how many calories do YOU burn?

Options
i always go by what the gym machines say as i entre my weight and age into them and on my workout key is my height so its pretty acurate...

on a good day like today i can push myself to burn 890cal wich took me 80 min of full on cardio from walking on incline 13 and speed6km/h to the bike
now on a bad day 40min = 300calories or so.

just wondering what do you burn and how long does it take you.............and what do you go by??? eg machines, HRM, MFP??

Replies

• Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM, it is usually a little above the machine and way below mfp. In 60 minutes on the treadmill I burn around 800 calories. I strive for 50 calories every 5 minutes
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Average...300-700 calories a day from exercise! :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have 80 min to work out, I'm excited if I get 40 min. But anyhow, the machines are notoriously inaccurate (either over or under), so getting a HRM is the best bet.

edit: daily my exercise is about 400-500 calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i always go by what the gym machines say as i entre my weight and age into them and on my workout key is my height so its pretty acurate...

on a good day like today i can push myself to burn 890cal wich took me 80 min of full on cardio from walking on incline 13 and speed6km/h to the bike
    now on a bad day 40min = 300calories or so.

just wondering what do you burn and how long does it take you.............and what do you go by??? eg machines, HRM, MFP??

machine are notoriously inaccurate, even when you enter all your info, and they count your maintenance calories as part of calories burned, so if you enter that into MFP maintenance gets counted twice. Once in your daily allowance on MFP and again in the exercise calories you enter in.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I use mfp for items I don't know, the machines' estimate when it's available, and this site - http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc sometimes.

I burn between 180 and 800 5 days/week, usually about 450-500. These days, most from Racquetball, and some from elliptical.
  • amym520
    amym520 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would agree that my average is 50 cal every 5 min.

The machines are quite inaccurate, but at least give a good estimate.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM, then subtract my BMR (which is already accounted for in the calories MFP allots me).
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I use the calorie calculation that MFP provides. Don't have an HRM just yet, and my elliptical machine is WAY over what MFP calculates. Machine will say I burned about 900 calories, and MFP shows 395 for the same workout!
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i only ever eat half of them back so it doesnt really matter it just gives me a boost to see the numbers:bigsmile:
    . i will always manualy entre into MFP as for some reason MFP calories are always twice the amount the machine says.

was just interested how many people burnt :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    150-300 usually.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i go by my hrm and if i'm doing a home workout it'll take me about 2hours to burn 1200cals, if i'm not doing a home workout i'll do 45min treadmill and then a 4-5hour walk and that will burn anything up to 2000cals...usually about 1600 or so
  • khristie107
    khristie107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 400 and 550 depending on how much time I have - I agree with those that say the gym machines are NOT accurate - comparing them to my HRM, they claim I burn double what I burn in an hour according to my HRM. I would pick a a heart rate monitor if I were you...
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 400 and 550 depending on how much time I have - I agree with those that say the gym machines are NOT accurate - comparing them to my HRM, they claim I burn double what I burn in an hour according to my HRM. I would pick a a heart rate monitor if I were you...
    i cant afford one at the moment :sad: so gym machines it is atm
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    In an hour of high impact aerobics, calculating from my HRM I burn close to 400 calories. Used to be more 20 lbs ago, but the less I weigh, the fewer calories I burn, apparently.
  • urbanmyth
    urbanmyth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I burn very few calories. 30 mins of high intensity circuit training burns around 150 calls (with background deducted) according to my HRM. Lower weight definitely means less calories burned, so I have to watch my diet more than ever.
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    I burn quite a bit, but I am a nut. Saying that I keep track of my calories burned via my Polar HRM. My average calorie burn is between 1100-1500 calories 3-4 days a week. The other days I average 600-850. On days when I bike to the gym, do cardio or crossfit, that is when I burn the most.

Running 5 days a week is between 200-250, 30 day shred 5 days a week adds another 350. That is my lightest workout. Today I am at 1350, and I still have to do the shred dvd. It seems excessive, but I love it.