Weighing?

Options
I weigh myself everyday although I have heard that its best not to. However usually I find that:
1. I can't resist if I think i've eaten well
2. I get to know my body better, e.g what generally makes me put on weight etc
Just wondering whether anyone could shed any light..

Replies

• hempette
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday although I have heard that its best not to. However usually I find that:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

i weigh all the time there are worse things to do lol
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Your weight will change from day to day. You say that weighing daily helps you know what makes you put on weight, which really can't be possible. Yes you make weigh a pound more one day and a pound less the next, but you really aren't gaining then losing a pound. It's mainly water retention.

I can't handle the emotional ups and downs of weighing myself daily. It just seems to make the losing go slower. I like to be able to get on once a week and see that I'm down a pound or two. Instead of, up a pound one day down a pound. Down .2 down, .2 up, .2 down, .2 up .4 down .4, down .6 each time I see the #'s go up I feel bad, even though I know that at the end of the week it will be down.

Everybody has there own way of weighing in. You just have to do what works for you.
  • maclea98
    Options
    thats what i do , but you just dont panic if it doensnt go down every day , the best thigs to stay focused and dont panidc if it hasnt shifted for a couple of days cause it will.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My husband gets so flustered with me because I weigh myself every day too. But I only do it as a guide. I only log it once a week, Monday morning. I just like having an idea of how I'm doing. I think it really depends on the individual and thier mindset at to whether or not daily weighing is a good thing. If you are someone that gets discouraged easily I wouldn't suggest daily weigh ins because your weight flucuates so much during the week.

Memaw
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. more than once sometimes. it's to be avoided if it makes you feel bad, or you're getting obsessive, but I do it for the same reasons you mentioned, plus I'm just curious. I don't let a little fluctuation get me down... if someone lets that happen, they are a person who should avoid too much weighing.
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I used to weigh daily... sometimes up to 5x a day and it became an obsession.

Now I am really trying hard to only weigh once a week. Sometimes I sneak and weigh twice, but I only ever count my weigh-ins on Tuesdays.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day too. i was just looking at my calendar at my flux's. i actually enjoy weighing in every day. i only count friday's as far as MFP is concerned. I may even skip this friday because my weight seems to be up a bit. if i dont weigh everyday i obsess about it. no idea why, i just do. so stepping on that scale each morning is like some form of anxiety meds!
  • beahurey
    beahurey Posts: 108
    Options
    I used to weigh daily... sometimes up to 5x a day and it became an obsession.

Now I am really trying hard to only weigh once a week. Sometimes I sneak and weigh twice, but I only ever count my weigh-ins on Tuesdays.

This was so me!!!! And it is also so me now! I weigh in on Wednesday just to peek but officially record Saturday's weigh-in. :smile:

It is pretty hard to stay away. I lock mine up in the closet! :tongue:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday...maily because that is where I get my motivation... if I have an up day then I strive really hard that day
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to weight once a week usually on Sat. Then mid week Wednesday to give me an idea on how I was doing...but for the last month or so i have beeing weighing every day and keep track on a piece of paper, then i do an average and that's the weight I'm logging in.
    the days that I'm up....its a motivation to stay on track and work out a bit harder...the days i'm down...its a motivation that what i'm doing is working therefore makes me want to keep doing it even more..
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I do it every day too, but only log weekly. I may not do that forever, but for now when i see that .1 drop, I'm happy and motivated to work harder. If it stays the same, I want to work harder. If it goes up too much (like not the normal variation of weight) then I need to figure out what I"m doing wrong...

I think if it's healthy mentally FOR YOU to do it, it's fine, as long as you know it will fluctuate from day to day up to 2 pounds I think I read is normal... For some people this would be a bad thing though.
  • hempette
    Options
    Thanks guys, that is really helpful :happy: