Plateau - No reason for it?!

Options
2»

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Plateaus can be very frustrating, especially when you feel like there's so much effort going in, but you just aren't seeing the scale budge!

A few suggestions, some of which are repeats, but worth reiterating:
    1. Buy a food scale, and start weighing all your foods. When I picked one up, I was sadly surprised at how off some of my previous measurements/estimations were.
    2. If you need volume, add more veggies - they can help fill you up without killing your calorie allotment.
    3. 3-5K kcal/day is a LOT - I was barely burning that when I was in the police academy and during my black belt testing - I'm going to hazard a guess that estimation is WAY off. And I mean WAY off. Even an active job on your feet all day, and a workout at the gym is unlikely to come to those kinds of numbers. Have you looked at your TDEE in other ways other than your FitBit?
    4. New workouts can have a few effects - they can increase your appetite, increase water retention, and most activity trackers overestimate the calories burned.
    5. Are you ONLY going off the scale? Measurements and progress photos can be pretty helpful when you're increasing your workouts and not seeing the numbers change.
    6. Finally, have you adjusted all of your settings to reflect your current weight?
    7. And finally - TRUST THE PROCESS. It does and it will work.
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gym and started doing weights 2-3x a week the scale stalled for 6 weeks. New exercise causes muscles to retain water. Eat at a reasonable deficit, and trust the science. Give yourself another 4-6 weeks before panic. Look up common causes for water weight.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think you need to step away from the scale for a second. Weighing in too often creates a poor picture in your mind of your over all health and fitness. The scale can change from day to day because of a variety of factors. Maybe only weigh in once per week or every two weeks. Focus on other measures for awhile (like measurements, the fit of your clothes, your cardio endurance, etc) and keep at your program. It will take time and I know how frustrating it can be to feel like you are giving it your all and nothing is happening. Your body is a work in progress, at any stage, and you need to honor it. Also I agree that you need to re-evaluate your food tracking and exercise level/duration. You might be consuming more than you think and burning less that what your monitor is telling you. Hang in there!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MikeNamez wrote: »
    I'm in a plateau now and have no clue what to do so i just stopped eating. Hopefully that will help.

Did you read any of the answers in this thread?!? :noway:

By stopping eating, you are setting yourself up for a binge which will definitely NOT get you to your goal.

Buy a food scale. Weigh all your food. Log it all into your food diary. Make whatever changes to your current eating that brings you within your calorie goal. That's all you need to do.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm in a plateau now and have no clue what to do so i just stopped eating. Hopefully that will help.

There are so many good ways to approach a weight loss stall but this is an example of a very, very bad one.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It says you joined just over 2 weeks ago. How are you in a plateau already? (plateau is 4-6 weeks)

I dont know squat about weight loss. I started in the middle of July, i lost weight steady for 7 weeks and hit stopped which no change in diet or exercise. Just because I wasn't on here doesn't mean i wasn't trying to lose weight.

By stopping eating, you are setting yourself up for a binge which will definitely NOT get you to your goal.

Buy a food scale. Weigh all your food. Log it all into your food diary. Make whatever changes to your current eating that brings you within your calorie goal. That's all you need to do.

No, its not at all. Food scale isn't a helpful recommendation. It's all good, ill keep searching for help. Thanks though.

I was asking for clarification. A more complete picture is better for more targeted advice. Glad you got it figured out though.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    dxysbz8hs0lb.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    This poster has another thread running with more details if people want to jump in: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10696364/plateau-question#latest
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It says you joined just over 2 weeks ago. How are you in a plateau already? (plateau is 4-6 weeks)

I dont know squat about weight loss. I started in the middle of July, i lost weight steady for 7 weeks and hit stopped which no change in diet or exercise. Just because I wasn't on here doesn't mean i wasn't trying to lose weight.

No, its not at all. Food scale isn't a helpful recommendation. It's all good, ill keep searching for help. Thanks though.

What do you imagine is going to help if not accurate knowledge of how much you are eating vs. how much you should be eating? How else do you imagine you can accurately know how much you are eating other than by using a food scale? What sort of advice do you imagine is going to help you here?

He was losing 6 pounds per week and stalled recently. Seriously, come over to the other thread and add advice there. We don't need to derail this thread further than we already have.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You are a better person than I am, diannethegeek

What you say is so true!