BCAA's Causing Soreness?

Options
I've noticed that when I drink BCAA's during my workout, my muscles tend be more sore (and for longer) than when I drink just water. Currently i'm taking Scivation Xtend BCAA's and only drink them on days that I lift.
At first I thought I might be lifting too heavy but after I went a few days lifting lighter I found that wasn't the case. Plus my form was correct with&without the heavier weights.
Has anyone else had this problem? Should I switch BCAA's, just forget about them, or do something else?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It might be something else in the cocktail of ingredients....
    But "just forget about them" is the best option. BCAAs are pretty much a waste of money.

Why do you feel the need for anything except water? What benefit are you seeking from a workout drink?
  • MamaWatermelon
    MamaWatermelon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    But "just forget about them" is the best option. BCAAs are pretty much a waste of money.

Why do you feel the need for anything except water? What benefit are you seeking from a workout drink?

I just knew BCAA's were supposed to help you recover quicker so I thought that sounded pretty nice and decided to give it a go
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I just knew BCAA's were supposed to help you recover quicker so I thought that sounded pretty nice and decided to give it a go

I would lean more towards "supposed to".
    If you are having recovery issues personally I would look more at programming rather than supplementation.

Worth a read and Scivation gets a (not very favourable!) mention....

https://www.foodforfitness.co.uk/bcaas/
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are you working out harder/longer while consuming BCAA's compared to before you started BCAA's? The extended soreness could just be you overworking the muscles and them taking longer to recover.

As other have mentioned and is also my guess is the BCAA's probably have nothing to do with the extended soreness. No scientific benefits proven in humans yet.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options

You get BCAAs from your diet, you don't need to take them as a supplement. There is no evidence they do anything as an additional supplement. Any apparent feeling of faster recovery is considered a placebo effect.