Weight training - the most effective way to lose fat?

Options
HI, Quick question.. Im weight training a few times a week now, while eating clean and staying within my macros. Is weight training the most effective way to lose fat (combined with eating clean)? or should I be doing cardio?

Replies

• HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Losing fat comes down to being in a calorie deficit (and has nothing to do with eating 'clean' - I'm literally eating some chocolate right now, lose weight just fine). Strength training will help minimise loss of muscle mass whilst dieting, resulting in better body composition once you reach your target weight. Exercise, both strength training and cardio are for health and fitness, and the way MFP is set up you eat any exercise calories burned back anyway. You do therefore obviously get to eat a bit more if you're exercising than if you're not, which is always a good thing!

If you're going to choose one over the other, choose training. No reason not to do both though, just ensure you're adequately fuelling your workouts and allowing for proper recovery (ie, don't overdo it!).

Yes, im eating a calorie deficit, while making sure that the food is healthy and fulelling my workouts :)

Thanks for your reply :)

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    HBMairi wrote: »
    OK, i take back the clean eating description. Im on a calorie deficit, while eating high protein and cut out junk and sugar.

Neither of which are necessary for weight loss. That's what we're getting at. Obviously eating mostly nutritious foods is good for health, but it's perfectly fine to fit in some treat foods in moderation too.

Fair enough, i find it easier to stay off the chocolate altogether, or it ends up my calorie deficit doesnt happen

And that is reasonable if it is a trigger food for you. To echo nony and sijomial though a healthy, varied diet with some treats is fine as long as you stay in calorie deficit.

I rarely bring home ice cream or potato chips as they are both trigger foods for me and I have trouble controlling my intake. Chocolate I like but can stop at a reasonable portion.

Weight training in and of itself doesn't burn fat but, combined with a calorie deficit, it preserves muscle mass resulting in most of you weight loss being fat loss.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    OK, i take back the clean eating description. Im on a calorie deficit, while eating high protein and cut out junk and sugar.

Neither of which are necessary for weight loss. That's what we're getting at. Obviously eating mostly nutritious foods is good for health, but it's perfectly fine to fit in some treat foods in moderation too.

Fair enough, i find it easier to stay off the chocolate altogether, or it ends up my calorie deficit doesnt happen

That makes more sense. People usually fall into one of two catagories for a calorie deficit:

Abstainers: need to avoid certain foods or food groups because of overindulgence habits.

Moderators: those who can simply reduce portion sizes.

Both work. Some people find that simply reducing portions leaves them hungry and cannot sustain smaller portions. Others find that eliminating foods leaves them feeling deprived and cannot sustain giving up foods. Do what works for you.

So long as you're in a reasonable (too low is also bad) calorie deficit while getting your nutrients your body needs, you will lose weight. Exercise can help, for me it doesn't simply for the fact that I truly want to eat everything after a great workout so my deficit is much smaller. I exercise for health.

Or some are a little of both. I can moderate most foods. A few I cant. Overall though, I think you hit the nail on the head.