To resize rings or not to resize rings?

Options
All my rings are too large now. I can either have them resized (for a fee of course) or I can wait to see how sustainable this weightloss really is over the long term. I'm going to have one more kid, which means that I'm going to put weight on at least one more time, but I still have my pregnancy rings for when that happens . . . thoughts?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    At $30-$60 per ring, I'm waiting. In fact, I don't wear my wedding ring set anymore, since I was afraid of losing both my anniversary band and my wedding band.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You could also buy the plastic ring sizer things...
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I would say wait and use it as an excuse to get more rings. :happy: When I donate shoes and clothes to goodwill, lol, I tell my husband I need to go shopping cause I donated all my stuff. It doesn't work for my husband but we do find it funny. And my husband doesn't really care anyway, we just like to razz each other.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    You could also buy the plastic ring sizer things...

Those things hurt my fingers.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    WHEW! Glad I bought the warranty on mine for free resizing. You could always resize a lil snug so it lasts :) LOL
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    And of course some rings just can't be resized. My engagement ring was an 8 and I can't have it resized if I wanted to.
  • Jeni322
    Jeni322 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my engagement ring on my middle finger for a year now, I'm still afraid to take the plunge and get it resized lol!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    im having this problem about my 16th birthday ring but im just gonna try and lose more weight and put it on my middle finger
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    wear them on a necklace until after your next kid and being sure you can keep it off
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who wore hers on a gold chain round her neck while she was pregnant because her fingers swelled a little. Perhaps you could do the same until you are sure what size you are going to need them to be after your next child
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    SE SINGLE FOR A WHILE.... hahaha jk
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I went to the jewelry store and bought a metal "sizer" for about $10. I need it since my hands swell in the hot summer months, and shrink when I'm cold. It's alot more comfortable than the plastic ones and not as bulky.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Resizing too often is actually not very good for the ring itself, I have heard it can weaken it. I have chosen to wait until I am at the end of my journey to resize them. Luckily I have shrunk into one I haven't worn since highschool :laugh:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Resize them. Stop wearing them when you get the pregnancy bloat and then you'll have incentive to drop the weight to fit back into your rings.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Don't make gaining weight easy on yourself - get rid of or alter EVERYTHING that's too big! One of my biggest motivators to lose weight was because I couldn't wear my wedding ring (it became highly uncomfortable). Just like you shouldn't keep around clothes that are too large because it's too easy to "grow" back into them.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    some jewelery stores have metal pieces they can put on the inside of your ring (kinda like the plastic ones) but not as bulky, they arent that much but I would wait until your done with your weight loss and having kids. cause if you keep sizing them in can weaken your ring... (I use to work in 2 different jewelry stores)
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Wait on it. My husband and I agreed that if we lose weight and keep it off we will get new rings. Of course, my engagement band and wedding ring combined cost us less than $100.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I put so much weight on through the years that my wedding ring was digging into my finger (30 years ago, I wore a size 4.5 ring!). I finally had it cut off early this year and THEN I started losing weight - LOL!! I've lost 40 pounds now and my ring would probably fit if it wasn't cut and bent. *SIGH*
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a friend's blog: ducttapeweddingring.com

He's the reason I even found MFP, and his journey is really inspirational. 175# loss in less than a year. His wedding band is wrapped in duct tape to help keep it on. I'm sure it serves as a constant reminder of just how far he's come.

I'm actually looking forward to losing a little more weight. I remember my mother had this beautiful pink ring. I envied it as a girl. I now own that ring. It fits on my little finger, but not quite on my ring finger. I can't wait to be able to wear it.
  • Ajbays10
    Ajbays10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I say resize it, Be PROUD of the accomplishments! If you dont then you will have that attitude that o i can just put the weight back on, dont let that be an option!