Keto energy slump

Options
2»

Replies

• Strawberrygrl
    Strawberrygrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more energy on keto, the only time I have a slump in energy is when I’m due on my period, I feel low moods, drained, sluggish and tired a couple of days before and a few days into it.

I would see your doctor if it continues, it could be something else causing it and not keto

Thank you. That was helpful and might be the cause. :)
  • Strawberrygrl
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Some that go on keto discover they are creating too big a deficit.

So just like any other diet that could cause just fat loss - bigger is not always better - and body adapts to bigger than it wants by slowing you down so you burn less. Which obviously makes the deficit smaller.

If that's not enough adapting to limit a crazy situation, that's where the hair can start falling out, nails get brittle and stop growing, skin replacement slows and gets bad, ect.

So just because a diet can make it easier to adhere and not feel hungry, doesn't mean you shouldn't be eating enough.

Just as you can have vitamin & mineral deficiency at a level that causes harm but may take a bit of time to show up - so also with calorie deficiency.

I mention this because you didn't share any details regarding calorie burning or eating level - so it may not have come to mind, thinking it's only related to keto aspect of diet.

Because no, I didn't experience that.
    Actually, I'm odd ball because I can go into keto without having brain fog either for period of time.

I don't really exercise, so as far as burning calories due to exercise, there is no burning of calories that I record on my food log to deduct from my macros. I follow my macros as closely as possible each day in my log. I am within my calorie range since MFP does not allow logging when you are under 1000 calories (I usually stay within the lower range of what MFP gives me to fulfill my calories), and I usually stay within 10 g of both my fat and protein but I almost always stay under my macros. There are days when I reach my max amount or go over a gram or two, but most often it stays within 10 g of reaching max amount.

There is a max amount of carbs because of keto but not a max amount of protein or fat for most people (people without certain medical problems).

What is your age, current weight, goal weight, gender, height, and activity level? What other benefits are you getting from Keto that are worth the energy slump if it persists?

40, 160 lbs, 135 lbs, F, 5' 7.5", and I don't have much activity except for walking as needed throughout the day. I no longer have digestive issues that I had weekly not being on keto. I have never had an issue since starting keto. I have lost a few pounds and inches off my waist which is nice, and I have yet to have another migraine. My acne seems to have cleared up dramatically as well.

Oh - 500 cal max deficit then - you are way too much attempting 1000.

And you probably have the activity level wrong too - making deficit bigger.
    Sedentary is really bump on a log 7 days a week - no kids or pets, no household duties - less than 4K steps.

Desk job with minimal walking, home to chair and TV/computer, bed - that's sedentary.

Yes, it is set to sedentary. MFP will not let me log my food diary if I am under 1000 calories because it deems the lack of calories as unhealthy. MFP set my goal to 1391 so to log I have to be within 1000-1391.
  • Strawberrygrl
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

So just like any other diet that could cause just fat loss - bigger is not always better - and body adapts to bigger than it wants by slowing you down so you burn less. Which obviously makes the deficit smaller.

If that's not enough adapting to limit a crazy situation, that's where the hair can start falling out, nails get brittle and stop growing, skin replacement slows and gets bad, ect.

So just because a diet can make it easier to adhere and not feel hungry, doesn't mean you shouldn't be eating enough.

Just as you can have vitamin & mineral deficiency at a level that causes harm but may take a bit of time to show up - so also with calorie deficiency.

I mention this because you didn't share any details regarding calorie burning or eating level - so it may not have come to mind, thinking it's only related to keto aspect of diet.

Actually, I'm odd ball because I can go into keto without having brain fog either for period of time.

I don't really exercise, so as far as burning calories due to exercise, there is no burning of calories that I record on my food log to deduct from my macros. I follow my macros as closely as possible each day in my log. I am within my calorie range since MFP does not allow logging when you are under 1000 calories (I usually stay within the lower range of what MFP gives me to fulfill my calories), and I usually stay within 10 g of both my fat and protein but I almost always stay under my macros. There are days when I reach my max amount or go over a gram or two, but most often it stays within 10 g of reaching max amount.

There is a max amount of carbs because of keto but not a max amount of protein or fat for most people (people without certain medical problems).

What is your age, current weight, goal weight, gender, height, and activity level? What other benefits are you getting from Keto that are worth the energy slump if it persists?

40, 160 lbs, 135 lbs, F, 5' 7.5", and I don't have much activity except for walking as needed throughout the day. I no longer have digestive issues that I had weekly not being on keto. I have never had an issue since starting keto. I have lost a few pounds and inches off my waist which is nice, and I have yet to have another migraine. My acne seems to have cleared up dramatically as well.

Sedentary is really bump on a log 7 days a week - no kids or pets, no household duties - less than 4K steps.

Desk job with minimal walking, home to chair and TV/computer, bed - that's sedentary.

Yes, it is set to sedentary. MFP will not let me log my food diary if I am under 1000 calories because it deems the lack of calories as unhealthy. MFP set my goal to 1391 so to log I have to be within 1000-1391.

This is why you are lacking energy. You are under fueling your body so it is trying to get you to stop moving and using up what little fuel you are giving it. It is asking you to stop and eat. With your stats, 1 lb per week would be a realistic goal, and you need to eat your calories if you want to feel well. Eat more :smiley:

I take in roughly 1200 per day, whatever the max amount of what my fat and protein are. If I don't hit my max, I try to get within 10g of my max to get as close as I can to the max. 1 lb per week would be great for me, but since starting keto a little over a month ago, I have only lost 3 lbs and 2.5" off my waist. So I should just do lazy keto and worry about staying under my carbs and just eat no matter what the grams of fat and protein are? (I'm legitimately asking, not being sarcastic- lol)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You need to eat more calories. Using scoobysworkshop TDEE calculator set at lightly active, I get this for you...

s7z5q56sz3p6.jpg

BMR is the amount of calories if you were bed-ridden, absolutely no exercise. You're eating 250 calories UNDER that!!! 1600 calories looks like a good place to start.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

This is why you are lacking energy. You are under fueling your body so it is trying to get you to stop moving and using up what little fuel you are giving it. It is asking you to stop and eat. With your stats, 1 lb per week would be a realistic goal, and you need to eat your calories if you want to feel well. Eat more :smiley:

I take in roughly 1200 per day, whatever the max amount of what my fat and protein are. If I don't hit my max, I try to get within 10g of my max to get as close as I can to the max. 1 lb per week would be great for me, but since starting keto a little over a month ago, I have only lost 3 lbs and 2.5" off my waist. So I should just do lazy keto and worry about staying under my carbs and just eat no matter what the grams of fat and protein are? (I'm legitimately asking, not being sarcastic- lol)

1200 calories is not a magic number. You can eat 1200 calories and still be underfueling. Especially if you chose the most aggressive weight loss goal (2 pounds per week).
  • cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    FYI - I haven't done keto but I have done various other forms of low carb. I find that my body needs carbs. I get a burst of energy in the beginning, but the longer I stay on low carb, the worse I feel. If you add back some calories, and still don't feel better, try adding back some carbs. I'm now just doing cico, and keeping my carbs around 50% and I am so much happier. I think that everybody (and every body) is different and we need to try to find what works for our particular body and mind.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you are getting adequate calories, my guess is you may need some sodium. You are taking potassium salt but are you getting 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day? 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt.

You may get a boost once fat adapted too. Some find they get a slight decline in energy until a couple of months in once their body becomes more adept at using fat for fuel. If it is a big drop in energy, my guess is sodium.