luck!
  • Fitintothatdress
    Fitintothatdress Posts: 12 Member
    I was doing Atkins diet last year same time. Had lost 8 kilos. But I got afraid after following it for four months that high protein would affect kidney so went back to regular eating. I don't eat junk foods.. fried.. or soda. For a week now I'm just trying to be under 1400 cal. But after reading so many keto success stories n it's health benefits.. I want to try it too. Oneore concern is I worry about my acnes.. will eating fat worsen acne?
  • ilovefoodalldamnday
    ilovefoodalldamnday Posts: 69 Member
    edited September 2018
    Keto is a medical therapeutic diet prescribed by your Dr. There is no reason to go on it unless it's been prescribed for medical reasons.
  • Fitintothatdress
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Combining keto and vegetarian is more difficult. Is there a reason you are doing keto? Are you vegetarian for moral reasons? If you have chosen either for weight loss, please know that neither is necessary for weight loss, and in general it's best to find a way of eating that is easy for you so that you can focus on hitting your calorie goal.

If you chose vegetarian and/or keto for other reasons, perhaps adding that to the thread will help to target the suggestions you get. I could never do keto as I thrive on a moderate carb diet, but there are plenty here who are vegetarian, and plenty who do keto, and a few who do both I'm sure. Best of luck!

Thank you. I'm vegetarian by moral reasons and also by religion. My daily food consumption comprises of dal, rice, curd, rotis and vegetables and greens but cooked not raw.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

Thank you. I'm vegetarian by moral reasons and also by religion. My daily food consumption comprises of dal, rice, curd, rotis and vegetables and greens but cooked not raw.

You don't need to go raw to lose weight. You don't need to go keto to lose weight. You just need to consume fewer calories than your body is using, so it will tap stored energy (fat) to make up the difference.
  • Fitintothatdress

You don't need to go raw to lose weight. You don't need to go keto to lose weight. You just need to consume fewer calories than your body is using, so it will tap stored energy (fat) to make up the difference.

Is 1400 cal diet enough? Do I have to do exercise regourously? I m a software engineer n sit in front of my laptop all the time. I do different aerobics exercise daily one hour. With aerobics alone I did not see much results only 4 kilos in an year. Now I have decided to control calories as well. I had almost lost hope until I installed this app n started reading about everyone's story. Now I got ray of hope.
  • Fitintothatdress
    Keto is a medical therapeutic diet prescribed by your Dr. There is no reason to go on it unless it's been prescribed for medical reasons.

No doc has not prescribed it for me. Since my parents are diabetic I always get worried about me following their footsteps. I avoid all sugars, I don't eat sweets. My mom's sister passed away last year as her kidneys failed bcos of diabetes. Before that she used to get dialysis done for almost two years. Even my mom's brother same case :( . So I'm really freaked out.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes, though.
  • Keto is a medical therapeutic diet prescribed by your Dr. There is no reason to go on it unless it's been prescribed for medical reasons.

No doc has not prescribed it for me. Since my parents are diabetic I always get worried about me following their footsteps. I avoid all sugars, I don't eat sweets. My mom's sister passed away last year as her kidneys failed bcos of diabetes. Before that she used to get dialysis done for almost two years. Even my mom's brother same case :( . So I'm really freaked out.

I'm go to you Dr and get a referral for an RD. They can point you in the right direction if you're concerned. You can also get genetic testing to see if you're at higher rick for certain diseases.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    I agree with having a conversation with a doctor about any potential health issues if you have concerns.

but to loose weight (assuming to health issue) does NOT require removal of any foods or fancy diet. Calories in Calories out are the only thing that matter.

Keep the butter, cheese, and rice but weight and log it and ensure it fits in your daily total. You are more likely to be successful long term if you eat a normal diet you are happy to keep doing for your entire life.

i eat chocolate at least twice a day. I make it fit.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    i am vegetarian too and that has turned me off from trying a keto diet even though i've heard great things about it reversing diabetes. i developed diabetes after eating nothing but watermelon and cola gummies for like two weeks straight (my mom has it too so i was predisposed) so i would recommend watching your sugar intake or at least keeping it balanced. but anyway to get to the point i want to make. i don't think you need to completely forgo stuff like rice but i'd watch your portion sizes. like just have one recommended serving size portion at a time instead of like a full bowl. for most starchy foods, a portion size is about 1/3 cup. not very much.
  • Fitintothatdress
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I agree with having a conversation with a doctor about any potential health issues if you have concerns.

but to loose weight (assuming to health issue) does NOT require removal of any foods or fancy diet. Calories in Calories out are the only thing that matter.

Keep the butter, cheese, and rice but weight and log it and ensure it fits in your daily total. You are more likely to be successful long term if you eat a normal diet you are happy to keep doing for your entire life.

Thank u so much. That's a relief. I will track my calories and see it if this works for me. I thank all of you for your inputs. And will keep you posted. Hope this will be a new beginning.
  • Fitintothatdress
    i am vegetarian too and that has turned me off from trying a keto diet even though i've heard great things about it reversing diabetes. i developed diabetes after eating nothing but watermelon and cola gummies for like two weeks straight (my mom has it too so i was predisposed) so i would recommend watching your sugar intake or at least keeping it balanced. but anyway to get to the point i want to make. i don't think you need to completely forgo stuff like rice but i'd watch your portion sizes. like just have one recommended serving size portion at a time instead of like a full bowl. for most starchy foods, a portion size is about 1/3 cup. not very much.

Ok. And how about fruits? They have sugars too. So you avoid them as well?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,659 Member

Thank u so much. That's a relief. I will track my calories and see it if this works for me. I thank all of you for your inputs. And will keep you posted. Hope this will be a new beginning.

I am vegetarian (have been since birth) and have lost 30kg over the last year and a half just by careful calorie control. CICO (calories in calories out) really DOES work but you have to be accurate and honest. Weigh everything, you will be shocked at the huge amounts of calories in some things you have generally been eating a lot of without really thinking about it.
    It isn't easy, and it isn't pretty. At times to start with I was so hungry I hated the entire world, but after experimenting I learned to pad out with veggies. I also discovered that if I gave in to cravings for junk that was high in carbs it made me feel better for a while but an hour or two later I was really hungry again. You need to find what is right for you, some people feel more satisfied with more fat (still within reason and within their calorie allowance) others protein, others carbs.
    As above, I eat chocolate when I want to, but I log it in advance and make it fit. The same goes for pizza, I cannot and will not live without pizza so once a week or so I make it fit. One trick I found helped me a lot (and that I still use) is to work out what I'll eat all day and log it all in the morning. That way I can tell myself if it isn't on the 'menu' I can't have it. Unless of course I make the effort to get extra exercise and 'earn' myself the calories to cover it.
    Anyway, in a nutshell it's a case of trial and error and finding out what works for you, but you really don't need to follow any specific 'diet', just make sure you are using more calories than you are consuming. The fine tuning will come later, as you learn more about what works for you :-)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Sugar does not, in and of itself, cause diabetes.

To figure out your calories, fill out your profile here correctly, choose a goal of losing one lb per week, and get your calorie goal.

In general, the best ways to prevent diabetes is to reach and maintain a healthy weight, stay active, and eat a well-balanced diet. If you feel you have a genetic predisposition, talk to your doctor and if they aren't helpful, ask for a referral to an RD. Random strangers on the internet do not know enough about your current health and the specifics of your family history, and the worst thing you can do is spin your wheels on wild goose chases.

For the time being, the best thing you can do is lose weight, and that requires a calorie deficit. The other stuff is up to you.
  • Fitintothatdress

I am vegetarian (have been since birth) and have lost 30kg over the last year and a half just by careful calorie control. CICO (calories in calories out) really DOES work but you have to be accurate and honest. Weigh everything, you will be shocked at the huge amounts of calories in some things you have generally been eating a lot of without really thinking about it.
    It isn't easy, and it isn't pretty. At times to start with I was so hungry I hated the entire world, but after experimenting I learned to pad out with veggies. I also discovered that if I gave in to cravings for junk that was high in carbs it made me feel better for a while but an hour or two later I was really hungry again. You need to find what is right for you, some people feel more satisfied with more fat (still within reason and within their calorie allowance) others protein, others carbs.
    As above, I eat chocolate when I want to, but I log it in advance and make it fit. The same goes for pizza, I cannot and will not live without pizza so once a week or so I make it fit. One trick I found helped me a lot (and that I still use) is to work out what I'll eat all day and log it all in the morning. That way I can tell myself if it isn't on the 'menu' I can't have it. Unless of course I make the effort to get extra exercise and 'earn' myself the calories to cover it.
    Anyway, in a nutshell it's a case of trial and error and finding out what works for you, but you really don't need to follow any specific 'diet', just make sure you are using more calories than you are consuming. The fine tuning will come later, as you learn more about what works for you :-)

Thank you. I can relate to being vegetarian from birth. I will stick to cico for now 😊
  • Fitintothatdress

To figure out your calories, fill out your profile here correctly, choose a goal of losing one lb per week, and get your calorie goal.

In general, the best ways to prevent diabetes is to reach and maintain a healthy weight, stay active, and eat a well-balanced diet. If you feel you have a genetic predisposition, talk to your doctor and if they aren't helpful, ask for a referral to an RD. Random strangers on the internet do not know enough about your current health and the specifics of your family history, and the worst thing you can do is spin your wheels on wild goose chases.

For the time being, the best thing you can do is lose weight, and that requires a calorie deficit. The other stuff is up to you.

Thank you. Yes I'm trying to chase everyone on YouTube. Everyday I watch atleast 4 to 5 videos on weight loss
  • Fitintothatdress

Thank you. Yes I'm trying to chase everyone on YouTube. Everyday I watch atleast 4 to 5 videos on weight loss

I understand it's so stupid.:(
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

Ok. And how about fruits? They have sugars too. So you avoid them as well?

Despite the n of 1 of aliceghsial, sugar does not cause diabetes. You don't need to avoid fruit.

Are the members of your family that have diabetes overweight? (I'm assuming it's Type II. If it's Type I, please clarify.)

Is 1400 cal diet enough? Do I have to do exercise regourously? I m a software engineer n sit in front of my laptop all the time. I do different aerobics exercise daily one hour. With aerobics alone I did not see much results only 4 kilos in an year. Now I have decided to control calories as well. I had almost lost hope until I installed this app n started reading about everyone's story. Now I got ray of hope.

Where did you get 1400 cals from? At your weight, you can probably eat a little more and still lose weight, but I would use whatever number MFP gives you to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs a week.

Best of luck.