body scan results

Options
Hi, I had my first body scan today. Does anyone know how I interpret this to the micronaughts? Fitness pal says to lose weight I must consume 1200cal/day yet my body scan at resting rate is 1320cal/day which means I am not eating enough. Any tips?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Your body scan results will not be far off what you could have estimated with an online calculator based on your sex, height, weight and age. MFP tells you how much to eat based on your sex, height, weight, age, activity level before exercise, and what rate of loss you pick. If you pick a too aggressive weightloss rate, you get a too aggressive calorie target.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is majorly affected by the rate of loss you select but MFP won't go below 1200 for females.

BMR (which I assume you mean by "resting" is just the start point for calculating your daily calorie needs.

My tip would be to read the sticky threads pinned to the top of the various forums as they contain loads of useful information. Then have a serious think about how you intend to lose weight and subsequently maintain once you hit goal. Then revisit your goals set up to make it align with your plan.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would start at the body scan cal amount and see how you do. Reduce if you need to as you go along but 1320 may be fine if you are not a slug :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now? How much are you trying to lose? What weight loss rate (pounds or kg per week) did you tell MFP you wanted to lose?

Normally, you can eat above your RMR but below your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) + exercise, and lose at a sensibly moderate rate. 1200 is the fewest calories MFP will assign a woman, under the assumption that it will be well-nigh impossible to get adequate nutrition below that.

If your RMR is 1320, and your MFP goal is 1200, I'm thinking you may not have much to lose (so should lose it very slowly) or have selected a weight-loss rate that's too agressive for the amount you have to lose.

But that's a guess, which is why I asked the questions in paragraph 1.

(ast weight loss isn't the goal. Successful weight loss is the goal, right? ;) .

• jrbhorse
    jrbhorse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than your base then it will go to your fat for the balance of energy (calories) you need. Then you lose weight.