Is fruit in the afternoon bad?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I eat fruit every single afternoon for my snack. I'm going to have to figure something out because I've been eating watermelon and pineapple ALLL summer long and this week, they both suck. It's very disappointing. :'( What fruits are good now? Apples? Apples are stupid.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    It's important to eat fruit with a little bit of fat and protein to keep your blood sugar from spiking and dropping

Not necessarily true. If you are not overeating carbs in the last 24 hours your liver and muscles will absorb the sugar very well given rates of digestion. The key for most people who are not extreme exercisers is to keep your carbs about 100-150 which keeps you comfortably out of ketosis but leaves plenty of room for quick absorption of the carbs you do eat.

If one has no health issues then it does not matter what time someone eats fruit. However if someone is a diabetic, and it may make a difference if one is a type 1 or type 2. I am a type 2 and have been told repeatedly not to eat fruit after dinner/evening. Why? Well I still take insulin and the whole point is trying to keep my blood sugars (that I test three times per day) on a fairly even keel, do not want to see much change in the numbers. Striving to see all numbers always under 120 for now.

What and how much you eat can directly affect your blood sugars both overnight and the next morning, especially if your snack choices are mostly carbohydrate foods, like crackers, chips, or fruit. Your diabetes medicine may not completely “cover” excessive eating at night and you may be unpleasantly surprised the next morning when you check your blood sugar and find that it’s higher than desired. What many people are unaware of, is that our bodies release more glucose early in the morning around Dawn. Which can lead Diabetics, and prediabetics to higher than normal Blood sugar readings. Which is why many Diabetes Dr's, and dieticians, and diabetes educators explain to their patients about which fruits are best to eat, and suggest not eating them after dinner time. Most of the above paragraph came from Mayo Clinic.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I eat fruit every single afternoon for my snack. I'm going to have to figure something out because I've been eating watermelon and pineapple ALLL summer long and this week, they both suck. It's very disappointing. :'( What fruits are good now? Apples? Apples are stupid.

Honeycrisp apples, cold out of the fridge?!? AH-mazing. Red Delicious - hard pass.

Seconding honeycrisp! Are they available yet? My husband got some really good black grapes this week, too.

I don't remember the last time I had a red delicious apple.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Honeycrisp apples, cold out of the fridge?!? AH-mazing. Red Delicious - hard pass.

Seconding honeycrisp! Are they available yet? My husband got some really good black grapes this week, too.

Yes! I have one sitting right here next to me in my work fridge right now.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Yes! I have one sitting right here next to me in my work fridge right now.

Woot! I can't wait to start my Fall Apple Diet (also includes pizza, yogurt, assorted meats and vegetables, etc...but HONEYCRISP APPLES EVERY DAY UNTIL THEY'RE GONE!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Try something new, maybe exotic: Fresh jackfruit, guavas, brown or green figs, lychee/rambutan/longan (similar but different), prickly pear, kumquat, limequat, ground cherry, anything you've never had before. You may or may not love it, but adventure is fun. :)
  • eadooo
    eadooo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ah man, the sugar cravings get me too. I stick to low GI fruits like berries and apples, then I buy single dark chocolate truffles. They're only 45 calories each, plus dark chocolate in moderation actually has some health benefits. If i'm having a sugar craving kinda day, I have one for 'dessert' after dinner :) don't believe in going cold turkey on the food I love - just makes me want it more :P
  • dontcallmelate007
    dontcallmelate007 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-time-eat-fruit#section5 If I eat fruit at dinner I usually go for 1/2 Hawaian Papaya not mexican papaya with a bit of fresh lime squeezed over it. It is very good and high in protein.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Some fruit in the afternoon is bad. Have you ever cut up watermelon in the morning and left it out of the fridge on a hot day? No way I would eat that in the afternoon as it kind of smells revolting.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Cranberries, melons, pears, plums, POMEGRANATES (oh my god do I love pomegranates), raspberries... soon citrus will be in season, too! I use Eat The Seasons to kind of keep an eye on what's ready during any given month, although they currently have a giant apples header going on.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit at all times of the day. Fruit and dairy are my top 2 food groups. I am still losing weight. I love how many vitamins are in fruit.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    It's important to eat fruit with a little bit of fat and protein to keep your blood sugar from spiking and dropping

Not necessarily true. If you are not overeating carbs in the last 24 hours your liver and muscles will absorb the sugar very well given rates of digestion. The key for most people who are not extreme exercisers is to keep your carbs about 100-150 which keeps you comfortably out of ketosis but leaves plenty of room for quick absorption of the carbs you do eat.

If one has no health issues then it does not matter what time someone eats fruit. However if someone is a diabetic, and it may make a difference if one is a type 1 or type 2. I am a type 2 and have been told repeatedly not to eat fruit after dinner/evening. Why? Well I still take insulin and the whole point is trying to keep my blood sugars (that I test three times per day) on a fairly even keel, do not want to see much change in the numbers. Striving to see all numbers always under 120 for now.

What and how much you eat can directly affect your blood sugars both overnight and the next morning, especially if your snack choices are mostly carbohydrate foods, like crackers, chips, or fruit. Your diabetes medicine may not completely “cover” excessive eating at night and you may be unpleasantly surprised the next morning when you check your blood sugar and find that it’s higher than desired. What many people are unaware of, is that our bodies release more glucose early in the morning around Dawn. Which can lead Diabetics, and prediabetics to higher than normal Blood sugar readings. Which is why many Diabetes Dr's, and dieticians, and diabetes educators explain to their patients about which fruits are best to eat, and suggest not eating them after dinner time. Most of the above paragraph came from Mayo Clinic.

We weren't talking about diabetics. People with health problems should always consult their doctors. However, what you cite says "excessive" eating at night which is why the suggestion of 100-150 grams per day of carbs. Unless you have completely uncontrolled diabetes then you are not going to get many blood glucose surprises with a relatively low carb intake like that. A banana after dinner for instance is about 25 grams of carbs and 100 calories and most people will be fine.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    You have to eat fruit between 8:47am and 1:23pm, else you'll gain all the weight you've lost back again, and then some. Seriously, find more intelligent people to hang out with or stop listening to the advice of friends (and MFPers) who are idiots. When you eat a particular food has nothing at all to do with weight loss
    LOL love it!
    Also I find that if you eat fruits veggie meats( if you are a meat eater) you will lose weight. People make it way to difficult. An apple a day keeps the doctor away and your waist smaller! :-)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's the time of year for pears and apples. I tried Opal apples last year, and loved them - they're a Golden Delicious hybrid with a more complex flavor and none of the "sponginess" you get with the Golden Delicious. Pacific Rose are also high on my list. Fresh figs come into season in late fall. Grapes, of course - I prefer black grapes, and will buy muscadine and scuppernong (southern grapes) when I can find them.