Slow lose despite sticking to daily calories

Options
Im 5 weeks in and only lost 5.5lbs. Sticking to 1200cal per day. Exercising 3 times a week. How do ppl stay on plan. I expecting 2lb per week but this is so slow. Any tips or comments welcome. Ashley

Replies

• ashley5080
    ashley5080 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hiya im 40yr starting weight 10 11, now im 10 4.5. Id like to b 9 7 is a realistic weight for me to maintain any lower i struggle. Im 5ft 3 ish lol. Im still focused just feelin id wud hav had 10lbs off in 5 weeks. Tx
  • ashley5080
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Over 1 lb per week is still success. Most likely you are eating more than you think and burning less than you think.

Focus on your success. Keep on going. This takes patience. Your goals might be farther off than you want, but that is okay.

Mindful advice thanku. Staying focused my goal might just take longer but i will get there ehh 🤞💪
  • ashley5080
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ashley5080 wrote: »
    Im 5 weeks in and only lost 5.5lbs. Sticking to 1200cal per day. Exercising 3 times a week. How do ppl stay on plan. I expecting 2lb per week but this is so slow. Any tips or comments welcome. Ashley

What you’re expecting and what your body can reasonably support may not be aligned. From your stats below you are looking to lose less than 20 lbs total? In fact the 1 lb/week may be too aggressive. For less than 20 lbs to lose it’s usually recommended to aim for 0.5 lb/week to preserve lean body mass.

Very true good to hear ur thoughts. Im lost 5 inches round my waist from new exercise hitt workout at home. So i sud b supa pleased and focus on 0.5lb off per week as u said. Tx 👏🤩
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise caloriesOP? You should be. What about a food scale for logging?
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

What you’re expecting and what your body can reasonably support may not be aligned. From your stats below you are looking to lose less than 20 lbs total? In fact the 1 lb/week may be too aggressive. For less than 20 lbs to lose it’s usually recommended to aim for 0.5 lb/week to preserve lean body mass.

Very true good to hear ur thoughts. Im lost 5 inches round my waist from new exercise hitt workout at home. So i sud b supa pleased and focus on 0.5lb off per week as u said. Tx 👏🤩

5.5lbs in five weeks and a 5 inch loss is a great achievement. Count every ounce and centimetre lost as a success. It can take time to get into that "slow and steady" mindset because we're constantly bombarded with 'Lose 5lbs in five days! If you don't lose a stone in a week you're doing it wrong!' messages that just aren't realistic. You're doing really well, so give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.
  • ashley5080
    Options

5.5lbs in five weeks and a 5 inch loss is a great achievement. Count every ounce and centimetre lost as a success. It can take time to get into that "slow and steady" mindset because we're constantly bombarded with 'Lose 5lbs in five days! If you don't lose a stone in a week you're doing it wrong!' messages that just aren't realistic. You're doing really well, so give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

Im listening, smilin and will pat myself on the back 4 sure. Thanku for messagin. Tx
  • ashley5080
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise caloriesOP? You should be. What about a food scale for logging?

Im not eating my exercise as its only 200 cals. Low impact hitt at home. Counting my cals through scannin the packet as its more accurate. I think may im wrong. Wot next please. Tx
  • mooncatdesignsatx
    Options

You're SUPPOSED to eat back exercise calories? I stopped doing that because I thought it might help me lose faster.

Then again myself and this poster are very different. I'm 5 8" and started at 226 lbs and have lost 9.3 lbs in 43 days. I'm opting for 1 pound a week but have my calories set at 1400 rather than the suggested 1830 to make it happen faster. I'm pretty sedentary with work so I have to make sure not to overeat. Should I be eating the calories I lose exercising ?

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Im not eating my exercise as its only 200 cals. Low impact hitt at home. Counting my cals through scannin the packet as its more accurate. I think may im wrong. Wot next please. Tx

Sometimes the container will have more or less weight wise then on the package so there can be variation. Personally i haven't found the variation there to be significant enough to hamper weight loss so I haven't bothered. But I am overall careful about logging and have some slack with exercise calories.

HOWEVER, are you ONLY eating stuff prepackaged? no fruit or veggy? or meat? those need to be weighed and logged (unless it's X gram of chicken you buy and you input that weight raw and split between servings you will be eating I guess then no read need to re-weight)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    Never, ever, ever, use the word 'only' in a sentence that starts with 'I' and is followed by 'lost'.

^^ agreed

OP you're losing just fine, adjust your expectations as you don't have much to lose 0.5-1lb per week loss is ideal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You're SUPPOSED to eat back exercise calories? I stopped doing that because I thought it might help me lose faster.

Then again myself and this poster are very different. I'm 5 8" and started at 226 lbs and have lost 9.3 lbs in 43 days. I'm opting for 1 pound a week but have my calories set at 1400 rather than the suggested 1830 to make it happen faster. I'm pretty sedentary with work so I have to make sure not to overeat. Should I be eating the calories I lose exercising ?

If you are using MFP to calculate your calorie goal, then that is a NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) goal and therefore excludes exercise. MFP is set up such that even if you do no exercise at all, you would lose at the rate you chose during set up. If you do exercise, you are supposed to eat those calories back, to avoid having too large of a deficit. That said - some people find that the calorie burn estimates are inflated so they focus on only eating back a portion of the calories until they establish how accurate those calorie burn projections are for them..

You've lost ~ 9 lbs in 6 weeks so you are losing slightly faster than the projected 1 lb/week you desire, but you went with a lower calorie goal (1400) than the recommended from MFP, even still it's not the exact rate that the numbers would suggest. Are you using a food scale for logging accuracy? That's the best way to ensure that you can have confidence that you are eating to the right calorie goal for your desired rate of loss.

• ashley5080
    Options

Thanku for ur reply and personal information. Id say we r supposed to b eating the extra calories. Mayb im not eating enuf tbh. Im counting religiously most days slighly under by 50 or so. But wot the slowish lose id better not eat more. I walk a bit in work but not enuf to count as extra. Thanks again. Good 2 kn ppl r reading. Tx
  • ashley5080
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Sometimes the container will have more or less weight wise then on the package so there can be variation. Personally i haven't found the variation there to be significant enough to hamper weight loss so I haven't bothered. But I am overall careful about logging and have some slack with exercise calories.

HOWEVER, are you ONLY eating stuff prepackaged? no fruit or veggy? or meat? those need to be weighed and logged (unless it's X gram of chicken you buy and you input that weight raw and split between servings you will be eating I guess then no read need to re-weight)

I know wot ur sayin...much fresh stuff salad and veg dinners even thats difficult to count at times. Like wot is a med apple or orangle. Iv at least i meal of veg and 3 pieces or fruit a day. Most days r well balanced i hope 🤞
  • ashley5080
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    Never, ever, ever, use the word 'only' in a sentence that starts with 'I' and is followed by 'lost'.

^^ agreed

OP you're losing just fine, adjust your expectations as you don't have much to lose 0.5-1lb per week loss is ideal.

Much appreciated. Iv bn overthinkin but on up side im 5 weeks in and in a good routine .tx
  • stargazerscribe
    stargazerscribe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slow too, despite exercise and eating right. But you do have to defecit 3500 calories to equal one pound of fat burned off. If you're burning more than you're eating, that's good, but remember its gonna have to add up to 3500 before you really get a whole pound of fat off. You're doing a healthy, steady pace!
  • ashley5080
    Options
    Glad to hear like minded ppl on hear. I expected to much and need to appreaciate the lose so far. Easy to give up than keep going. Do u eat all ur daily cals and ur exercise 1s. Tx