Macros vs calories

Options
Hey guys! Question: I’ve hit my calories for today but not my macros. Do I keep eating? Following keto....

Please help!

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Weight loss? Gain? Disease or pain management? Etc.

For just weight loss, I'd say calories are always king. But if you're using keto for other reasons then it may be more complex.
  • lolo4tim
    lolo4tim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found MyFitnessPal does not do math very well. I had programmed in 175c58f131p and it calculated 1750cal. Doing the math by hand, protein and carbs have 5cal/g fat has 9, it comes to 2052! So if you're going by the program generated numbers you're not going to hit both macros and calories. Do your own math, plug in your numbers then track :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    lolo4tim wrote: »
    I found MyFitnessPal does not do math very well. I had programmed in 175c58f131p and it calculated 1750cal. Doing the math by hand, protein and carbs have 5cal/g fat has 9, it comes to 2052! So if you're going by the program generated numbers you're not going to hit both macros and calories. Do your own math, plug in your numbers then track :)

that's because carbs/protein have 4cal not 5.....
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ashastar83 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Question: I’ve hit my calories for today but not my macros. Do I keep eating? Following keto....

Please help!

if you are following macros - focus on them (if you hit your ratios you will hit your calories); if you are focusing on calories - focus on them (but you may not hit your macros even if you hit your calories) - you need to decide what works for you
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lolo4tim wrote: »

Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram.

OP, the entries in the database are mostly user entered, and not everyone pays attention to macros, so you need to check them before using them. Also, there is a certain amount of rounding allowed on food packages, so it's not unusual to be off a little at the end of the day.

I don't do keto, but I believe the important macro is to keep your carbs under a certain number. Regardless, if your primary goal is weight loss, hitting your calorie goal is what will make that happen.

Calories for weight loss/gain.
    Macros for satiety, and certain health and fitness goals.
    :drinker: