Setting limits to binges

Options
I had an idea for controlling binges, but I had a question. Feel free to leave any other feedback you have.

-what is the most deficit that you can have in a day, and still be healthy? like if I have to eat 2500 calories a day to maintain, what is the most calories a day I can take off that and still be healthy? 1000?

My idea was to have 1 or 2 days a week where I am allowed to binge, maybe between 1000 and 5000 calories in one sitting. I'm wondering how/if this would be possible while losing weight. The goal would be to start off with my current binge level and over time tweak it so that it is no more than 400 calories in one sitting, either because I'm eating a modified version of the binge, or the amount I'm eating is much smaller. I don't know how much I would eat in a current binge, I need to calculate it.

Other ideas:
  1. -Never binge alone
  2. -Set a start and finish time
  3. -Weigh food and record in MFP before I start eating
  4. -Drink lots of water inbetween
  5. -Space it out with healthy food (like if I wanted onion dip with potato chips, have a quarter as much of the dip and the chips, and also have a portion of salsa and a bunch of different veges for dipping)
  6. -Do it in the middle of the day, instead of at the end
  7. -Limit how much food I buy
  8. -Try to mostly eat what's in the house and set a price limit for how much I spend, such as $10 instead of like $30
  9. -Learn how to cook
  10. -Try alternate recipes inbetween having my favourite, to see if I am happy with a healthier/lower calorie substitution
  11. -Only buy one or two portions instead of cooking at home (1 or 2 brownies brought at the store, instead of a whole pan of brownies made at home)
  12. -Only do baking etc if I can share the bulk of it at a party, club or event
  13. -Go for a walk and meditate first
  14. -Write down how I feel before, during and after
  15. -Eat slowly
  16. -Stop eating when I stop enjoying the taste of the food

Common binges I have (feel free to leave suggestions for alternate food ideas that won't make me cringe or laugh, suggestions should be similar to what I eat in taste/texture, but less calories/healthier)
  • -microwave brownie, uncooked
  • -uncooked cookie dough
  • -1 pizza, (Margherita, BBQ Hawaiian or something fancy) stuffed crust with garlic bread or chips on the side, a bottle of coke no sugar/pepsi max
  • -salt and vinegar chips and onion dip, some kind of candy, chocolate, soda
  • -a big bag of caramel popcorn or coloured popcorn (actually hate eating this because I don't enjoy the texture once it starts to get caught in my throat, and I hate getting sticky hands)
  • -hunger busters from McDonalds- caramel sundae with m&ms, big mac, cheese burger, large fries, large coke no sugar
  • -combo from burger king- either a whopper or hawaaian chicken burger with chips and a diet soda (they are large burgers)
  • -flake supershake from wendys
  • -medium butter popcorn and diet soda and a big bag of m&ms (only when I go to the movies, but I've noticed that when I get food at the movies, I get too distracted by the desire to eat and don't pay close attention to the movies. Tried eating the same food at home and didn't find it appealing)
  • -KFC- 2 piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces of chicken, chicken salt chips, potato & gravy, a bun, a diet soda. Or the 3 piece (?) which is an extra piece of chicken and the stuff listed before + a moro bar
  • -These crispy noodle things that are like 1000 calories for a whole packet. I find it hard to stop after eating half a pack. You are supposed to add them to stirfrys or salad, but I don't have much self control. Probably supposed to split them into like 10 serves.
  • -2 minute noodles. Often have 2 packets, plus the seasonings, mixed veges and extra soy sauce if I don't like the flavour in the packet
  • -These noodle things my indonesian friend does- ramen + seasoning + 2-3 wedges of laughing cow

Thanks everyone :-)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    By the way, have you read this discussion? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10694827/the-psychology-of-needing-to-eat-until-stuffed-a-discussion/ It keeps a very friendly tone, lots of interesting views have come up, and I think it can be relevant for you too, why don't you join in?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with severe binge eating as well, and found that having a transitional phase where I was essentially having a controlled binge (I would eat what I wanted, but had to cook my foods rather than getting premade foods) really helped. Once I felt back under control, I then transitioned back into logging and eating at the correct calorie limit. I spent a month or two doing that, and experimented with finding alternatives that sometimes I found to be tastier than the heavier option (such as jelly instead of syrup on pancakes). It seems like you're working on a similar thing, so I think that's good. I've been in therapy for about five years working on this issues along with the underlying issues that have caused me to binge eat (decreasing in frequency, I have an appointment once a month now that's kind of a check-in, whereas before I was going once a week).

The only advice I would offer is to be easy on yourself if not all of the things you're planning pan out. Treat this as an experimental time, with your checklist as guidelines rather than rules and find what works for you and allows you to eat well. I would binge as punishment, and I wouldn't want that to happen to you as well.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Ok

So there is SO much to touch on, thoughts I had

1. Stop referring to them as binges - call it a cheat meal, treats, high cal meal whatever you want but try not to associate as ‘binge’ because that comes with all sorts of negative connotations. Yes you have a ED, but also you are allowed to eat whatever food you like - it’s about eating in reasonable quantities and learning to nourish your body a try and take away the negative words if you can <3
    2. Lots of sensible ideas (meditate and walk before, find which emotions you associate with it, blocking *kitten* family members etc etc - all good thoughts)
    -microwave brownie, uncooked (not sure what this product is but some low calorie brownie https://bromabakery.com/2013/04/37-calorie-brownies-and-no-im-not.html)

-uncooked cookie dough https://theskinnyfork.com/blog/edible-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough (or similar)

-1 pizza, (Margherita, BBQ Hawaiian or something fancy) stuffed crust with garlic bread or chips on the side, a bottle of coke no sugar/pepsi max. You can get protein based and cauliflower based pizza - I haven’t tried them sorry - or make your own fancy pizza on a wrap - there is something cathartic about cooking and you can use lots of fresh ingredients. Or, eat half a pizza - or even one slice less each time you eat (throw it away immediately so you don’t feel like you’re leaving any if that makes sense?), cook a mini garlic bread/half a one or throw away a little bit

-salt and vinegar chips and onion dip, some kind of candy, chocolate, soda - go for rich dark choc (you’ll hopefully eat less), small bowl of chips with dip (put them in a small bowl and put the bag away - you can always go back and have a second bowl but make a conscious serving size instead of eating the whole bag

-a big bag of caramel popcorn or coloured popcorn (actually hate eating this because I don't enjoy the texture once it starts to get caught in my throat, and I hate getting sticky hands) - make your own ? Might be able to reduce the calories

-hunger busters from McDonalds- caramel sundae with m&ms, big mac, cheese burger, large fries, large coke no sugar ... these ones are hard - there is nothing quite like maccas is there - maybe try throwing away 1/4 of the food, or just budget for it

-combo from burger king- either a whopper or hawaaian chicken burger with chips and a diet soda (they are large burgers) -

-flake supershake from wendys - maybe just a shake and a mini flake on top? Of a smaller size

-medium butter popcorn and diet soda and a big bag of m&ms (only when I go to the movies, but I've noticed that when I get food at the movies, I get too distracted by the desire to eat and don't pay close attention to the movies. Tried eating the same food at home and didn't find it appealing)
    - just budget for these type of trips to the movies - these obviously won’t be every day or presumably even every week

-KFC- 2 piece quarter pack which is 2 pieces of chicken, chicken salt chips, potato & gravy, a bun, a diet soda. Or the 3 piece (?) which is an extra piece of chicken and the stuff listed before + a moro bar - I can’t help with this as I don’t eat kfc due to allergies

-These crispy noodle things that are like 1000 calories for a whole packet. I find it hard to stop after eating half a pack. You are supposed to add them to stirfrys or salad, but I don't have much self control. Probably supposed to split them into like 10 serves. - is it the crunch you like? Surely there are crisps or something equally crunchy and satisfying you can find that are lower cal?

-2 minute noodles. Often have 2 packets, plus the seasonings, mixed veges and extra soy sauce if I don't like the flavour in the packet - how about rice noodles? - or a noodle soup - maybe invest in a decent pad Thai or something and enjoy a nice meal instead of just the two minute noodles?

Anyway - I hope you enjoy your treats - and maybe try and budget one small one a day and then a treat meal at the weekend - that way you’re not talking yourself into the mentality of feeling like you’re going to have nothing left

Good luck :-)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Fix the binge behavior if you want to successfully lose/maintain weight.

Best of luck.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    One of my kids works at Dunkin. They were open yesterday - we are in the area where Florence was at tropical storm level and a lot of places were closed - but didn't get a lot of business. He came home with boxes of donuts and a bag full of muffins. Check out yesterday's lunch:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2018-09-14
    and if you back up a day, I had some home baked brownie trouble the day before. I am very tempted to starve myself today, but I think I am better off with a normal breakfast (still had half a donut; weaning myself off :blush: ) and so far just a banana for a snack. I will have some baked chicken and salad for lunch. My goal is set to a deficit even though I am in maintenance, so I will wipe out the last couple of days within a couple of weeks and hopefully go a little lower before something like this happens again.
    Here is what I think I have figured out about myself - letting something like that happen every week isn't sustainable because making up for it in under a week isn't sustainable. I actually got away with a few periods of that during the summer (which isn't quite over) by paddling SUP long distances every few days. Monday I went surfing and took enough of a beating not to paddle most of the week and then the weather turned nasty and I probably won't paddle until Tuesday. Uh oh - no big eraser this week. That's going to happen a lot of weeks in the winter; I am just not a gym rat and have knee trouble that ended my running.

There is a point to this rambling dialog; I don't plan to eat ~2000 calories of sweets per day 2 days in a row but I am going to react to it with discipline to right the ship, not plan for doing it again. That would be a very slippery slope. It happens unplanned; do you think allowing planned ones will stop the unplanned ones?