Pre diabetic - sugar free diet

Options
I need to know if anyone has any advice on curbing sugar cravings and if there's any food out there I can eat that taste sweet but wont raise my blood sugar. I'm pre diabetic and my doctor recommended I give up sweets, however he didn't ask me to give up carbs. Just straight up sugar.

The problem is, I definitely believe myself to be addicted to sugar. Sweet tea, iced coffees loaded with cream and sugar, donuts, and chocolate were part of my daily diet.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to 1. Curb the cravings (if anything at all. I've just rode it out over the last 2 days) and 2. Are there any foods I can eat that can trick my brain into thinking its something sweet. So far I've only found peanut butter.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Drink coffee with a dash of milk and sweetener or diet soda.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, diet tea, you can check out sugar free cookies (not low calorie though)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Please do your homework on reversing Diabetes. There are many dietary changes that can make a significant improvement.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use stevia when I want a sweeter taste but don't use too much or it ends up tasting bitter, IMO.

You might want to consider getting and using a blood glucose monitor. Testing BG before a meal, and then every 30-60 minutes afterwards will clearly show you which foods, or food combinations, are negatively affecting your BG control.

TBH, carbs are basically glucose in the blood. They aren't that different than sugar. Some carby foods have fibre which will slow your BG spike, but others will dramatically impact your BG even if they don't tsate sweet.

I agree that exercise is also a good tool for BG control, especially after eating.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are good. Peeled, sliced and pan fried in a little olive oil in skillet caramelizes a bit
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    eat fruit instead. (still has sugar, but less) like bananas, peaches, an apple with your peanut butter.. also, when you do eat something sweet, eat some protein along with it like some nuts or meat or something. this helps to keep a balance in your body.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a little bakery shop in my city that caters to diabetics. The pastries are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Diabetic or pre-diabetic however, blood sugar control takes a little more planning than just avoiding sugar. Every meal is a balancing act where a variety of foods is eaten. I found this visualization most helpful at the beginning.

http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/adm/diabetes-plate-method/what-is-the-plate-method.html

There's a very handy chart on this page that lists all the artificial sweeteners.

http://www.deardoctor.com/articles/artificial-sweeteners/page3.php

You might find it helpful to have some hard candies sweetened with Sorbitol. I've found these candies at Bulk Barn.

Starbuck's has sugar free syrups if you like fancy coffees or teas.

Cocoa powder is pure chocolate with much of the cocoa butter removed and without any sugar added. You can make your own hot cocoa and/or brownies sweetened with artificial sweetener. Splenda is pretty good in baking, or Stevia drops (use sparingly). This is my favourite brownie recipe.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/361132463852150755/
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say check out a keto diet but I can't say if if in itself would help with sugar cravings. I can say this, I loved sweet tea but started feeling like the tea was getting more and more sweet as the people who make get accustomed to it. I started mixing half sweet and half unsweetened. After awhile I thought why not just go all unsweet? I did and now it tastes normal to me. it takes time but you can re-train your taste buds.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There's a little bakery shop in my city that caters to diabetics. The pastries are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Diabetic or pre-diabetic however, blood sugar control takes a little more planning than just avoiding sugar. Every meal is a balancing act where a variety of foods is eaten. I found this visualization most helpful at the beginning.

http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/adm/diabetes-plate-method/what-is-the-plate-method.html

There's a very handy chart on this page that lists all the artificial sweeteners.

http://www.deardoctor.com/articles/artificial-sweeteners/page3.php

You might find it helpful to have some hard candies sweetened with Sorbitol. I've found these candies at Bulk Barn.

Starbuck's has sugar free syrups if you like fancy coffees or teas.

Cocoa powder is pure chocolate with much of the cocoa butter removed and without any sugar added. You can make your own hot cocoa and/or brownies sweetened with artificial sweetener. Splenda is pretty good in baking, or Stevia drops (use sparingly). This is my favourite brownie recipe.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/361132463852150755/

@jgnatca Please remind me, are you T1 or T2? I have been away for a year and am trying to familiarize myself with the regulars I see.

OP, the quoted post has great advice. She has managed her disease and weight loss for quite a while now. The only thing I would add is that, as a T2 diabetic, managing blood sugars is not only about reducing dietary sugar. Total carbs from all sources need to be reduced. Doctors who are also Certified Diabetic Educators generally recommend reducing total carbs to a max of between 150-180 grams per day for T2 and pre-diabetics, which is considered moderate carb. T1 have a different set of recommendations.

Obviously, if you eat and drink a lot of sweet things cutting the sugar is an easy way to reduce the total carbs. Me? I love my starches. When the office bought donuts, they had to include a bagel or two for me because I just don't care for overly sweet things. I always drank diet soda because regular is just too sweet. I don't eat oranges but will peel and eat a grapefruit like an orange. Anyway, my suggestion would be to start out using artificial sweetener and diet soda and wean yourself down. Buy sweets in single servings only when you really want a candy bar or cookie. Don't have sweets in your house except fruit. There is no physical addiction to sugars, but there is a psychological desire to eat things that give you pleasure. You need to reduce the amounts that you eat and you will develop less of a desire.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I tell you, the number one deterrent to eating sweet things is testing my blood two hours later. I began to associate foods like icing and milkshakes to the crappy high sugar loginess. I don’t like that feeling so high sugar treats do not have the same appeal.

For me it is the nighttime cramps I get if I have a really high carb day. They are in the legs but not your normal charleyhorse that you can stretch out without even getting out of bed, these are in the upper inner thighs and have me bent over the bed weeping in agony.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes, and to be honest, the only thing that's curbed my sugar cravings is eating less sugar. The less I eat, the less I want. The more I eat, the more I want. I've always had diet pop and I now also have no added sugar cordials, fruit punches and iced teas. I use sweeteners and lactose free milk in my coffee at home and only have plain coffee with semi skimmed milk and sweetener if I'm at a coffee shop/restaurant. I'll rarely have a more lavish coffee with syrup and whipped cream, but when I do, I have it in place of a dessert.

I switched to sugar free sweets, there are more varieties now that taste better. Ricola do a good range. I even found sugar free Chupa Chups. There are sugar free syrups for coffee, and look for sugar free or reduced sugar chocolate. I find protein bars and shakes good substitutes for chocolate bars and actual milkshakes. Very rarely I'll have a doughnut, but I've pretty much cut out pies and pastries. Fruit bread and malt loaf can be good substitutes.

I also don't keep sugary or trigger foods in the house. I just binged on chocolate biscuits that I bought for the workmen who are doing my bathroom. So now they'll have to go without. I can't have biscuits anywhere near me so I won't buy them. Do your best to avoid foods that trigger cravings or bingeing, but don't restrict everything. You can find low/no sugar alternatives and have the occasional sugar treat once you're confident you can handle them without overeating them.

I've phased out sugar gradually over 6-12 months. I tried to give it all up in one go and it didn't work, I'd just crave what I told myself I couldn't have and end up bingeing on it anyway. Now I give myself the choice to eat what I want, and what I want is healthier food. I have a small amount of sugary food once a week, usually a scoop or two of ice cream, and that usually satisfies me. My binges are smaller in quantity and less frequent.

Being pre-diabetic, you might want to start reducing your carbs too. If you haven't already, find a diabetes website to learn about carb portions. You don't have to drastically reduce them, just eat less than you normally do. Ask your doctor to get you an appointment with a dietitian and get you on a diabetes food course so you can learn about portion sizes and healthier eating, if that hasn't already been arranged.

A bit of added sugar every day won't kill you, but if you keep in mind that if you develop diabetes you're looking at potential blindness, amputation, strokes, heart attack, kidney function problems, liver function problems, not being able to walk barefoot on the beach, or go barefoot, period, neuropathy, being on two or three different medications, hypo/hyperglycaemic attacks (not nice at all), having menopause-like hot flushes in hot weather (even worse), having to do fingerprick BG tests up to ten times a day, ending up in hospital or dying from the flu, and dying earlier from complications, is having sugar really worth all that?

I'm not diabetic, but the bolded is true for me as well - the less sugar I eat, the less I want.
    1. More protein helps.
    2. Fruit can often satisfy my sweet tooth for far less carbs and calories than baked goods.
    3. I tapered down the sugar I add to my tea and now 1/2 t is fine for me.
    4. I add protein powder to my coffee instead of sugar (the coffee has to cool down a bit or the PP can curdle.) I add dried coconut and chia seeds as well and call it breakfast.

39bde7d522574cd40f4dd8ebae8c3ae0.png
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm Type II and honestly, like others have said, the thing that curbs my craving for sugary foods is cutting out the sugary foods. The first week is the hardest. After that, the cravings really wane.

Add some exercise to your daily routine. Even a brisk 20-minute walk can help control blood sugar for 12 hours (or longer!) afterwards. Buy a glucose meter and testing strips at WalMart. See how things that you eat and drink impact your blood sugar readings after one or two hours (whichever method you prefer--I prefer a 2 hour reading).

Lastly, things with sugar that you drink tend to raise your blood sugar faster. Sodas, sweetened tea, sugar-laden coffee drinks, and fruit juice can raise your blood sugar dramatically in as little as 15 minutes. Be very careful with those. Be aware that your blood sugar can go up from environmental factors, such as stress and illness.

There is a lot to learn about being pre-diabetic. The best thing you can do for yourself is to get some good advice. Ask to see a registered dietitian to help you with a plan. I wish I had gotten a diagnosis of pre-diabetes to avoid being Type II. I might have been able to stave this disease off. You have been given a wonderful opportunity! Embrace it!
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Personally I tried all the recommendations from the diabetes nurse, weight watchers SlimmingWorld and lchf / low carb high fat is the only one that’s sorted my sugar levels and the weights dropping off, I’m not hungry or craving carbs or sugar and I just have double cream in my coffee instead of sugar or milk .
    You can make your own breads and cakes etc out off dark chocolate, stevia coconut or almond flour, nut butters eggs cheeses if you check out Pinterest and ruleme.com , dietdoctor.com loads of great recipes.
    Also check out gluten free ranges in your supermarkets for low sugar pastries cakes breads. Seeded loaves such as burgen are very low or no sugars.
    Anything that says low-fat is likely to be very high in sugars.
    Fruit.. bananas are higher the riper they are and berries are lower in sugar.
    Mediterranean diet like antipasto and tapas are high in fat low in sugars too.
    Plus you have sugar free drinks and sweets if you’re craving 👍
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just jumping on to say that fasting might not be a good idea if your blood sugars are running high. Extended periods of time without food can lead to swings in blood sugar values. Your liver might decide to dump a whole load of glucose into your bloodstream and if you don't have enough insulin in your body to cover that you will have hyperglycemia. Sometimes that then causes a large drop in blood sugar and can lead to hypoglycemia.

I actually recommended a structured eating cycle for fueling your body.