Cleanse

Options
I have decided to cleanse my mentality of obsessive dieting programming. I have spent years doing keto, weight watchers, paleo, mfp. I just want to coexist with the food around me and make it work. I am weary of rules and substitutions. I tend to eat healthy about 75 % of the time and I hope to improve that a little bit. My goal is to track everything for a week and not worry what my macros are, or if I ate 50 extra calories. I unfollowed all of my dieting Facebook groups and am limiting other social media. It feels a little liberating and a little scary. Thank you for reading this.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the start of a good plan. Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    I applaud you for getting liberated.
    But I so much hoped this was a cleanse thread. :'(

Same.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I love this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10695975/cleanse#latest

I also particularly love the last paragraph of this comment:
    Hello. I tracked everything for my first week without attempting to change any eating habits. It taught me that I was keeping a calorie deficit Monday through Friday, and getting a calorie surplus Saturday and Sunday which was keeping me obese. I only needed to change 2 days worth of habits, rather than 7.

My wife and I tried to just log our existing diets for 2 weeks, when we started with MFP. I say “tried to” because we both found we instinctively ate less as soon as we started logging, but all the same we both got some surprising results.

For me, I found my macros were fairly close to MFP defaults, but I wasn’t getting enough protein. My wife found out that her diet was very high in fat and very low in protein. On the first day, we found that my burger was a better lunch than her superfood salad.

So the result was that we didn’t need to change much to manage our macros. I just added some protein-enhanced products and she just had a bit more protein and less dressing in her salads. Hitting the calorie goal was almost automatic, once we could both see our “balance” at a glance.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best Diet/WoE for me is the one that involves the least change from what I’d choose if my weight didn’t matter.

• webbsark
    webbsark Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the "click bait", couldn't think of a catchy title.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not what I was expecting.

Good. *nods approvingly*
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    webbsark wrote: »
    Sorry for the "click bait", couldn't think of a catchy title.

It was a refreshing change from the usual. A happy surprise, one might say.