FAGE / CHOBANI GREEK YOGURT?!? Calling all greek yogurt love

Options
Hi everyone! So.. I notice alot of you eat greek yogurt.. I have a couple of fage yogurts in my fridge sitting there. I'm trying to be low on sugar as well maintain a healthy diet.. and heard greek yogurt is great as a snack or even a meal with some cut up fruits.

Is GREEK YOGURT as healthy as everyone says it is? I have the Total 0% Fage at home but the sugar is 9grams.. and well only 120 cals. Isn't that alot of sugar..? Someone fill me in on this please, still so new to this!!

Replies

• bearsfan2334
    Options
    Chobani all the way. Best Taste!!!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is made from milk, which has lactose (milk sugar). It's not processed sugar--it's naturally occuring in the food. Unless you're diabetic or lactose intolerant, I don't think this is anything to worry about if you eat it in moderation. And yes... Greek yogurt is VERY good for you! Fage is my favorite brand, too. :)
  • dailyorange
    Options
    Plain is the way to go! The sugar comes from the milk that is used to make yogurt. Milk has lactose and lactose is a type of sugar. I wouldn't worry so much about it. It's the added sugars that people should avoid!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    My favorite is Athenos. But I also like Oikos. Chobani is good but not #1 on my list. And yes it is definitely a great snack. Not a meal replacement for me though. I eat all the time b/c I work out a lot.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very good for you! Not all greek yogurts are made alike but you've definitely picked one of the good brands. Some of the brands are just jumping on the band wagon but Fage, Chobani and Brown Cow (among others) are really good picks becuase they're natural, high in protein and pro-biotics and fairly low in sugar considering other yogurts are typically much higher.

I'm not one to count my sugars because most of what I eat in that category comes from natural sources so why get all freaked out by a high number that really doesn't matter. it's the added sugars that you need to worry about IMHO.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love Total 0% yoghurt!! Whether or not it's high in sugar will depend on how much sugar your looking at sticking to per day and how much yoghurt you eat lol. The way I see it is that it's low in fat and calories so it's gotta have something in there. Moderation is the key :-))
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So good for you! I add honey, a little lite granola, walnuts and haalf a banana yumm. Low cal, high protein and most of all the probiotics are so good for digestion.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have plain Chobani for breakfast with some berries. Yummy, high in protein, and low in sugar!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm a Fage fan - plain 0% - I mix in fruit (overripe bananas) and chocolate protein powder and it's very tasty. Good breakfast substitute if you want a change and some protein / dairy for your day.
  • kacia1976
    kacia1976 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prefer Fage 0% plain! I like to mix it with applesauce (no sugar added) and cinnamon. Otherwise I'll add a Tbsp of low sugar strawberry jam (Smuckers). It's actually lower in calories and sugar than many other regular yogurts but with over double the amount of protein! It takes some time to adjust to the taste (less sweet than regular yogurt) but now I prefer it and think the others are too sweet.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i don't know if Greek yogurt is better health wise or not, i like yogurt. i love regular whole fat yogurt but i don't eat it because of the fat content. The best yogurts are made in the Mediterranean and Middle East.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I prefer Chobani as it has the highest protein for an 8 oz. Serving @ 23 grams with the blue non fat container.
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Plain is the way to go!

No way! I don't know how you people eat that stuff plain. BLAH! So gross. Way too sour. It's meant as a topping for greek style sandwiches with pita and meat, it's a greek sauce, like sour cream.

I *love* Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt though. They come in 4 oz individual servings, and it's delicious with berries and some cereal.
    Only 110 calories, 11 g Sugar, 15 g Protein, 12 g carbs.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    Chobani all the way! :) I think it has 7 g of sugar and a whopping 18 g of protein in the plain 0%... it's super creamy and doesn't get that nasty fluid on top. Super cute container too. I love it with 1/4 cup of kashi go lean and 1/4 cup of blueberries! Or mix in some sugar free jello mix. Yaaah!