Wtf.

Options
I'm a little frustrated with how things are going and my overall mentality of this whole weight loss thing.

149.5 lbs. That's what I weighed in 5th grade. I know this because we had to do a math problem where we averaged everyone from our math class's weight. Everyone was around 80 lbs, and I nearly doubled them in weight.

178 lbs. - Grade 8. I remember thinking during PE when we got weighed for those state tests you had to do for physical fitness, that I wasn't the heaviest girl between 7th and 8th graders - by one pound.

308 lbs. - Where I am now.

What the hell happened? I know that I eat my emotions. Started therapy recently, and that's helped. I've also been going to the gym a few times a week and busting it on the elliptical machine for 35 minutes. Last week, I was down to 304.8, and as of this morning, back up to 308. Wtf? Gained 4 lbs back just randomly and weigh in is in two days.

I try not to stress about this stuff, you know? It's all about lifestyle changes and being happy and blah blah blah, but I feel discouraged. I'm allotting myself 1640 cals a day, which I feel is decent. I don't know if part of it is that I want to see immediate results. Maybe I'm just overall having a blah day. Standing on the scale this morning just to see where I was at for the week was a little discouraging. Maybe I should eat more fruits/veggies. More salads. Maybe I'm making it more difficult than it really is. =P

Replies

• ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If I start working out and dieting at the same time, I usually gain for the first little bit. I'm not sure if it's true about "gaining muscle" but sounds good to me. I usually start "dieting" first, to see where I'm at.. because the first weight I lose it about 10lbs of excess water weight, so to really see where I'm at I start working out more when my weight levels off. I hate fluctuating, but it happens.

It's not quick though, some weeks I gain, maintain, and some I drop a lot of weight. Just depends... good luck.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't know if part of it is that I want to see immediate results.

I think this is it.

And you just have to know that it's not going to be immediate. You may not even 'see' results for a long, long time. But you'll be able to feel them, and that's what you need to go by.
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Options
    True dat. Last week, I kicked *kitten* at the gym. Owned it. And I slept better, helped my sharpness mentally, felt more limber, just overall felt great. I just gotta keep going!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    If I start working out and dieting at the same time, I usually gain for the first little bit. I'm not sure if it's true about "gaining muscle" but sounds good to me.

Unfortunately, the human body doesn't gain muscle that quickly. Weight gain after incorporating a new workout routine is caused by water retention. You're body holds onto fluid to repair your muscles. Hang in there. It could take your body a few weeks to adjust. It could also just be water retention from TOM and/ or from too much sodium in your diet.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    True dat. Last week, I kicked *kitten* at the gym. Owned it. And I slept better, helped my sharpness mentally, felt more limber, just overall felt great. I just gotta keep going!

THIS!!! It will keep getting better and better then eventually it won't be about the weigh loss but about how you look and feel, the fat loss is just a big bonus!! Keep doing what you're doing, it will all catch up, take it one day at a time. I have lost 80 lbs and have 40 to go, I still get frustrated at times but I know my time will come :) Good Luck!!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, and you WILL see results. Be sure to log everything that goes into your mouth. Have you considered measuring different body parts to see if they're getting smaller? Sometimes I don't lose weight, but I've lost inches. Good luck, and keep at it!!!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Make sure you track your sodium and drink plenty of water. I have noticed that when I'm not properly hydrated, I don't lose as much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I know when I started p90x, they said people can take 30-60 days before they really start to see the weightloss. Your body has to adjust to the water retention and works to increase your metabolism. You didn't put the weight on in a few weeks, so don't expect it to come off in a few weeks.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    For it to be lasting it is going to take time. Stick with it!!

I look at it like, I can either sit here and get bigger every day or I can get up and move and get smaller every day (even if it is just a little bit)

Keep at it, Rome wasn't built in a day. :flowerforyou:
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I start working out and dieting at the same time, I usually gain for the first little bit. I'm not sure if it's true about "gaining muscle" but sounds good to me.

Unfortunately, the human body doesn't gain muscle that quickly. Weight gain after incorporating a new workout routine is caused by water retention. You're body holds onto fluid to repair your muscles. Hang in there. It could take your body a few weeks to adjust. It could also just be water retention from TOM and/ or from too much sodium in your diet.

pretty much what I was going to say. I ate out earlier this week. food had tons of sodium in it. As a result went from 298 to 304 and 2 days later I'm back down to 299. all I did was increase my water and continue excercising
  • WhyWait
    WhyWait Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi Grrl

How you doing today? Are you seeing results?

It's not just about reducing calories, it's really learning how to eat better. Making smart choices.
    Some examples
    1. Drink lots of water throughout the day
    2. Eat 5 smaller meals a day
    3. Make sure to have a balanced meal, I personally like a little higher protein and lower but the healthy carbs.
    4. Fill up on veggies
    5. Take a mulitvitamin

Workouts should be a mix of cardio/resistance for say 30 minutes min. at least 3 days, but preferably 5 days a week.

Stick with it, I know you can do it. Ask if you need help.
    Heather
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    You need to stick with it!!! be careful of your sodium intake. I looked at only one page of you good diary and noticed a couple things that had high sodium content. This will cause you to retain fluid!! You can add sodium to your food diary tracker. may want to keep an eye on that!!!

I was 280+ pounds at my highest. It took me a year to lose about 50 pounds and that was with diet and exercise 5 days per week. Then it took another 5 YEARS to lose another 50 pounds with diet and exercise and another 2-3 years for 20 more pounds to come off with again diet and exercise. I have kept the 120 off for over 6 years but it requires constant dedication, working out 6 days per week. I am trying to lose the last 10 pounds and have gained and lost the same 5 pounds since January!!! Talk about frustrating.
    With weight loss its 80% diet, 20% exercise. Avoid fast food, frozen meals as much as possible, processed, artificial etc. You can do this! Just stick with it.

(by the way I had the same math equation in my 8th grade class converting kg to lbs and I was same as you as far as highest in my class!! )
  • mandysmear
    Options

Yes! Keep going! It sucks. It's not easy. But, it becomes more and more fun as time goes on I think. Just concentrate on being healthy by eating well and exercising. The weight will follow. :D
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am going to tell you one of my secrets. You have got to learn to like yourself no matter what weight you are. I started at 300lbs and it was hard but you have to find positive things about yourself and your life. Weight loss cannot be motivated by self hate. And you are fine at 1640, I started at 1600 just randomnly and lost a lot of weight fast which helped me to stay motivated to keep going. Work on being nice to yourself and the rest will follow.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your weight is going to fluctuate naturally as much as 5 pounds daily. The heavier you are, the greater the daily fluctuation. It can be caused by lots of factors (fluid retention, slow digestion, etc), but it's probably nothing you can control. Try weighing yourself less frequently or taking measurements instead to see if that works better for you. I personally weigh every single day, but I only record it once a week.

My advice is that if you're logging everything you eat, you're not eating enough food. Your diary is incomplete and looks like you're skipping a LOT of meals. And if you're not logging everything you eat, you need to start doing that. Get a scale and weigh everything. Be absolutely honest and record EVERYthing you eat. Log your exercise, too. That will show you how many extra exercise calories you have to eat.

If you stick with the program, change will come! Best of luck to you. :)