Keto and Cholesterol

Options
Hi everyone! I have been doing Keto for quite awhile and really liked it because I thought it was really easy to follow since haven’t eaten gluten in 4 years anyways. But, I just got my annual blood work done and my cholesterol was through the roof! I mean really super high!! It went up over 30 points!

High cholesterol runs in my family anyways and I’ve struggled with it in the past so I can’t have it being this high, so no more Keto for me. My question is, is this common with Keto? And, since I’m going back to regular dieting, what should my percentages be to get my cholesterol down.

Thanks a bunch ❤️

Replies

• lhanley163
    lhanley163 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have started doing Keto a couple of weeks ago and this is what I was thinking about too. It’s so hard to find a good balanced diet
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Anikib wrote: »
    My HDL went up from 225 to 258 and my LDL went from 156 to 188. My Dr said at 190, they put you on medication. That’s the last thinking I want is to be on medication. High cholesterol runs on both sides of my family.

So your total cholesterol was 446, up from 381? At least your Cholesterol to HDL ratio is 1.7, which is really good. Ideal is less than 5.1. This is probably why your Dr. has not put you on medication to reduce total cholesterol yet.

You say you do keto because it is easy for you. You might want to rethink some of your foods. You can easily add carbs without adding gluten. Eat more fruit and vegetables, especially starchy ones. Add beans and legumes for fiber.

• BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This is why I am afraid to try Keto (aside from the fact that I just don't think I have the willpower to limit my carbs to that extreme).. I was pre-diabetic last summer and reduced my carb intake to around 100 (net) carbs a day and was able to bring my blood sugars back into the normal range. However, my cholesterol was up on routine bloodwork done a few months later. Coincidence, or was it all those eggs, cheese, etc I ate when trying to reduce the carbs? I don't know, but I am not willing to risk having it go higher.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    This is why I am afraid to try Keto (aside from the fact that I just don't think I have the willpower to limit my carbs to that extreme).. I was pre-diabetic last summer and reduced my carb intake to around 100 (net) carbs a day and was able to bring my blood sugars back into the normal range. However, my cholesterol was up on routine bloodwork done a few months later. Coincidence, or was it all those eggs, cheese, etc I ate when trying to reduce the carbs? I don't know, but I am not willing to risk having it go higher.

Can you get your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian? They may be able to help you find a healthy way to eat while managing your issues.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    julubeet wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my RD at mayo clinic stated very bluntly that KETO is a therapeutic diet only for use in the most extreme circumstances. It definitely can shoot up cholesterol, especially if your genetics are not in your favor. I went on it for a month and my cholesterol was through the roof. Her answer and what worked for me was to eat the rainbow! The classic diet of whole grains, tons of fiber, tons of fruits and veggies was spot on. She also mentioned looking into the Nordic or Mediterranean ways of eating as they are some of the healthiest diets in the world. Don't do a fad diet, it will only bite you in the *kitten* (and the arteries).

Absolutely. Your opinion is worth it. When rigid eating rules your life, get ready for the food explosion that may sneak up on you out of the blue. Might be a year or two down the road but rigid eating, eliminating food groups for months or years can cause a course correction that will not be denied. The brain kicks into overdrive because those old neural pathways don't really die. They just go dormant until you fall asleep at the wheel. If it wasn't true, there would be no such thing as eating it all back with rebound weight gain.

This may be true for some people but there are folks on these boards who have successfully maintained on low-carb/keto for upwards of 5 years or more.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Because the body needs cholesterol to make hormones etc, the body can make its own. It is possible for there to be a failing in the endocrine system which allows cholesterol production to go into over drive. Information found on medical papers, please do your own research. Cholesterol does not automatically come from ingested foods.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Anikib wrote: »
    My HDL went up from 225 to 258 and my LDL went from 156 to 188. My Dr said at 190, they put you on medication. That’s the last thinking I want is to be on medication. High cholesterol runs on both sides of my family.

How was your HDL this high? That seems astronomical for this particular type of lipoprotein.