Morning Drink Alternatives?

I’ve figured out that as much as I love breakfast foods, breakfast and I don’t really jive too well. If I eat breakfast before work, I can’t stop thinking about food all day and find myself feeling really snacky and famished by the time I get home. Basically, if I have breakfast, I feel prone to overeating and making worse choices.

However, if I don’t have something in the morning, I don’t feel well, so I usually get a ~350 calorie hot latte in the morning. This keeps me feeling satisfied and on track. I feel content with a hot latte until my 2:00 lunch. I don’t feel super snacky and like I’m fighting an urge in latte mornings, but lattes aren’t exactly nutritious, so I’m looking for alternatives that are at least good for me if they’re going to take up so much of my daily intake.

I’m considering switching to a morning smoothie for my commute because I live in Florida, but when I have coffee, I’m normally sipping it from 8:30 to 11-12. My office is cold, so cold might not be ideal? Also, I feel like the coffee being hot is part of what makes it so satisfying. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just crazy? Is there a common hot alternative to coffee for people that want to not ingest sugarbombs every day, or is that just soup lol?

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Soup would be a more nutritious way to warm up :smile:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Have you tried a skinny latte? I know a lot of people don't care for them, but I really don't get why it has to be all or nothing. A skinny latte with a couple of sugars if you need it somewhat sweet. I would at least try that; it will be considerably less than 350 calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I’ve figured out that as much as I love breakfast foods, breakfast and I don’t really jive too well. If I eat breakfast before work, I can’t stop thinking about food all day and find myself feeling really snacky and famished by the time I get home. Basically, if I have breakfast, I feel prone to overeating and making worse choices.

However, if I don’t have something in the morning, I don’t feel well, so I usually get a ~350 calorie hot latte in the morning. This keeps me feeling satisfied and on track. I feel content with a hot latte until my 2:00 lunch. I don’t feel super snacky and like I’m fighting an urge in latte mornings, but lattes aren’t exactly nutritious, so I’m looking for alternatives that are at least good for me if they’re going to take up so much of my daily intake.

A latte is quite nutritious, just like milk. It's not the latte's fault that you're adding about 200 calories of sugar or syrup to it.
    I’m considering switching to a morning smoothie for my commute because I live in Florida, but when I have coffee, I’m normally sipping it from 8:30 to 11-12. My office is cold, so cold might not be ideal? Also, I feel like the coffee being hot is part of what makes it so satisfying. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just crazy?

Decades ago, when coffee was just coffee and I drank it with a big splash of milk or half and half, I could nurse a coffee or two through the morning and another one or two cups through the afternoon (after regular breakfasts and lunches) and be fine. Then I changed jobs to a place without a kitchen or coffee service, and no time to leave the office during the day to find coffee (this was before the days when Starbucks and its ilk became ubiquitous), and I started having vicious hyopoglycemic attacks. I really had to adjust what I was eating and when to deal with it.

I think it's likely that nursing a big mug of sugar water slowly through the morning is keeping your blood sugar up, and that's why you don't start feeling "snacky."
    Is there a common hot alternative to coffee for people that want to not ingest sugarbombs every day, or is that just soup lol?

I would get a bigger latte (or a second latte) without adding sweetener to it, or with the calorie-free syrups, if you prefer. Or black coffee, unsweetened or artificially sweetened. Or hot tea or hot herbal tea/tisanes. Or steamed milk, with or without an artificially sweetened syrup.
  • LoPotion
    LoPotion Posts: 25 Member
    Is the latte the only thing you're consuming in the morning? If so, I wouldn't think 350 calories is too much if it's keeping you satisfied until 2:00.

But, that's not what you asked! Is there a skinny version of your favorite latte? Or do you like tea?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    A hot alternative to sip would be soup. Cold or room temperature alternatives might be a smoothie, shake or vegetable juice (V8).
    But are you lacking nutrients for the day so much that you need to change your morning drink that works well at satisfying you?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    A hot alternative to sip would be soup. Cold or room temperature alternatives might be a smoothie, shake or vegetable juice (V8).
    But are you lacking nutrients for the day so much that you need to change your morning drink that works well at satisfying you?

Great question.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Have you tried a skinny latte? I know a lot of people don't care for them, but I really don't get why it has to be all or nothing. A skinny latte with a couple of sugars if you need it somewhat sweet. I would at least try that; it will be considerably less than 350 calories.

I have. I don’t mind them, but I prefer just indulging.

I don't understand why you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Caffeine headaches on days that I don’t have them is a big part of it. But is wanting variety that hits specific criteria really so bad?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    What specific criteria? You just want something more nutritious? Soup I guess but I personally wouldn't want to be eating soup all morning. I'd just stick with your latte, there's nothing wrong with that. You can drink a lower calorie coffee drink if you don't want to use so many calories on a drink. Or you could have a smoothie to replace the 350 calories and then drink tea the rest of the morning to warm you up.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

I have. I don’t mind them, but I prefer just indulging.

I don't understand why you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Caffeine headaches on days that I don’t have them is a big part of it. But is wanting variety that hits specific criteria really so bad?

It's also possible the caffeine is a part of what's keeping you full. Caffeine is for some people a mild appetite suppressant.

If you are looking for a hot filling drink that doesn't have caffeine, I'd say the only answer I can think of is the soup you already thought of. Unless you have medical concerns, the best way to avoid a caffeine headache is to make sure you have your coffee every day, or give it up entirely, and deal with the headaches for a few days until your body adjusts. Sorry, I know that isn't much help!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2018
    Try different breakfast and see what it works better for you. I normally have instant coffee with hot water and a bit of a plant based milk (I don't like cow's milk) + muesli and seeds or a slice of cereal bread with a bit of olive oil or rye bread. I have a second coffee before lunch. That's enough for me, but if I'm hungry, I'll get an apple or a healthy snack bar. I never buy coffee from coffee shops, I always take a small flask with me.
  • yellingkimber
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, it doesn't look like you have been logging. Before you go changing something that at least on the surface seems to be working, start logging your food, accurately and consistently. Then look at like a week's worth of logging and ask yourself some questions:

Am I hitting my calorie goal?
    Is it a struggle?
    Is my diet missing something it needs, and if so, what is that?

Then if you feel like you are wasting calories on your latte, or wasting an opportunity to improve your diet, go from there. In general, try not to fiddle with something that's accomplishing something for you, if you can help it. It might be better to add stuff you aren't getting into your other meals, while seeing if you can make some minor changes to your latte to keep the protein and fat that's probably keeping you full while shaving off a few calories.

I have coffee with milk and cocoa powder for "breakfast", then have a banana and overnight oats for Second Breakfast at work. :smiley: I go on a smoothie kick sometimes where I'll have protein powder, oats, greens, and fruit in a smoothie for breakfast, but i get bored with it pretty fast and go back to coffee. I haven't found anything that hits the spot better, and I need the caffeine!

P.S. - Please feel free to file this under "Advice I didn't ask for" and disregard it if you want, but your calorie goal of 1200 hints that you might have set yourself to sedentary and 2 lbs per week. Considering your stats, 2 lbs is too aggressive a goal, changing to a more realistic 1 lb per week may buy you more wiggle room for yummy, yummy lattes.

I actually log on an different app that has a better logging system (imo) and really only log into MFP for the community. The goals get bugged out and reset frequently. My actual intake is around 1400 calories per day and I consistently fall around 1350-1450 and give myself plenty of wiggle room.

I really appreciate the detailed response. I understand that sugar and dairy aren’t the enemy, but I think you hit the nail on the head with wanting to improve my diet. I guess part of it is that while I appreciate my morning latte for keeping me full, I’m not enjoying it anymore. I like the idea of adding oats to a smoothie, so I also appreciate that suggestion.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, it doesn't look like you have been logging. Before you go changing something that at least on the surface seems to be working, start logging your food, accurately and consistently. Then look at like a week's worth of logging and ask yourself some questions:

Is it a struggle?

Then if you feel like you are wasting calories on your latte, or wasting an opportunity to improve your diet, go from there. In general, try not to fiddle with something that's accomplishing something for you, if you can help it. It might be better to add stuff you aren't getting into your other meals, while seeing if you can make some minor changes to your latte to keep the protein and fat that's probably keeping you full while shaving off a few calories.

I have coffee with milk and cocoa powder for "breakfast", then have a banana and overnight oats for Second Breakfast at work. :smiley: I go on a smoothie kick sometimes where I'll have protein powder, oats, greens, and fruit in a smoothie for breakfast, but i get bored with it pretty fast and go back to coffee. I haven't found anything that hits the spot better, and I need the caffeine!

P.S. - Please feel free to file this under "Advice I didn't ask for" and disregard it if you want, but your calorie goal of 1200 hints that you might have set yourself to sedentary and 2 lbs per week. Considering your stats, 2 lbs is too aggressive a goal, changing to a more realistic 1 lb per week may buy you more wiggle room for yummy, yummy lattes.

I actually log on an different app that has a better logging system (imo) and really only log into MFP for the community. The goals get bugged out and reset frequently. My actual intake is around 1400 calories per day and I consistently fall around 1350-1450 and give myself plenty of wiggle room.

I really appreciate the detailed response. I understand that sugar and dairy aren’t the enemy, but I think you hit the nail on the head with wanting to improve my diet. I guess part of it is that while I appreciate my morning latte for keeping me full, I’m not enjoying it anymore. I like the idea of adding oats to a smoothie, so I also appreciate that suggestion.

Ah, gotcha. I mean, if you profit from the caffeine hit, you could make your smoothie with coffee (I do that sometimes). Or have a smoothie with a low cal, plain coffee or tea, so you get your warmth.

Cold coffee, rolled oats, chocolate protein powder, and some random frozen greens is pretty yummy for my taste! If you don't do protein powder, you could add some milk or yogurt to get that protein/fat combo.
  • yellingkimber

Is it a struggle?

Ah, gotcha. I mean, if you profit from the caffeine hit, you could make your smoothie with coffee (I do that sometimes). Or have a smoothie with a low cal, plain coffee or tea, so you get your warmth.

Cold coffee, rolled oats, chocolate protein powder, and some random frozen greens is pretty yummy for my taste! If you don't do protein powder, you could add some milk or yogurt to get that protein/fat combo.

You genius. For some reason, it never occurred to me that coffee could be a smoothie base. I usually use the vanilla Vega protein powder and use almond milk as a base, so I guess I’ll try see if having caffeine in the smoothie still keeps me full without it being something warm. If it does, I’ll like having variety and maybe the headaches are worth it haha
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Related to coffee but still with some caffeine hot: maybe try tea. I've found that English breakfast and Irish breakfast are great with a little honey and a splash of milk. I usually add a scoop of collagen peptides to mine. It would come in around 150 calories, stop be warm and satisfying, and give you 200 calories to play with to add overnight oats or something else. I have to say, I love the idea of soup. There's a brand that I like that makes an amazing roasted red pepper tomato soup. I love doing on it and it would be great in the mornings. I know your said your from Florida, but I also know that it's not unheard of to get into the 30s and 40s in January/February. Soup would be great on those mornings!!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Coffee is great in smoothie form! If you would rather have a fruit smoothie but still want caffeine, you can mix in a pre-workout powder instead. It's fairly concentrated though so be careful the first time you use it. It's also more expensive than coffee, but it's still an option.

My coffee smoothie- ( 330 calories)

6oz cold coffee (5 calories)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (120 calories)
    1/4 c cottage cheese (70 calories)
    1/4 of a banana ( about 30 calories)
    1 tbsp peanut butter (100 calories)
    a handful of spinach (5 calories)
    a few shakes of cinnamon
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Before my grandmother passed she got to the stage where she only wanted sweets like most older people do. I would sneak nutrition into her by blending together milk and chocolate protein powder before microwaving it and presenting it to her as hot chocolate. I can't remember if I ever tried it to account for the taste, but she loved it!