Not a morning exerciser

Options
A couple of months ago I joined one of those circuit gyms....12 different exercise stations that you rotate through 2x . I really like it and now that I have started counting my calories, I am seeing good results.

The biggest discovery is that I hate, hate, hate exercising in the morning. During the week I stop by on my way home from work. My workouts feel great and I feel awesome and energized afterward. I want to keep going back to the gym because I love it. On the weekends, they are only open in the early morning (7:30 and 8:30 am classes) and I hate it. I can't get through the workouts, I have to do the low impact modifications at most of the stations, and my HR is sky high. I come home feeling wrung out. I have played with eating, not eating, eating a high protein thing, eating a high carb thing. My body just does not like the early morning activity.

The reason that this is such a revelation is that throughout my many years of dieting and exercising, I have always worked out in the morning. And never stuck with it for very long because I didn't like it. I have always felt that I am "not an exercise person".

I wanted to share because there are periodically questions about whether exercising in the morning or evening is "better". For many people it may not matter, but my experience of a couple of months tells me that my best workouts are done in the afternoon/evening. It is definitely worth trying different times and seeing if your body has a preference.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Glad you gained that insight into what works for you :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have no energy in the morning. My workouts tend to be kind of listless and then I'm just beat for the rest of the day.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Isn't it wonderful when you have a eureka moment like that.

I don't operate well in the am either. My exercise hours are anything after 3pm.
    (Discovered that gem about 30 years ago at work and made the am when I did all the rote jobs, pm for brain work)

It is nice when you can have the option of working out within your optimal time frame. Unfortunately, for many, other commitments sometimes have to take priority.

Cheers, h.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I love it when I discover something new about myself that goes against "conventional wisdom".
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing trying to force morning workouts in hopes of it becoming a habit. Nope! Regardless of fuel, sleep, and attitude, I crap out after about 10 minutes. But in the afternoon I'm raring to go.
  • cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    middlehaitch "It is nice when you can have the option of working out within your optimal time frame. Unfortunately, for many, other commitments sometimes have to take priority."

So true! My attempts at morning workouts were necessary because I had kids and worked outside of the home. Now that the kids are grown and gone, there is no problem if I stop and workout in the evening and make dinner a little later.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I have found that the early afternoons work best for me- it is totally awesome when we realize something that will make the healthy aspect of our lives better- yay you!!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I always exercise after work, or in the afternoons evenings. Unless it’s hiking.

Mornings don’t work for me for weights or yoga. Do what works for you. The important thing is getting exercise, not doing it when “they” say you should.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I got up to run early this week--before sunrise--bc the mosquitos and gnats are so bad later in the day. I felt wonderful allllllll day. I had forgotten how much I love morning runs! And you are so right--it is all about what works for you!
  • priscilla6098
    priscilla6098 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tryed morning exercise because I lost 45 pounds so far but can’t get into it always prefer afternoon as well
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am with you, I am an evening night exercise person. In the morning not into it. I tried walking in mall early in morning. Not for me. So now I go around 11 and get my time in and feel better for it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It is great that you have found something that works well for you. It never ceases to amaze me though, how different we all are. If I don't get a good, solid brisk walk in first thing in the morning I am tired and find it so much harder to get through the day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter "when" you work out, as long as you do. Morning, midday or evening, just do it when it works best for you.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have no energy in the morning. My workouts tend to be kind of listless and then I'm just beat for the rest of the day.

YAS! OTOH, if I start my workout around 9:00 pm, it's just *better*.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise is better for you, whenever you prefer is up to you.

While there are some studies that suggest that exercising in the morning may be better for cognitive function and mood, these are correlation studies, correlation does not equal causation.