Any over 40 women that have reached goals?

Options
I just want someone to tell me that it is possible to go from obese to thin at my age. I have 4 kids and my youngest is 10 weeks. Looking for friends/accountability partner/mentor.

Replies

• lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am almost 41 and feel like I am in the best shape I have ever been in both internally and externally. It is possible. But you have to to be honest about what you consume. It’s not necessarily easy (though it does get easier) but it is absolutely possible to improve your health and your body shape after 40.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, it is definitely possible, as many here can attest. I am 64 and went from 168 lbs down to maintaining at 110 lbs since December. As lulehlu mentioned, you must be willing to be very honest about what you are consuming every day. And hold yourself accountable. It's not easy, but it's worth it.
  • Ckezar1
    Ckezar1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love see all these post would love to be friends with anyone that is in our age range that is working on a healthier life by losing weight
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just want someone to tell me that it is possible to go from obese to thin at my age. I have 4 kids and my youngest is 10 weeks. Looking for friends/accountability partner/mentor.

yes it is possible. i haven't reached my ultimate goal (I am soon to be 43 years old) but i have reached small goals 10 and then 20 pounds+ so far. it is taking a lot longer than weight loss did when i was young and could lose 20 pounds in a month, but progress is progress. just be patient with yourself and my ultimate goal isn't to be thin but to be at a healthy weight. new studies say that being a bit "overweight" per the standard height/weight chart leads to a longer life anyway. so that's my goal. i find that that weight is when i feel my best anyway. just a tad overweight. (i have heavy bones and am fairly muscular though) being thin just can have such negative connotations around it, like malnutrition and excessive frailty and such. I just hope you are in a good mindset regarding your body image. and if you are still breastfeeding, now is a great time to take advantage of the excessive calories you are expending to lose weight. with four kids it must be hard to find time to yourself, but if you can fit in a 40-45 minutes exercise video or something equivalent that really works you into a sweat you will probably make great strides if you can do it at least once or twice a week. I recommend step aerobics personally. I find it fun and really challenging and fairly quick and effective.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I had been obese all my life. I started losing weight when I was 39 and over 27 stone. I am now 41, 11 1/2 stone, and a BMI juuust inside the normal range.

So yes, it can be done.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I found MFP when I was 42 in 2012, got to goal in 2013 and been in maintenance ever since :smile:
    I had 25lbs to lose, so was in the over weight category rather than obese.

Its absolutely doable and worth the effort.

All the best.
    Ruth :smile:
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am 40. I have lost 90lbs/41kg in the last 12,5 months and plan to lose some more. Age is the irrelevant number on this journey. The only number you need to know and watch is the number of calories 😉
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i am 51 and lost 45 pounds on Weight Watchers. I have been in maintenance now for about 5 months. I am now a lifetime member. WW has always worked for me. I needed that accountability that i could not get doing it alone. I have also used this site as well. It is definitely possible to lost weight and to become that you you want to be. Good luck to you in this journey
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 , we have such similar stats. You look amazing and I have a few more pounds to go. You’ve been an inspiration to me here in more ways than one—thanks so much!