Is an iced coffee a few times a week while dropping a dress size counterintuitive

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Do you understand how weight loss works? It’s all about calories.
    If the iced coffee fits in your calorie goal, how could it prevent you from reaching your weight loss goal? What would be the reason that you were concerned about?

QFT. If it gets you through the week (or day), go for it.

edited to fix quote
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Coffee is like 5 calories per 8 oz...hot or iced wouldn't make a difference. I drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day...I live in the desert and it's hot here, so it's often iced.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options
    I get iced coffee from starbucks sometimes, 16oz with soy & sugar free vanilla=35 calories
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I find that not having a coffee from Dunks or refresher from Starbucks is counter-intuitive to my functioning as a normal human being.

(In all seriousness, if you can make it work into your daily/weekly calories, have at it!)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Are you having iced coffee or a coffee flavored milk shake (Frappacino)?

Just coffee + ice is 5-10 calories. The creamy sweetened stuff can easily have 1000 calories or more.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Since she’s trying to fit into a dress within a certain amount of time that would probably hint that she’s worried about the amount of calories in her coffee, and I doubt it’s the one with only 5 calories.

If your coffee is that important to you just fit it in your calorie limit
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Coffee is like 5 calories per 8 oz...hot or iced wouldn't make a difference. I drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day...I live in the desert and it's hot here, so it's often iced.

As has been mentioned already, that isn't what everyone means by iced coffee.

Seems obvious to me that OP means one of the higher calorie versions, like I mentioned in my last post.

Nobody where I live would think iced coffee meant black coffee with ice in it.

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

As has been mentioned already, that isn't what everyone means by iced coffee.

Seems obvious to me that OP means one of the higher calorie versions, like I mentioned in my last post.

Nobody where I live would think iced coffee meant black coffee with ice in it.

Where I live black coffee + ice is exactly what you get with an iced coffee. Also, iced tea = tea + ice, nothing else.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Well to me iced coffee means, simply, ice and coffee. Even if I go somewhere and order an iced coffee I have to specify with milk and syrup, or I will get a cup of plain coffee and ice. Unless you go to McDonalds LOL

Anyway, no particular item in your diet is going to cause you to gain weight. If it fits into your calorie goal, then you will still lose weight.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The "iced coffee" I'd always get in the past were frappacunios from Starbucks and they're like 400+cals! Huge eye opener when I started here and started logging,now I just make my own with unsweetened almond milk and 2 or 3 (depending on the flavor) tablespoons of coffee creamer it comes to around 85 to 120 or so cals
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    Yes and if you ordered an iced coffee in Australia you wouldn't get a black coffee with ice in it - you would get some milky creamy icecreamy coffee flavoured concoction.

Or you could buy a carton of iced coffee which would be the coffee flavoured version of chocolate milk.

Neither of the above anywhere near 5 - 10 calories.

I know, confusing when everyone everywhere doesn't call things by the same names as you.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    The "iced coffee" I'd always get in the past were frappacunios from Starbucks and they're like 400+cals! Huge eye opener when I started here and started logging,now I just make my own with unsweetened almond milk and 2 or 3 (depending on the flavor) tablespoons of coffee creamer it comes to around 85 to 120 or so cals

Starbucks sells things they call frappuccinnos that are hundreds of calories. They sell very different things they call iced coffee that, unless you tell them to customize it by adding something, are basically 5 or 10 calories. Why do people have to create confusion by calling things by the names of other things? If you walked into Starbucks and ordered an "iced coffee," they wouldn't give you a frappuccinno.

End grumpy rant.

ITA lol. a frappuccino is not iced coffee. An iced coffee is iced coffee. LOL
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Starbucks sells things they call frappuccinnos that are hundreds of calories. They sell very different things they call iced coffee that, unless you tell them to customize it by adding something, are basically 5 or 10 calories. Why do people have to create confusion by calling things by the names of other things? If you walked into Starbucks and ordered an "iced coffee," they wouldn't give you a frappuccinno.

End grumpy rant.

I said the "iced coffee" that "I'D" always get was the frappucino,I didn't say it like that's what EVERYONE considers iced coffee besides if I ask for an iced mocha at Starbucks it's gonna be around the same 400+ cals as the frap,jeez
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

End grumpy rant.

I said the "iced coffee" that "I'D" always get was the frappucino,I didn't say it like that's what EVERYONE considers iced coffee besides if I ask for an iced mocha at Starbucks it's gonna be around the same 400+ cals as the frap,jeez

Where I’m from we consider anything cold to be ice coffee so I get what you are saying.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If I look at one of the classic recipes - Viennese Iced Coffee - lots of ice cream, whipped cream, sugar with the coffee - then we can easily clock up 1.500 calories for a large glass. Never mind a huge slice of cake which usually goes with it.... I make my own, slim version - still lots of flavour, but low in calories.