Is TDEE different from BMR?

Options
I just used the following calculator:
https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=metric&g=female&age=34&kg=86&cm=158&act=1.2&f=1

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,517 calories per day
Sedentary 1,820 calories per day

What should I consider for maintenance calories?

I am 5 2", weighs 86Kg. 34 yrs old, sedentary lifestyle.

I'm planing to do 5:2 diet and what to know what will be my maintenance calorie for the 5 days?

Thank you.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    BMR - basal metabolic rate - what your body would burn on a daily basis if you were in a coma
    TDEE - total daily energy expenditure = BMR+TEF+exercise
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1,820 calories is your TDEE (presuming your lifestyle remains sedentary.) That number is therefore your maintenance calories.

BMR is the amount you need to maintain basic functions of living and is 1,517 calories according to that calculator.

Obviously bear in mind that those calculators are approximations so you may need to tweak your calorie level over time depending on the results you get.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Assuming your day-to-day life (ie job) is sedentary, maintenance should be the 1820 + any added exercise (since it looks like you didn't tell the calculator that you did any extra exercise, the 1820 should correspond to your "net" maintenance on MFP).

If trying to lose weight, you'll want to deduct some calories from that. There is a calculator on MFP as well - if you input your specs and desired rate of loss (don't be too aggressive - 2lb/wk is too much if not fairly obese), it will give you a goal number of net calories. Log additional exercise (if you tell it you are sedentary, but then go out cycling/running - you should log it, and MFP will give you the additional calories in your goal).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!