Losing weight

Options
Help
Help I've been doing this weeks and I'm seeing no results if any gaining. Lost couple pounds then seems to be going on
I exercise , eat within calories
Not all of them some days . When I complete diary is says your weight in 5 weeks will be this!!!!!
Well not me !!!!
Wanna give up what's point

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The 5 week weight guide MFP gives you when you complete your diary means if you ate exactly the same foods as that diary entry every day for five weeks, you would in all probability get to the weight indicated. It's a projection, not a prediction. It suggests what you could weigh, not what you will weigh.

Are you accurately weighing all your food and logging accurate entries? Are you stepping on the scales too many times? Do you see a couple of pounds lost as a small success or a huge failure? Are you expecting the weight to drop off in a timely, linear fashion?

Weight loss isn't linear. You may go for weeks not seeing any change on the scale, then all of a sudden it will show weight loss. Exercise can make you gain temporary water weight. Salt can cause water retention. Ovulation and menstruation will cause weight fluctuations. Your weight naturally fluctuates from day to day. Your scale won't tell you what's fat, what's muscle, what's water, what's food waste. It'll just tell you what you weigh at that given moment.

You have to be patient and manage your expectations. Weigh your food, log everything you eat, eat within your calories every day, enjoy what you're eating, and adjust your weight loss goals if you're trying to lose too many pounds a week. Weight loss is a journey, often a slow one with twists and turns. Why are you thinking you should be at the destination already? It doesn't work like that.
  • hollie2009
    hollie2009 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not thinking that at all but I would of thought I would of lost something by now
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    hollie2009 wrote: »
    I'm not thinking that at all but I would of thought I would of lost something by now

How long is “by now” meant to represent?
  • hollie2009
    Options
    Nearly 2 months
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Stalls suck, but they can be difficult to troubleshoot without more information. Your diary is closed to us and you aren't giving us many details.

These would be my very generic suggestions without a lot of info, though:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

As you can all tell am very new to this
    Have had some very Nasty reploes which I've deleted so apologies if all new to me .
    Thanks you for all your tips . I have been what I thought tracking . Been exercising more since end July .
    I think my calories are too much 1600 a day ??
    So may adjust these.

Your calories are based on your height, weight, age, gender, activity level (before exercise), and rate of loss chosen. Google TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This will give you an estimate on your maintenance (including exercise). Everything is an estimate; TDEE and calorie intake. Measure the best you can, but expect some fluctuation here and there. Weight loss won't be linear.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your stats in MFP and if so, what calorie goal did it give you?

are you weight all the food and logging EVERYTHING in MFP including liquids other than regular tap water.
  • hollie2009
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

are you weight all the food and logging EVERYTHING in MFP including liquids other than regular tap water.

It said 1600 calories
    As best I can I'm logging odd things may forget !!
  • hollie2009
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Stalls suck, but they can be difficult to troubleshoot without more information. Your diary is closed to us and you aren't giving us many details.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Have had some very Nasty reploes which I've deleted so apologies if all new to me .
    Thanks you for all your tips . I have been what I thought tracking . Been exercising more since end July .
    So may adjust these.

Your calories are based on your height, weight, age, gender, activity level (before exercise), and rate of loss chosen. Google TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This will give you an estimate on your maintenance (including exercise). Everything is an estimate; TDEE and calorie intake. Measure the best you can, but expect some fluctuation here and there. Weight loss won't be linear.

It said 2 ,077 calories when I did tdee
  • hollie2009
    Options
    It said 2,077 when I did tdee
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    TDEE is your maintenance including exercise. MFP does not use TDEE, it uses NEAT which calculates your calorie needs without intentional exercise. You add that in after the fact. The two should come close in the end.

The advice given by dianne is, as usual, spot on. Follow that, log everything, and you'll get there.

ETA, as Millicent suggested:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

It said 1600 calories

It's great that you are logging your food but are you weighing everything (on a scale in grams/ounces)?
  • hollie2009
    Options

It said 1600 calories

It's great that you are logging your food but are you weighing everything (on a scale in grams/ounces)?

Pretty much but could be better tbh so will try
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

So may adjust these.

Looking back through your diary now, I'm not sure why that would matter since you've only come close to 1600 calories a handful of times in the last month.

Did you really only eat 168 calories on Sept 2 or are you only partially logging some days?
  • hollie2009
    Options

So may adjust these.

Looking back through your diary now, I'm not sure why that would matter since you've only come close to 1600 calories a handful of times in the last month.

Did you really only eat 168 calories on Sept 2 or are you only partially logging some days?

No probably didn't log all that day some days I forget .
    Had a family day that day