Weight Loss with Endometriosis

Options
Pretty soon i am going to need a hystorectomy. But until then, I need a diet friendly to weight loss that also helps prevent endo flare ups... Anyone else got same issue?

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have have endo but I’m not having a hysterectomy, so I can’t help with that part.

My best tip would be to stay within your calorie deficit if you can’t exercise. You’ll still lose weight, and that will help you to continue to lose weight while you’re recovering from surgery.
  • Candyspun
    Options
    I just realised you were asking about food that are endo friendly. There are lots of websites and good books on eating in an endo friendly way, also anti inflammatory foods are wonderful for us.

It just takes a lot of research and experimentation. Also, avoid being too strict with endo friendly foods; if you eat something that isn’t considered friendly to our disease, it’s not the end of the world.
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking out the book 'One Part Plant' - it is all about a diet friendly to endometroisis. I also have a close friend who also has endo, she is now two months full vegan, and has said she has never felt better, and that her tummy/pelvic region feels really different just from the diet. I'm tempted to try that myself but don't know if I would be able to hack it!
  • inner_beauty
    inner_beauty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have endo but not looking to have a hysterectomy. Just trying to manage flare ups as best I can and lose all this weight I've put on. Honestly, I haven't been the same as far as being able to lose weight since my lap, and that was almost two years ago. Very frustrating. Not a fan of the endo diet, though it is supposed to be beneficial to us. I just can't let go of caffeine. Seems like soy or dairy is in everything I like. It's hard enough to eat right, but adding in even more restrictions makes it so much harder to stay the course. I just want to be normal.
  • Candyspun
    Options
    Yes, I have endo but not looking to have a hysterectomy. Just trying to manage flare ups as best I can and lose all this weight I've put on. Honestly, I haven't been the same as far as being able to lose weight since my lap, and that was almost two years ago. Very frustrating. Not a fan of the endo diet, though it is supposed to be beneficial to us. I just can't let go of caffeine. Seems like soy or dairy is in everything I like. It's hard enough to eat right, but adding in even more restrictions makes it so much harder to stay the course. I just want to be normal.

I tried that, too. I found that starting with restrictions made it impossible, because what can we eat? I had better luck when I started introducing helpful foods first. I found that actually leaves less space for the less desirable food.

I haven’t quit caffeine but I have made a drastic reduction. I avoid soy in my day to day life, but if I’m having a treat of sushi (I can’t have it all the time, because we have to travel for it), then I will put soy sauce on it. I find it’s making little changes here and there that add up to a bigger difference.

My main focus is on food that helps to create simple bowel movements, because that’s what causes the most pain if I can’t keep that happening. It’s different for everyone.
  • LyfeCh4ng3z
    LyfeCh4ng3z Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you Guys. I am shocked others feel as I do. An Endo diet is quite Restrictive. My gyno thought I may have Endometrial Cancer so she did a biopsy tuesday. Hoping for the best.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had adenomyosis and suffered for years. Finally had a full hysterectomy about a year ago. Weight management was more difficult prior to surgery and during recovery because I was significantly less active. Now that I feel *ahhhmaaazzzing* it is much easier.

Be patient with yourself. Discuss weight management with your doctor leading up to surgery. If you are at a relatively healthy weight they often want you to maintain instead of lose.
  • DancinYogi87
    DancinYogi87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis. Have been suffering with it since I was 16, didn't get it diagnosed until I was 27. Had a laparoscopy when I was 27 to remove any endo.

Side note- make sure to research the hysterectomy before having it done. Especially if you are doing it in hopes of getting rid of endometriosis. That does not guaranty that the pain will go away. Endo is fed by estrogen, which your body will still produce after the hysterectomy.

I cut out most dairy, that helped me out immensely. I"m working on cutting out most excess sugar and most gluten now. There is an Anti-inflammatory diet that they recommend for endo sufferers. It is very restrictive, though. Which I didn't have the patience for.
  • MomInSpain
    MomInSpain Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Just recently (FINALLY!) diagnosed with endo yesterday, and I am 48. I also have fibroids, which I have had surgery for in the past, but they keep reproducing. Pain has been getting very bad lately, even between periods, which I now believe is because of the endometriosis, not the fibroids (which have not grown).

Could you please provide specific links to these endo diets? I have seen conflicting recommendations (dairy yes/no, protein yes/no/just avoid red meat), etc. I'm a bit confused.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    scfarrant wrote: »
    I recommend checking out the book 'One Part Plant' - it is all about a diet friendly to endometroisis. I also have a close friend who also has endo, she is now two months full vegan, and has said she has never felt better, and that her tummy/pelvic region feels really different just from the diet. I'm tempted to try that myself but don't know if I would be able to hack it!

I went vegan a year ago and it has been a total game changer with my period problems (endo and cysts). I didn't go vegan for this problem and wasn't expecting such a difference. Went from horrible cramping and heavy flow for over a week each month to hardly any pain (some months it's zero) and a lighter flow and length of days. I had been suffering for years, not wanting surgery or meds, and was even looking for a different job with a flexible schedule to accommodate my stupid period. SMH at how a simple diet change solved my problem.

ETA: Thinking more about it, the diet change wasn't simple in the beginning. I was overwhelmed by what to eat and which restaurants were vegan-friendly. I started making complicated (at least to me) meals, but that got old real fast. I tried a whole foods plant diet, but realized I need some junkier foods to not completely lose my mind while losing weight. So I found staples I liked that were easy to prepare (canned, pre-packaged, frozen) and now this diet feels natural and easy.