3 years of 'maintenance' later...

2»

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I will go on a BMI rant here ... as I have in several posts. BMI does not take into account many things like gender and age.(Did you know that the BMI was introduced in 1832?) My BMI, if I believed in it, has me at 27, which is overweight. I find that difficult to believe when I wear a size 4 or 6 Petite. It does not take into account muscle weight, and I am very muscular from my butt through my legs. And am more so now that I workout 5 days a week. I have been in maintenance for 3 years and at a higher weight than my goal was, but it is at a caloric count that I can deal with, and I look and feel great. Even my internist says to ignore the BMI because it is rarely accurate. He says professional athletes would be considered in the overweight or obese range. Better to go by weight circumference (for both genders), or use the Smart BMI calculator. According to that, I am not overweight and right where I need to be. I know this is a controversial thing to say, but it works for me. Here's some interesting things that I have found:
    https://www.smartbmicalculator.com
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bmi-is-bogus-best-way-to-tell-if-youre-a-healthy-weight-2016-9

If the smart BMI calculator is valid, my current weight is actually "optimal" for my age. I'm not completely convinced yet, but it's an interesting piece of data. I have been wondering if maybe I set my goal weight range a little too low. I'm sure not in my 20s or 30s anymore. Or 40s, but who's asking?

I think for now I'll still strive to get back to the goal range and sustain it. If I end up sustaining my current weight into perpetuity, that will still be better than where I started and FAR better than where I was headed!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2018
    try2again wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

My biggest concern is what you are going to do to maintain the weight that you are rather than continue to gain. If that means eating under maintenance for 2 weeks and eating over for 2 weeks then go for it. It all balances out. If it means upping your exercise a little without upping your food intake to allow for eating out with friends then go for it.

This was my thought. I am a huge fan of reasonable, sustainable goals, even if they don't line up with some chart or others' opinions. But have you actually stopped the weight gain at this point? What's been the trend for the last several months?

Like you, OP, I dropped 80 lbs in several chunks over 5-6 years. I would have been thrilled to maintain at my lowest, even though that was still 20 lbs over a healthy BMI for me. All my health markers had seen huge improvements and I had become much more active. But also like you, I've regained about 30 lbs over the last couple of years. Mine's mostly due to depression- I just go through long spells when I can't bring myself to care about my choices. I've never felt particularly deprived at either my deficit or my maintenance calories- I just eat for distraction from how I'm feeling. But there is also the issue that I wasn't quite being honest with myself about being in "maintenance". A 10 lb gain in a year wasn't maintenance, and that lack of diligence over time led to the 30 lbs.

So sure, if you are happy and healthy where you are at, go for it! But stay diligent, and don't just let this plan become an excuse that leaves you another 10 lbs heavier in a year or two. :)

I gained 10 lbs back in the last year. I'm trying as hard as possible to stay diligent and limit the damage though! (being honest? By looking at my numbers I should have gained 30 back! Fitbit definitely underestimates my calories by a lot).

Sometimes I wonder if it's not part of the problem too - when I'm trying to stay on track with a 250 deficit, I end up starving after a few days... could be that my deficit is just too high because my TDEE is higher than I think. It's a vicious cycle...

My health markets got WORSE after I lost the weight here.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    OP, I really hope the Mirena is a game changer for you. The physical symptoms you describe, especially anemia/fainting and bloating/pain, would make me feel a little depressed on top of it all. If there is a way to get those hormones balanced so that you feel better physically, you might feel enormously better emotionally, socially, etc as well. That is my hope for you, anyway. As others have said, no one should have to live with those conditions on an ongoing basis. That you have managed so well despite them commends your efforts. It seems fair to reevaluate the optimal weight for you, all things considered, once you know how well the Mirena gets the job done. Give it enough time to really assess it's effectiveness. I truly hope for the best on that front. And enjoy your vacation, too!