Burning calories lifting weights

Options
Hey guys, I am lifting weights several times a day and my goal is to get a lean cut, but I can’t figure out how many calories I am burning. Any suggestions in how to keep track with this? It will really help me!

Replies

• Hogan1956
    Hogan1956 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Its listed under cardio exercises(strength training), tell MFP how many minutes, and it will add the calories for you based on your weight.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE (I like the calculator on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ the rest of the website is crap but the calculator is pretty good) and work with that. Make custom workout and count only 1 calorie for all your workouts (though its not really needed, it just helps you with the logging your exercise part).

This way you're working with your overall fitness level and the calories burned typically. I have found working with TDEE much better than using the calories mentioned in MFP database since I have found the calories can be upto 30% off from the real burn. If you prefer accurate calories burned, there are devices for measuring your calories burned.

Hope this helps.

Stay crunchy.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    candicew70 wrote: »
    aside from the calorie burning why are you lifting several times a day? once a day for 30-60 min is sufficient enough if lifiting heavy(proper form is needed of course).

This ^^. And I wouldn't bother trying to track calories burned during weight lifting. It's inconsequential, and it's not the reason one lift weights.

I don't lift for calories but I track them and eat them because having the extra food helps with my recovery and my lifts. I feel a distinct difference when I don't add them in. I'm petite and a couple hundred calories make a big difference.

I agree. It make a difference for me as well.

And I will third the sentiment. I can't lift and be active without eating my lifting calories. Lethargy, through lack of adequate fuelling, is not pleasant.

Cheers, h.

Agreed--you want to eat more when you lift, especially protein. I guess I meant that the actual calories burned from lifting is going to be low (compared to cardio). And I think on MFP you have to enter in individual exercises, which is the answer to the OP's question. I think you could also just add in a "generic" calories burned (which, depending on how much you weigh, could be 100 calories for a half hour). Tracking calories burned from weight training though seems like (imo) treating it like its cardio, and it's not. If you lift weights for an hour, you need a different kind of recovery meal than if you ran for an hour.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I have a setting on my Garmin 920XT for strength training that just tracks time and heart rate -- that will give me an estimate of how much my body has been working during lifting as far as cardio.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    candicew70 wrote: »
    aside from the calorie burning why are you lifting several times a day? once a day for 30-60 min is sufficient enough if lifiting heavy(proper form is needed of course).

This ^^. And I wouldn't bother trying to track calories burned during weight lifting. It's inconsequential, and it's not the reason one lift weights.

So do you also not track the calories in a banana because the calories are inconsequential?

I don't eat bananas so no to that one, but I will say that when putting in a recipe in the recipe calculator I won't include things like fish sauce because the calories in a two tbsp of fish sauce (~12 calories) in a recipe that will end up being four servings is inconsequential. If I had a reason to track sodium then I would, but don't and thus.
  • clintonfry
    clintonfry Posts: 2 Member
    Options

@clintonfry
    It's really not possible to estimate outside a sports science lab and the numbers are most likely going to be tiny.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html/[/quote]

this is another interesting issue. i have been reading articles like the one that you linked that indicates the recovery burn is less than previously thought. but that doesn't reconcile the anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

ive struggle with weight maintenence on and off for the last decade. and i can observe much better weight loss results with heavy lifting (60%-70% of max) and mild cardio than with just cardio. but I'm pretty heavy. is this possibly a "diminishing returns" sort of deal?

what i mean is: can the afterburn effect be more pronounced in people who are further away from "ideal" body mass? and the closer to ideal that you get, the less the afterburn effect is?